GPNY 3" - Customize or not?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SilentMike

Bearcat
I have a 3" GPNY .38 that I occasionally CCW. I've really taken a liking to the Wiley Clapp GP, and was considering discussing a similar sight conversion to my GPNY with one of the gunsmiths that work on the GP. I know GPNY's are not that common. Should I go forward and see about customizing my GPNY, or should I sell it and roll the proceeds toward one of the Wiley Clapp models?

Thanks for any and all opinions,

SilentMike

berettapistols

Blackhawk
IMO the GPNY would make a better carry gun because it's DAO & has snag free sights & already has the matte finish..
I traded my SPNY off years ago & miss it every day..
The WC GPs do have a nice sight picture though but for the added extra cost I'd be inclined to keep the GPNY & maybe put a new front sight into it..

I'd love to have a 3" GPNY but I'm still dancing the jig for snagging my ole SPNY for $175, That was 10 years ago..

Welcome to the Forum SilentMike

berettapistols

Blackhawk
"Darn.. I killed another thread.."
Anyway SilentMike here's a link to Gemini Customs where Marc Morganti sells a nice front sight for the 3" fixed sight GP100 & SP101s in either Fiber Optic or Gold Bead..
https://www.geminicustoms.com/store/index.html
GP100.jpg

DGW1949

Hunter
dougader said:
Customize away; make it a 5 shot 44 special. 8)

Yeah, ".44's" are cool.
That said though, as I recall, most of the custom gun guys who've built them usualy recommend sticking to SAMMI pressures for loading them. So considering that the tradtional factory .44Spl/246RNL loading is about on par with the old 38Spl service-load, there aint much beyound the "cool factor" to be gained. In fact, in terms of cartridge performance, one would probably be better off to keep it as a 38, load it with heavish +P ammo, and retain the one-extra shot.

The OP did say that this is a CCW gun, eh?

DGW

berettapistols

Blackhawk
SilentMike posted once asking Customize the GPNY or buy the Wiley Clapp?
He already has the GPNY..
If it were me I'd just throw some sights into it, maybe a new grip, trigger job/springs/shims & maybe even ream the cylinder so I could shoot 357s?, refinish it with scotch brite or glass bead it = Low Budget KILLER Snub GP100 or just carry & shoot it AS IS..
Then the DA/SA or DAO topic will come into play, For Concealed Carry the DAO is Perfect as is it being 38 Special & the GPNY has a Matte finish factory..

Here's a Ruger SP101 that Bowen fit their J Frame Smith Hi Visibility Sights into that IMO look "TOO GOOD".. You might get with them & order a set of these & have your smith fix you up..
Perfected_Ruger_SP101.jpg