Help me make amends

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Which 357 Magnum Blackhawk barrel length?

• 6.5"

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • 4.6"

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tancred

Bearcat
Several years ago I had a 6.5" Stainless Blackhawk in 357 Magnum. But I traded it. Now I want another—mostly just for fun shooting. But I do like the idea of having an indestructible gun in a meaningful cartridge should the world take a turn for the worst. I reload, so I can easily shoot a wide range of loads. What I can't decide on is the barrel. Should I go for 6.5" or the handier 4.6"? Which would you choose?

Thanks,
Tancred

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
NOW...think about what you're asking AND why YOU DO NOT KNOW what you want. I do not know how'in'ell you can live with out one in EVERY barrel length.

And so it goes...

tinman

Buckeye
IMHO..... if your gonna use it for range work, or hunt with it, and are not concerned with occasionally toting it around while doing so, go with the longer bbl. If your intention is to have a readily available sidearm to carry in most any environment, I'd choose the shorter. :idea:

bogus bill

Hunter
I like the shorter barrels, but what YOU shoot the best with carries a lot of weight. Especially if it`s a 6 1/2".

NikA

Buckeye
If I were gonna buy a Blackhawk today and had my choice, it'd be a 5.5" Flattop, perhaps with a 9mm cylinder. I can't bring myself to buy one as I already have a full size one, but the full size Blackhawks are quite a bit heavier than necessary for a .357 gun.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I too would recommend the SS Flat top in 5.5" in 357 with the 9mm cylinder. That combo should handle any ammo supply problem one might encounter. It's lighter and smaller that the full size Blackhawk, but will handle full house 357's as well as 38 Special and 9mm. Five and 1/2 " is the perfect compromise between the 4.62" and the 6.5' barrels. Bob!! :D

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
One of my dream guns is a Colt New Frontier or Ruger Three Screw Blackhawk Flat Top, .357 Magnum, 7 1/2" barrel.

I've got a 6 1/2" Three Screw, not a Flat Top, and have entertained thoughts of fitting it with a Colt New Frontier barrel.

Some day, maybe.

Bob Wright

rugerguy said:
we had one years ago, mid/late 70s and cut the longer barrel to 5 inch even....loved that gun in the stainless configuration, shot more 38s than the 357 magnums......

That's interesting, Dan. Why cut it to 5" instead of 4-5/8"? Going for the additional ballistic advantage of an extra 3/8" of barrel?

:mrgreen: :p :mrgreen:

Ah, just to be different, maybe ..........wanted it a tad longer than my Model 19 4 in and my Dan Wesson 6 inch...single action "in the middle"...............we cut down Freddies old model 41 mag Blackhawk, from 6.5 to 5 inch AND put Old Army stainless grip frame (OM style) and the stainless ejector housing, now THAT gun I miss, but when the old "Seabee" passed, we gave it to his nephew.

Back to OP, it boils down to what YOU want, plinking or maybe for hunting??whatever.... 8) :wink:

Rclark

Hunter
When the 5 1/2" .357 flattop that Lipseys made available I picked one up. To me 5 1/2" barrel length is 'perfect'. I have the short .357 Anniversary revolver and the large frame 6 1/2" New Model. Didn't care much for the shorty. I carried that 6 1/2" gun a lot in the hills in my late teens and 20s, but always wished for a 5 1/2". Finally have it in the correct medium frame too. Personal preference. You just need both to figure out what 'you' like to shoot.

Chief 101

Hunter
WIL TERRY said:
NOW...think about what you're asking AND why YOU DO NOT KNOW what you want. I do not know how'in'ell you can live with out one in EVERY barrel length.

And so it goes...
...and that's the way it is!

Tancred

Bearcat
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm a little surprised. For some reason, I thought the longer barrel would be more popular. This is interesting. But I do see the advantages of the 4.6". I'm kind of leaning that way myself.

Tancred

s4s4u

Hunter
Tancred said:
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm a little surprised. For some reason, I thought the longer barrel would be more popular. This is interesting. But I do see the advantages of the 4.6". I'm kind of leaning that way myself.

Tancred

It all depends on the application.

Latest posts