Hats...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Robes

Single-Sixer
When I was younger, I never wore hats. I was blessed with this great head of blonde hair that was too nice to cover with a hat. Now, the hair is still there, but cut much shorter,...and I'd rather be cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I have been cursed with a large noggin (7 5/8) so finding hats is kinda tough. When I am working with the horses,....western hat. I have a Montana (aka Gus) that has a 3 and 1/2 inch brim. I can sell shade! I also have a pinch front and a rancher, but those or more for western dress. I also have the leather Australian Outerback hats for cold rainy weather. When it is chores....I wear an eight point hat (think military visored). I like these because they fit. A baseball cap on me looks like a yarmulke with a bill on it. I have been picking up hats for years (when I can find them that fit). Among the collection I have a Fez,... snap cap, Fedoras, a Bowler, a Homburg, a Sombrero, and when I fly I wear a WW2 crush cap. I made a special shelf in the coat closet to house my hats. At last count, I had over 30 in there.

An interesting fact,... hats used to parlay your status in life. If you were a working man, you wore a Fedora,.... middle class you wore a Bowler. The Homburg was reserved for the hoi-polloi. In some circles, if you wore a hat outside your class, it was considered an insult to that class. The best hats are made from 100% beaver, but they are also the most expensive hats.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
STAR-OF-THE-WEST hats right here in the DT make all my hats and those of my wife also. My current favorite is a flint Gray Quigley style. Brad is a fantastic hat maker and a heck of a fine young whippersnapper. He ships all over the world;Chinese cowboys REALLY like his hats.
And so it goes...

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Back in 2008 some friends from England were visiting us; I took them to the local "Strawberry Festival" up in Plant City and one of them bought a "cowboy" hat there; She Still treasures it and wears it on any and every occasion. Was talking with her over Skype and she pulled it out to show me she STILL had it handy !!

I also wear a 7 5/8 hat. I can never find one that fits...well no wonder. If you have 30 hats, you've bought them all in that size. I cannot go into a regular hat store and find one that fits.

Robes

Single-Sixer
Kevin,... I feel your pain. I look at a LOT of hats and had to pass up some because they did not have my size.

Custom made hats? Try Mackey Custom Hats out of Wyoming...http://www.mackeycustomhats.com/
Look at the GUS in Granite....You can sell shade with that one....

eveled

Hunter
you've got it easy, I'm a perfect size 8. I only wear fitted hats, one size fits all adjustable hats are for kids. I could never find hats that fit. Then New Era, and 47 twins started making bigger hat sizes available. I was told it was because of people with dred locks needing hats a lot larger than their actual head size.

tinman

Buckeye
Because most everything I do involves noise of some sort, and I pretty much have a radio on all the time, I use utilities and ball caps for most jobs because they allow the use of my earmuff style hearing protectors that also have a radio inside. An added benefit is.......they also are handy for keepin the sun outta my eyes. :roll: If I need more shade, I have a cowboy style straw hat with a 4 1/2 inch brim (picture Charlie Daniels with his 5" brim). First time my neighbor saw it his comment was "where did you get that Go To Hell hat?" If I'm gonna need to get really serious (kids summertime outdoor sporting events, fishing, etc.) I have an Sahuayo Charro Sombrero with a 6 1/2 inch brim. It was made in Mexico and can just about cover a family of three. An added benefit is that it has such a tight weave it is pretty much waterproof. :mrgreen:

SAJohn

Hunter
I hate hats but wear them outdoors in the summers for shade and for the cold of winter. 10 minutes with a hat and I have a bad hair day until I wash it. The wind often sends me chasing after the things. Being a vet, I sometimes wonder why the military has such an obsession with them.

steveodtw

Blackhawk
I hate the phrase "one size fits all (most)". I'm about a 7 5/8-7 3/4. The only brand hat I found sized to fit is the Tilley hats. Also found this one which has mostly caps, some brimmed, no western styles. I own several and like them a lot. http://www.bigheadcaps.com/ I particularly like their cleaning instructions inside the headband. "Purchase another one." :)

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Hats? I can't remember never having one.

Here a black Resistol with a braided horsehair band sent to me by my daughter in Texas:

Tan Resistol:

All dressed up for church on Sunday morning:

Bob Wright

Phoenix too

Blackhawk
steveodtw said:
I hate the phrase "one size fits all (most)". I'm about a 7 5/8-7 3/4. The only brand hat I found sized to fit is the Tilley hats. ...

Dang, I'm in a crowd of fatheads. All my life I've struggled with the burden of a fat head. As a kid others made fun of my 'little ears'. They never figured out that in reality I had a fat head. My sole claim to fame is that I had the fattest head in my high school graduating class. The guy measuring had to do it twice, thought he must have made a mistake.

I got me a Tilley, autographed by the man himself. 7 5/8 (might be 3/4, but I'd have to get up to look)

markallen

Bearcat
I used to hate hats.......Until my hair started falling out.
I don't wear them for vanity. I wear them cause I can't stand rain on my head, my head gets cold, and as I have gotten older I don't tolerate the sun as well as I used to.
I don't necessarily have a problem size wise, mostly it hard to find ones that fit comfortably.
A few years ago I found Stormy Kromer hats. I have half a dozen of them now, from summer wear to well below zero, and all temps in between.
These are sized , not adjustable. And have a lifetime warranty. And made in the USA. Plus, every one right out of the box fits exactly, and feels like something I have worn for years.
All my other hats now hang, or are stacked on a shelf in my closet collecting dust.

tinman

Buckeye
WendyZXZ said:
SAJohn said:
Wendy, Sheldon Cooper has an identical one. I'll wager you look a heck of a lot better wearing it than does Sheldon.

John

Thanks John! I also have a Blue Sun t-shirt to complete the Jayne Cobb look.

"I am to misbehave"...........ahh, a kindred spirit. :D

blackhawknj

Buckeye
In the Boy Scouts in the 1960s we had the old "overseas" cap, carried them on our belts, I don't recall ever wearing it. In recent years I have become something of a "Mad Hatter", have hats for Revolutionary and Civil War reenacting and I do a Spanish-American War impression as well. I acquired some Swedish and Swiss army surplus coats and the hats to go with them, they keep the chill out on wintry days, I have a Swedish Navy peacoat I wear with a Mexican War forage cap, that gets a lot of compliments.

Latest posts