Help me understand something here?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pokey074

Bearcat
So I just picked up a Lipsey's Blackhawk flat top convertible in .45 Colt/.45ACP. It has the smaller 7/16" XR3 steel grip frame, right?

I also have a New Model Single Six which has the 1/2" XR3-RED aluminum grip frame, correct?

If I wanted to try and make them a "matching" set, would an XR3 steel grip frame (Brownell's) fit the Single Six (with fitting, of course)?

Would a set of the Ruger "bonded ivory" polymer grips thin the Single Six grip a bit? (It currently has the thick Ruger rosewood grips.)

Thanks in advance.

contender

Ruger Guru
The screw hole pattern on those guns are the same. Yes, a steel g/f will screw on. Often, if a factory one is purchased, no fitting is required.
The thinner grips will feel different, but to make them match, swap grip frames.

eveled

Hunter
I have the same Lypsey's gun, I was thinking it would be nice if it had a wider steel grip frame. Anybody know why this gun has a narrow frame?

DGW1949

Hunter
eveled said:
I have the same Lypsey's gun, I was thinking it would be nice if it had a wider steel grip frame. Anybody know why this gun has a narrow frame?

Your gun is an off-shoot of the Ruger NV which was primarily designed to capitolize on the (then) booming CAS market. By the time that Ruger decided to seriously jump in, the thinner (AKA gunfighter) grip was all the rage, and many grip (and gun makers) were falling all over themselves trying to get the right stuff to market. While most gun makers simply offered special models which featured a thinner grip, Ruger chose to make their new XR3 grip frame thinner instead....which eventualy got carried over to their (later) mid-frame BH models.

DGW

eveled

Hunter
Thanks DGW1949, makes more sense when I think of it descending from the new Vaquero, instead of from an old model flat top. :)

pokey074

Bearcat
So adding to the confusion, part #780-001-265 from Brownells, the New Vaquero grip frame, one of the Q&A's, someone asks if this is the newest production grip frame to be used without the internal lock assembly. Brownells response is that it is not. So using that frame, I guess, would entail having to find a lock and different hammer strut and spring? Anyone know where one could get a New Vaquero non-lock grip frame?

Latest posts