GP 100 and Charter Arms BD .44 Special compare today!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
I like my trips to the LGS and today stopped by for some reload supplies...they have a TON of powders too.
Anyway while cruising the gun counter I spotted a new GP-100 in .44 Special and a new Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special.
The Ruger looked really nice but had that front sight gap which didn't bother me that much.
Trigger pull was really smooth and saw no issues of fit and function...really nice gun!

The Bulldog for the price is a good deal also...looked great and trigger pull was nice but not quite as smooth as the Ruger at the last point before the hammer drops. Also this one had the bobbed hammer DA only.
However what it really had going for it was it's size and weight plus it slipped right into my ISWB holster I was wearing for my Ruger LCR .357 and felt right at home!

Conclusion...now haven't shot either one but for easy carry if you want a small big hole making revolver
I liked it. Plus with my wife there too I mentioned how I carry HER LCR more than she does and I could use one for myself. She agreed giving me a foot in the door for another shooter!

Well didn't buy either one yet but it was great to look at both. And since I'm now reloading for .44 well...... continued!

The sales guy,who I know, gave his opinion that for a range gun, nightstand gun he would pick the GP-100 and the Bulldog for carry use.

On this day that GP-100 was up to par for a new Ruger and a great gun.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
+1 on the salesman's recommendation. The GP is a "full size" revolver and will be fun and accurate to shoot but difficult for most people to carry concealed. The Bulldog is in the size range of the SP-101 and S&W J-frames and will conceal much easier but be unpleasant to shoot due to it's stiff recoil.

I have had a GP 100 in .357 mag. At 41 oz it got left home a lot. I have a Charter BD and it is my woods gun/backup when hunting. As for recoil,
It isn't as bad as a .357 of the same size. IMO
gramps

22/45 Fan said:
+1 on the salesman's recommendation. The GP is a "full size" revolver and will be fun and accurate to shoot but difficult for most people to carry concealed. The Bulldog is in the size range of the SP-101 and S&W J-frames and will conceal much easier but be unpleasant to shoot due to it's stiff recoil.

I would classify the Bulldog more in the K-frame Smith size or Ruger Speed-Six, but lighter weight. Still a good big bore packing revolver. JMO

Dave

Mus408

Hunter
Well I pulled the trigger on the Bulldog. The size and weight and what it's use will be was the deciding factor.

Cape Cod Terry

Single-Sixer
I have a SBH .44 mag and a Bulldog .44spec. I usually carry my SR9c, but the Bulldog conceals better in summer clothes. My Bulldog was DAO but came factory with a SA/DA hammer. An easy swap and improved the DA trigger pull also. This was a used gun so I don't know if they still come that way. .44spec Cowboyloads are pretty mild in the Bulldog but I carry 185grn hollowpoints for CCW. The Bulldog is a nice gun for the money.
Cape Cod Terry

Three50seven

Buckeye
Good observations! I have a .44 spl Bulldog in the CCW rotation as well, but it spends most of it's time in the drawer of the coffee table next to my recliner. I was super excited to see Ruger announce the GP in .44 spl, but I soon realized that it really didn't fit into any niche very well.Too big and heavy for a CCW gun (not to mention the snag-everything sights), and who wants a dedicated range gun that you can't hunt with in most states because it has a 3" barrel? If they don't introduce a 3", half-lug, fixed sight version with compact grips, or some other more useful variations, I think Ruger will have a dud on their hands...

Three50seven

Buckeye
Heliman said:
22/45 Fan said:

I would classify the Bulldog more in the K-frame Smith size or Ruger Speed-Six, but lighter weight. Still a good big bore packing revolver. JMO

Dave

They're loose in a K frame holster, SP-101 or Colt D frame is closer.

Three50seven said:
Heliman said:
22/45 Fan said:

Dave

They're loose in a K frame holster, SP-101 or Colt D frame is closer.

Bulldog?? Bigger than SP, maybe smaller than K frame. I have had many of both. How about a 'tweener?

Clarkston_cz

Single-Sixer
I had a 3 inch BD for a short period.

Not a fan of the recoil, or the fact that it would only shoot to POA with
240 grain bullets.

However, even though I did write more than a few letters to Ruger
over the years in concern to a possible .44 Special.

I no longer reload, nor can I find any decent priced .44 Special
ammo locally.

Ultra cool Ruger, but not for me.

I'm glad that you guys are enjoying yours to the fullest.

Should we ever see a GP45 in either .45 ACP or non-+P
.45 Colt, I miht climb aboard the 5-shot GP wagon.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Heliman said:
Bulldog?? Bigger than SP, maybe smaller than K frame. I have had many of both. How about a 'tweener?

Definitely a 'tweener. I've had three and always had trouble finding a holster that fit them well. K frame is too big, J frame too small...

Cape Cod Terry

Single-Sixer
I carry mine in a nylon Blackhawk IWB waistband holster, cheap, fits well and doesn't mar the finish, have one in a different size for my SR9c.
Cape Cod Terry

Berserker

Bearcat
I want charter arms to pocket carry. But I would also like a stout 44 special 4" for woods. Granted most just got to magnum and 629s for that.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I also handled both recently at my LGS. The Ruger was very nice. Smooth trigger. The front sight gap was almost imperceptible. The gun felt great in my hand and pointed well. But it is way to heavy to carry around as a hiking companion. It would make a nice house gun, but...it's only 5 rounds. Not saying it wouldn't work, but it would not be my first choice. A really neat gun that I just don't need.

I looked a Classic Bulldog. This is sort of a re-run of the old, traditional, 3" skinny barrel Bulldog. It was a disappointment. OK, it cost 60% of what the GP100 would cost me. But the finish was so-so, the trigger was kinda gritty, the sights weren't as good and it just didn't feel up to the quality level of the better old Charter Arms revolvers that I remembered. Now, maybe the 25 or so years since I last owned a skinny barrel 3" Bulldog have colored my view (and I couldn't shoot that thing worth a damn then, either) but I wasn't impressed by this latest offering. I will look at the current version in 3". It does have the right size and weight for packing in the woods. Maybe I will like that one better.

Let me throw another one into the mix. Not as heavy as the GP and more refined than the Bulldog. I recently purchased from a well known member here a Taurus 431. Range time for this revolver next week. It is essentially a 5 shot equivalent in size to a Smith K-frame. Not in production anymore I believe, but might be the perfect compromise. Range report to follow.... :D

Dave

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
From my extremely limited experience, follow the sales guys recommendation . My experience with the "Old" Charter .44's (from the late 60's/early 70's they were OK tho not much to look at. The new stainless Charter that I did fire and belonged to a fellow range user, started jumping timing and he asked me what I thought. It was shaving lead and jacket material so bad I only fired it twice. Do not like guns spitting lead!! :roll:

Latest posts