Help... What's it worth?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
I found an Old Model (3 screw) 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Mag. It's not in the best shape as it sits with some rust on the bbl. and frame. Looks like the rust when removed will remove the bluing in spots. Maybe even a wee bit of pitting close to the end of the bbl. I'd say it's about 80%. Would likely clean up 85-90%. Bore and cylinder chambers look nice and clean. Looks all original, the serial number is nothing special according to Dougans. The kicker is it's wearing a set of what looks to be Ajax Sambar stag grips. They're in nice shape and I'd sure like to have them! Dealer has it priced at $500. Pretty firm on it. I think the grips go for about $200 but I'm wondering if the package is in the proper price-range. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Preacher

Johnnu2

Hunter
Preacher, I am FAR from a collector, so I value that gun based upon three things:
1) it sounds like it has the original lockwork.... (?) double-check to be sure it hasn't got a transfer bar slipped in there.... If you are like most of us, we value the 'non-converted' 3-screws just because... I believe the bbl length is more desireable than the longer bbl version.
2) How much 'rust' is on this gun?.....Is it just on the outside or was it so poorly cared for, the internals are rusted too ??? If you were going to resell it, rust anywhere is a big downer.
3) If you plan to keep it, a new model version would be in the $500+ range and you wouldn't get Sambar stags (that you could resell if need be)....
That being said.... I would guess, on our side of the Miss. River, $500 is 'OK'....if it's really not a rusted junker.
IMHO as always,
J

contender

Ruger Guru
For a shooter grade OM 41 mag,, not converted,, that is a fair price. The grips help it a lot.

And if you have the serious desire,, I can promise,, that if you don't get it,, you will regret it.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Truth is contender, the grips are really the only thing I have a serious desire for. Not much of a 41 guy, but then again I love 3-screws. Could buy the revolver swap out the grips and then sell the revolver hoping to have the grips at a great price but that seems to be more trouble than its worth with the price on the gun. So... I'll stew on it a while more. Thanks everyone for your insight.

The Preacher

hittman

Staff member
What's the serial number?
That piece of info could swing the price wildly one way or another.

street

Hunter
Most Stag grips that I see are in the $300 range. That leaves $200 for the gun. If you get $200.00 for the grips that leaves $300 for the gun. It's hard to find a shooter .41 Mag. for $200 to $300.