GP 100 and Charter Arms BD .44 Special compare today!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonel Daddy said:
From my extremely limited experience, follow the sales guys recommendation . My experience with the "Old" Charter .44's (from the late 60's/early 70's they were OK tho not much to look at. The new stainless Charter that I did fire and belonged to a fellow range user, started jumping timing and he asked me what I thought. It was shaving lead and jacket material so bad I only fired it twice. Do not like guns spitting lead!! :roll:
That gun needs to go back to Charter. I have one that shoots great.
gramps

mogwai

Nortwuds
Berserker said:
I want charter arms to pocket carry. But I would also like a stout 44 special 4" for woods. Granted most just got to magnum and 629s for that.
Target bulldog is lightweight with 4" or 5" barrel. Adj sights, too

44spl.

Bearcat
Check the Charter Arms website. They have IWB, OTW, and pocket holsters made for the Bulldog.
Just picked up a nitride Bulldog the other day. It fits fine in a sticky holster in my right front pocket of my loose fitting jeans. Conceals well.
I have four 44spl's with the gp100 being next on the list.
Someone said there is no niche for this gun, I disagree.
I can shoot thousands and thousands of rounds through this gun at the range and not wear out my bulldog or Smith & Wesson 396 night guard. And if I wish, carry it on the waistband.
Hope this helps,

Mus408

Hunter
Well I picked it up today and it seems to be a good little shooter!

My loads using the Speer 200 gr. Gold Dots went across the chrony in the 830-840 FPS range.

44spl.

Bearcat
If you want a little more horsepower, check out the Underwood Ammo. They make a load specifically for the bulldog. 220grn. gold dot leaving the barrel at 975fps.
But it really looks like your point of aim to point of impact is just fine with what you are shooting. Not sure if the Underwood would change that very much. Just an option.

Dave Nowlin

Bearcat
I don't understand where you guys are coming from. I presently have a Taurus 445 that is head and shoulders more gun than the Bulldog. I'm trading it next week at my LGS for a Talo edition GP-100 with walnut grips and brass bead front sight. It will tolerate Keith type 250 grain bullets loaded a bit stout and those loads would be hard on the Taurus and destroy the Bulldog. The Gp-100 can be loaded to cowboy levels to play and .44 mag lite levels for serious things. I also have a Stainless Super Blackhawk that I fitted with a Bisley hammer, trigger and grip frame that I shoot heavy dangerous game loads from. Those 325 grain bullets will penetrate 12 inches of seasoned oak. For every day self defense carry I have my Glock 19. If the Glock 19 is good enough for Navy SEALS it should be good enough for me. I also have a .45 Shield I can pocket carry.

Mus408

Hunter
Where are we coming from?

Well if you like revolvers and like to carry one plus you want a small light package with .44 Special and want to spend less than 500 bucks...the Bulldog is the deal!
I have other larger revolvers that would work as trail and winter carry in .44 Mag and .45 Colt.

No question about the Bulldog not handling heavy .44 Special loads which might be light .44 Mag loads and that wasn't it's intended purpose.

From my short review a 200 gr. Gold Dot at 830 FPS seems to perform well.

I have a Glock as well,a G23, and it serves well as an all weather carry gun though a bit heavier.