GP100 .357 4.2”

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doons

Bearcat
I picked up the gun last night from a friend. He purchased it from an estate sale for an insanely low price. Neither he nor I can find any indication it has ever been fired. Based on the serial #, it was MFG in 2019. He gave me a ridiculous deal on it. I was not looking to add a revolver but after handling it, very glad I did, I really like it. Already ordered a Hi-Viz front sight for it and a couple HKS speed loaders. Plan on getting to the Range friday… provided the ammo I purchased for it arrives tomorrow as indicated? These are the pictures he sent me. I cleaned it up some last night, didn't need much. Looks brand new to me. Came with the case, lock and unmolested paperwork.

AB6E5861-0639-409C-BE66-44F79771E2F2.jpeg
8C00506A-184C-4C74-9E71-CAE0C41F4D1B.jpeg
103F0316-88BA-4AD3-9DC9-2047A038306B.jpeg

Last edited:

Doons

Bearcat
I have the blued version .Never fired it but wish I could've purchased the stainless steel version.
The blued ones are great, even more old school. Go shoot it! I shot mine today, it was awesome. The 38spl rounds were like shooting a 22lr. The .357 mag rounds were very comfortable to shoot so I shot all 50 of the flat nose FMJ's I had with me… along with 12 rounds of .357 Federal JHP rounds. It was a dang good time shooting the GP.

Last edited:

Doons

Bearcat
That's a great barrel length. I have the 6"GP100 and a 3" GP100. I wish I had the 4.2" It just seems like a good compromise between the 6 and 3.

I would like to have the 3" version. I have a holster for the 4.2" and actually wore as my concealed carry after the range today. The holster I have sucks the gun up tight to my side, so it doesn't really print at all. Not that it matters, I live in a Constitutional Carry state, so printing is a non issue as open carry or concealed, whatever, is fine. It's a bit heavy but it was comfortable as I had it on all day.

47547887-4EF7-418B-B175-DCD70E1C8FCF.jpeg

Doons

Bearcat
This was running the failure to stop drill with target at 7 yards. The silhouette targets are about 1/3 the size of a normal silhouette. This course of fire was run after I went thru about 12 rounds tweaking the rear sight. I was on the timer but didn't really pay much attention to the times as this was my first time with the gun and the new holster with thumb break. It did show I need some dry fire practice with the new holster :). Practicing using the HKS speed loaders…. need practice there to! Not sure where that right ear flyer came from? Hate those!

DB0E6337-1F41-434D-8D4A-E503E75D249B.jpeg

Last edited:

KIR

Sparks, NV
I had the SS version and didn't know they made a blued version which I had purchased. I know he was happy to get it before I kicked the bucket. I also gave him all my .38 ammo for it. I never fired a round of .357 out of it. I would still like to get a blued version.

IPSC

Bearcat
I have the blued version .Never fired it but wish I could've purchased the stainless steel version.
No issues......have it industrial hard chrome plated. Looks like brushed stainless when all done,.....very rust resistant and also self-lubricating to a large degree. A number of places do this. I had various old-school 22 auto pistols done as well as my Colt MKIV 45.

wproct

Single-Sixer
That is a very handsome revolver! I have similar fiber-optic front sight on my GP100 and love it. Also, those wood Hogue grips really look nice and I'm sure they are quite comfortable.

jban357

Bearcat
Great gun. There are two guns you can't go wrong buying. You now have one of them.