Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Just to go along with Jimbo...

How about a .357 maximum Bisley? 8)

IMG_0267.jpg

Rclark

Hunter
Blackhawk, hands down, medium or large frame. Either is stronger than the GP.
Yep. And large frame is stronger than the medium frame. But I am in the camp of 'need more powder' go up in caliber :) .

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Rclark said:
But I am in the camp of 'need more powder' go up in caliber :) .

Hi,

May I join you? There are plenty of choices better than possibly over stressing a smaller caliber firearm.

Remember, it's NOT Ruger who says those "Ruger/TC" loads are "safe!"

And they're the only ones who know how their guns are built! Who's to say that just because "today's" Ruger IS strong enough, "tomorrow's" will be too, after the bean counters have told engineering to save a nickel on steel somewhere?

I like my .357s, but there's a reason God invented calibers that start w/ a "4", too.

Rick C

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Given the rounds that you are indicating I would choose the New Model Blackhawk which is built on the large 44 magnum frame. GP100 is a great revolver for shooting factory 357 magnum rounds. But I saw a picture of a GP100 that had a cracked forcing cone shooting hand loads. I think this guy over did it.
Howard

weemsf

Single-Sixer
I like my .357s, but there's a reason God invented calibers that start w/ a "4", too.

Thought that was funny, but very true.

I have not seen any 357's blown up, but have heard of a few. 44's and 45 Colt's get taken apart because of exotic loads with some measure of frequency. I had a scope base and scope fly off of a Contender (had the wrong screws in the base) and smack me in the head, causing quite a bit of bleeding, and dizziness to boot. Handgun reloading , reloading at all, needs to be done very carefully, we are talking life and death or serious injury after all.

gscrasher

Bearcat
If Lyman says the loads are for a TC or a Blackhawk, then what is your question? :?

A prudent man would move up to a .41 or .44 mag if they needed more power.

Maybe I'm just cautious. :wink:

weemsf

Single-Sixer
All I simply wanted to know was is the GP100 as strong as the Blackhawk. I love them both. Double action revolves have their place and the single actions theirs. I do not use over book loads in any of my guns. Since I have a few hundred heavyn357 loads and shooting them one at a time in a TC takes forever, I want something to shoot 6.

gscrasher

Bearcat
There are a couple ways to get some idea of how much stronger the BH is. For one, Ruger puts 7 of the new .327 mag load in the GP and 8 in the BH.

The second is just simple dimensions. I just took some quick measurements of the cylinders. There is quite a difference. For the diameter of the cylinder I get 1.545in for the GP and 1.731 for the BH.

The web between the cylinders is 0.15 and 0.19 for the GP and BH respectively.

For the outside wall the numbers are 0.1in for GP and 0.135in for BH.

So the sheer size difference indicates a stronger BH, but of course it would be more complicated to actually determine how much stronger.

I'm glad that I finally did those measurements, I never really had a good handle on the dimensions before.

Rclark

Hunter
ll I simply wanted to know was is the GP100 as strong as the Blackhawk.
I think ya got your answer :) . BH is stronger.... As said in an above post each has their place and each has their followers who will advocate one over the other... But when all said and done, both will last you several lifetimes of (normal) shooting. Ruger just doesn't make a 'weak' revolver :D . I need to qualify that.... I have no experience with the new plastic and rubber handle revolvers they are putting out....