GP100 3" .38 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

QB

Single-Sixer
Last year I purchased two of the GP100s 3" chambered in .38 Special. As posted earlier, my sister "borrowed" one (permanently it appears) so I was looking for a second one for myself. There weren't any NIB available that were priced the same or lower than I bought before so I never got the second one for myself. It was reported there were only 20 of them to begin with.

This week I took delivery of another one offered by Davidson's (the two previous ones were from Davidson's also). It cost me less than my first ones and they had 99+ available.

What I thought was interesting is the my first two purchased last year were dated November 2012 and the one I just got is dated July 2012......an earlier date. I don't know where Davidson's got the first 20 and why now they have a bunch of models that are dated prior to the 20 they first sold. Guess they were laying around and someone finally wanted to sell their surplus??

Anyway, I put on the HiViz sights like my other one has and full size Lett style grips. I keep these as "house" guns along with semiautos at the front and rear of my house.

I use Buffalo Bore ammo.....really like the heft of these revolvers and wanted my revolvers chambered for .38 special (I never shoot 357 mag) so these fit the bill. Big and heavy for a .38 spcl but it works for me.

I paid a premium for a compact set of grips but the gun balances better for me with the larger grips so I'm going to put the larger grips back on my other GP100 also. Some say the fullsize grips look too large but in my opinion they look better than the fingergroove grips that come on them. Plus fingergroove grips never fit my fingers right for some reason.

Bottom line........I really like these revolvers.

GP100s_zps65da84c3.jpg

ADP3

Single-Sixer
I agree with you on the 3" GP100's in .38 Special. Mine also came from Davidson's, but are Blue, Fixed Sights with Pachmayr Compacs. They have become my do almost everything guns (My S&W 442 still rates as the preferred pocket pistol). I'm shooting +P and +P+ loads of Unique with 158 gr. LSWC's and regularly getting sub 2" groups at 50 ft. I don't want the weight and recoil of heavier guns and calibers these days, and reloading .38's fits my budget better than other calibers. I have eyeballed the 4", Stainless, Adj. Sight .38 GP100's that Davidson's is currently offering but I haven't talked myself into one yet.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have 4 GP`s. Only one in .38 special,a 4" with adjustable sight.
It is just super accurate and came sighted in right on . My fixed sight 3" .357 is also regulated from the factory to impact right AT the top of the front sight at 30' using 158 gr. bullets at near top end loads.
My 6" .357 shoots like a laser. I have a Weigand no drill base coming for it. I am going to mount an Ultra Dot red dot sight on it and use it for varmint hunting and just plinking . :D :D :D

41manor44

Single-Sixer
Nice firearms QB. I have several 3" fixed sighted 357s that I really like. I also have one with the full size grip and one with the compact. I like both but prefer the full size, there's just that much more to hang on to. I haven't seen any first hand like you have but do like the adjustable sights.