Hello from new 10/22 owner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

First time on this forum but not my first Ruger. I have an LCR and a Super Single Six. This is my first Ruger rifle - I just picked up a 95% 10/22 for $175. I would like to put a scope on it for plinking but I would also like to use the iron sights for close range. What is the best scope and mount for this? Also, what is the best ammo to use to minimize fouling?

wwb

Hunter
Go with a scope, or stick with the iron sights, but don't try to do both.... assuming you're thinking about those gosh-awful "see-thru" scope mounts.

Get a 1.5-4.5X scope (or Weaver has recently introduced a 1-3X), mount it as low as it will go, and proceed to have fun.

At the lowest setting, the magnification is low enough for quick target acquisition and a wide field of view... you can even shoot with both eyes open if you have a strong dominant eye. At the highest setting, they are more than adequate for 50+ yards... could even push it to 100 yards.

The nice thing about the 10/22 is you can try all these things with out breaking the bank. I used to have see through scope rings on my 10/22 and really did not have a problem with them.

The do raise the scope and make adjustments more difficult and are not true to the art of scope shooting, what ever that means. Scopes are fun and they make it much easier to get a good view of what you are aiming at... but, and here is the crux of the matter... with a 22lr... shooting out to 50 yards... they will not make you or the rifle more accurate. You can shoot just as well if not better with iron sights.

Personally the first thing I think should be done to any factory 10/22 is fix the dern trigger pull... everything is fluff after that.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
How about a different direction? Try one of the "red dot" holographic type of sights. Quite good on the 10/22.