Help. I think I broke my P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Remington788

Bearcat
After a session at the range, I took the slide off to give the barrel a good cleaning.
When I put it back together, I screwed something up, because the slide is in the right position, but the barrel and guide rod are sticking our the front.

1008191.jpg

Any ideas on what to do?

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
Looks like you might have forgot to lower the ejector before reassembling the pistol. If that's the case you might make a small hook with a coat hanger and try reaching up through the mag well and lowering it while manipulating the slide to take the pressure off. I can't imagine what else would cause this. Good luck.

roylt

Hunter
The barrel and guide rod assembly get hung up on the frame. Just be sure the ejector is down and take the slide off and re-try. The barrel has to go between the two frame sides. Easy fix. Just need to try again.

Let us know how it turns out.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

Remington788

Bearcat
I dont think it is the ejector. I had that issue the first time I field stripped it.
It is in the down position but I can still get little movement in the slide.
The barrel is free, it rattles around. The guide rod is immovable, though. So, I think the guide rod is not properly connected to the barrel, but hung up on the frame.
Possible?

dwd

Single-Sixer
+1 roylt

try to get the slide off and try it again. this happens from time to time.

P.S. I like Remington 788's too

Striker

Bearcat
Been there and done that..., I keep a 4 inch hooked piece of clothes hanger in my cleaning kit.., just in case :shock:

Danno

Bearcat
Well, we've all been there. As others say, reach up thru the mag well with a hooked coat hangers or small Allen wrench held by needle nose pliers (don't ask).

Push the slide back to relieve some pressure on the extractor and you're good to go.

roylt

Hunter
It can't be the ejector because his slide is back but the barrel is not. He could look in the slide hole and see the ejector as pictured above.

OP just needs to remove and try again.

Remington788

Bearcat
roylt said:
It can't be the ejector because his slide is back but the barrel is not. He could look in the slide hole and see the ejector as pictured above.

If I could get the slide to move forward I would not be asking for help. It is stuck. It will not move forward. I have read advice elsewhere advocating the use of a hammer but want to avoid that.

Danno

Bearcat
roylt said:

Oh yeah. It's the ejector. Remember, to remove th slide you must first press the ejector down into the mag well until it clicks. His picture is exactly how mine looked. I, of course, called Ruger service in a panic.

Just relax. Put a little backward pressure on the slide to take the pressure off the ejector and reach up with a hooked coat hanger or a long Allen wrench and pull the ejector down.

If you do it once, you'll never do it twice. All will be well.

roylt

Hunter
OK, I looked at the picture again and can see how it may be the ejector. IF that is up the slide stops on the bloker lever and will not move forward. Double check the ejector by looking up the mag well with a flashlight. If it is up pull it down if nit is not up then a mild tap on the back of the slide should pop it loose.

Let us know,

Remington788

Bearcat
It was NOT the ejector. Yes, it flipped back up every time I tried to move the slide, but I have a couple dental tools that I used to easily flip it back down.

Turns out that the guide rod went in a little cock-eyed and hung up on the frame.
I wrapped the exposed end with a towel for padding and used a pair of channel locks to gently wiggle it until it came loose.

I had the same problem the second time I did this and had to use the wopp and wiggle method too...
glad you got it fixed. In some ways it is just too easy to break these pistols down... kind of makes one complacent and not pay attention when putting it back together and then slam you got a locked gun.