Having trouble cleaning GP100 cylinder.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nogunsmith4me

Single-Sixer
Having hard time :evil: .... How do I remove all that black stuff on the front of my GP100 cylinder after shooting 100 rounds of .38 Is there an easy way? Looks like if it glued to it.

Cholo

Staff member
Just give it a good scrubbing with your wife's toothbrush and some Outers. No wife? Use one of your old ones. If that doesn't do the trick I've used some plastic "dental picks" bought from Midway. Every gun owner should have some.

BTW: I'm not married anymore goin' on 18+ years. :wink:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Cholo":2wuzc7gu said:
Just give it a good scrubbing with your wife's toothbrush and some Outers. No wife? Use one of your old ones. If that doesn't do the trick I've used some plastic "dental picks" bought from Midway. Every gun owner should have some.

BTW: I'm not married anymore goin' on 18+ years. :wink:

Don't forget to keep the stuff wet with solvent for 15-30 minutes and then scrub with a brush and a tightly woven rag. (like old work shirt). :D

...Jimbo

7tcu

Bearcat
I don't bother anymore. If you are always shooting it, then it's a waste of time.

Nogunsmith4me

Single-Sixer
Yes, you're right, why bother anymore. I have a blued GP100 so it's not a big deal because the marks or baked carbon on the cylinder blends with the color. I was just wondering if there was a way to remove it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
7tcu":n1dzlsyc said:
I don't bother anymore. If you are always shooting it, then it's a waste of time.
I've come to pretty much the same conclusion with my .22 revolvers. I use Hoppe's to get off what I can and don't worry too much about the slight discoloration. My guns are for shooting, they're not museum pieces.

Nogunsmith4me

Single-Sixer
I clean my MKII SS barrel once a year in white vinegar, put it in for an hour and all the black crap gets removed, it comes out like brand new, good and cheap way to do it but can not do the same to a blued pistol unless you want to turn it into SS :wink:

Spike

Single-Sixer
Nogunsmith4me":lcqcu4c0 said:
Having hard time :evil: .... How do I remove all that black stuff on the front of my GP100 cylinder after shooting 100 rounds of .38 Is there an easy way? Looks like if it glued to it.

Duh... I misunderstood. I thought you were having the "38 Special Blues", the carbon ring you can get in the cylinder when you shoot a lot of 38's, actually making it hard to chamber a 357.

Black cylinder face? On a blued gun? Surprised you can notice it!
That's just character, my friend, character!
Give 'er a lick and a promise and call it a shooter.
(I think some Hoppe's solvent would probably take it off if you worked at it. Easy. Put too much love into it you're liable to end up with a white metal cylinder face.)
-S

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Somebody is under the impression that the front face of a cylinder is to remain clean and tidy, which it will do if the gun is never used. Whether blued or stainless the cylinder face will become discolored. Every shot exposes it to burning flames and high pressure. Just wipe it down with the cleaning fluid of your choice and leave it alone. The marks made on a blued gun are not "on top" of your blued finish, the blueing is actually scorched.

gig

Single-Sixer
Try some gunzilla,,,,let it soak for a while then brush with a mild brush and cloth.
A light coat of gunzilla after each cleaning seems to make the next removal easier.
Some say brake-cleaner aids in cutting the carbon, I've never tried it, don't know what it does to a blued surface.
I have used Rem-oil with success.

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
The bluing does not lie on top of the metal, and the discoloration on the front face of the cylinder does not lie on top of the bluing. Rather, the metal has been discolored by the heat and pressure of escaping gasses. Scrubbing down a blued cylinder will just help to remove the bluing, and the metal will still become scorched after shooting. The same goes for stainless, except that with stainless, you start off with bare metal. Powder deposits come off with a quick wipedown. But if you scrub the cylinder face clean, you are removing metal, and slowly opening up the b/c gap.

Carry_Up

geneo

Bearcat
I have been using a .204 case to remove the hard carbon, works great. Take the shoulder off with a sander or file. Then ream to sharp edge. Then take the expander ball and enlarge till you get a tight fit. :D geneo

DSC_3044Small.jpg

DSC_3043Small.jpg

DSC_3042Small.jpg

DSC_3041Small.jpg

Latest posts