GP100 rear sight blade install

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joezilla

Bearcat
Okay, I got the new sight blade from Ruger. There were zero instructions for the install. When I got the old one out that was broken in half, I put the new one in, but it was loose. Can someone clue me in as to how to install the sight blade properly?

Joe

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Did you lose the spring when you removed the sight blade? Only way the blade could be loose in the slot is if you've lost the spring, spring was broken, or you have the spring wadded up on top of itself and not free traveling in the bore.

To install, you'll need an allen wrench or drill bit small enough to slide into the bore in the side of the sight base. Starting with the windage screw removed, slide the spring into the bore, compress it with the wrench/bit, angle the RIGHT SIDE of the sight blade into the slot first, lining up the punched "bump" on the front of the blade with the cutout in the slotted base. Let the left tip of the sight blade come down to rest on top of the spring, then while pressing down on the blade, use the wrench/bit to compress the spring far enough to let the end coil of the spring clear the spur, it'll slip into place, the spring will lock it into the base. Hold the blade to the left against the spring pressure while you install the windage screw.

Many inexperienced folks who have only done a few will tell you to start with the LEFT TIP of the sight blade spur first, but you will run the risk of ruining the windage spring and binding things up by doing so (spur goes through the spring between coils, crushes it as you install, jams everything up, only travels in one direction if at all). The manual says to point the RIGHT TIP first, away from the spring in the manner I explained above to avoid this damage.

Joezilla

Bearcat
Varminterror said:
Did you lose the spring when you removed the sight blade? Only way the blade could be loose in the slot is if you've lost the spring, spring was broken, or you have the spring wadded up on top of itself and not free traveling in the bore.

Spring?? There's a spring in there? Nope not anymore. I guess it flew out when I removed the windage screw. I have searched all over and it is nowhere to be found. I guess a trip to a gunsmith is the next order of operations.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Doesn't need a trip to the gunsmith. Just a phone call to Ruger in the morning, have them send you a spring, and be back in business next week. Same thing your gunsmith will have to do, and same amount of time to do it, except one way ends up with you spending money, one way doesn't.

Joezilla

Bearcat
Varminterror,

You are the MAN. I called Ruger CS just now and explained what happened. The guy on the phone was so nice! He is sending out an entire rear sight assembly!!! Talk about customer service! Ruger ROCKS! He said I should see it in 7 to 10 business days. So excited! This was my first call to Ruger about anything.

Joe

Mitch

Bearcat
Varminterror,

You are the MAN. I called Ruger CS just now and explained what happened. The guy on the phone was so nice! He is sending out an entire rear sight assembly!!! Talk about customer service! Ruger ROCKS! He said I should see it in 7 to 10 business days. So excited! This was my first call to Ruger about anything.

Joe
My rear sight blade broke for the second time since I own it. The nice woman on the phone is sending me an entire rear sight assembly also. I have 4 Ruger firearms. The customer service is why I keep buying them.

Latest posts