GP100 vs SP 101 grip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buck357

Bearcat
Been debating between these two for a while. The SP fits my hand good and the GP with the Hogue grip never did it for me. But now with the GP compact grip available I've been looking at that again. Can any one tell me what the GP with the old style panel grip is like compared to the SP. The only GP's I find in my area are either the Match Champion (don't care for the grip) or the large Hogue (not fond of). Thanks in advance for the help.

NikA

Buckeye
There are at least two sizes of GP grips with panels. If it helps, the GP compact grip panels are the same size as the SP grip panels, so if you can find a picture of both, you will have a good size comparison (I found one and it looks like there's just a bit of extra rubber in every dimension). The "regular size" GP panel grips that never went away are both longer and wider than the compact GP and SP grips, but I would say not excessively so. If you need more exact measurements, I have sets of both the SP and one of the GP types that I can dig out, but with the number of aftermarket grips available for the stud-type frame, I personally have never worried about it.

Buck357

Bearcat
Thanks Nika. I guess I need to clarify. How much longer is the trigger reach on the GP with the old style grip than the SP?

NikA

Buckeye
Taken off my guns with calipers:
Measurement: SP-101 GP-100
Trigger to back of grip 2.8" 3.25"
Grip width (side to side) 1.25" 1.375"
Approx grip height (panel) 2.25" 2.75"
Grip width (front to back) 1.5" 1.75"

GP-100 is a 171 series, so maybe early '90s if I remember correctly. Grips are "regular" size, not GP compacts. I think trigger reach is the same for both though.
SP-101 is maybe 2011-2013.
I do not think there have been any changes to the frames that would affect these measurements, but I am not 100% sure.

Buck357

Bearcat
NikA said:
Taken off my guns with calipers:
Measurement: SP-101 GP-100
Trigger to back of grip 2.8" 3.25"
Grip width (side to side) 1.25" 1.375"
Approx grip height (panel) 2.25" 2.75"
Grip width (front to back) 1.5" 1.75"

GP-100 is a 171 series, so maybe early '90s if I remember correctly. Grips are "regular" size, not GP compacts. I think trigger reach is the same for both though.
SP-101 is maybe 2011-2013.
I do not think there have been any changes to the frames that would affect these measurements, but I am not 100% sure.

Thanks for the measurements. That has helped a lot.