GP-100 Accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

10X

Bearcat
I recently picked up a 6'' blued GP-100 to fill the last remaining space is my gun box ...I shoot alot of Bullseye Pistol and have been wanting somthing in a revolver. I was really wanting a S&W Model 14 but sadly never did locate a nice clean used one ....So I got a GP-100 instead ..and I am very pleased with the gun ... With handloads of 148gr HBWC's and 2.7-2.9 WST or 2.7-2.8 gr Bullseye this gun will shoot groups right at or even slighly under a 1'' @ 25yds.....the gun balance is nice and shoots well 1 handed . I can with regularity shoot slow fire scores in the high 80's and low 90's .. The trigger is still stock except for alittle polishing that I did , but plan on a wolf spring kit here soon....would like the SA to be at 2.5lbs , I would also like to change the grips for something alittle larger in wood and I will most likely modify the front sight from the ramped to a flat back type ....I was very surprised to see this gun prove itself as a 10 ring shooter...I figured the gun would shoot 1.25 -1.375 at 25yds but never really expected 1'' ....so this gun has a long term home and in the future when cash allows I may hand ream the cylinder throats to .358 and do a 11 degree forceing cone.....but for now 1'' at 25yds should put it under 2.5 at 50yds and still hold the 10ring all day..... :D .........10X out

woodsy

Blackhawk
I am not the least surprised by your happy results, partly because I also have a blued 6" GP100, and it shoots as well as yours. I got the nylon Hogue Monogrip, and shaped it to fit my hand better than the stock rubber monogrip. I also got a F/O front sight after I saw how well it works on a SP101 outdoors in daylight.
It is truly a wonderful firearm, and if I was 40 years younger I would call it awesome, but I know better.

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
I have the 4" version and I use it in IDPA competition. But recently I was asked to go shot for shot in a little friendly duking match. I didn't even use a wadcutter boolit. I cast and compete with a Lyman 358311 160gr LRN using 3.6gr HP-38, needless to say I ran 3 cylinders of ammo and she hung in there til we had to stop for other reasons.
The GP's are great guns with alot of potential. Mine has a trigger shim kit in it, came with .358" throats (thank GOD), XS Combat sights (not exactly precision but fast) and a Wilson combat spring kit in it. Soon it will be sent out for a complete action job.
Enjoy your GP!

Sal1950

Blackhawk
GP100 never seem to get the proper respect when it comes to accuracy. In that department they're as good as anything being made.

The 2.5# SA break is doable but will require an absolute first class polish job, specially in the areas that affect the trigger return friction. The trigger plunger and cylinder latch must be like chrome in there contact area. Also the channel the trigger return spring runs in needs to be smoothed up. Once you get the action done right you'll be able to run a 8# return spring and a 10# hammer spring and get to the SA break your looking for.
My GP has a 2 lb 4 oz glass like SA break and a 8lb 4 oz DA pull that is very smooth with no stacking.
Of course for reliable DA ignition you'll be required to run Federal primers.
Sal

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Wiley Clapp tested over a dozen GPs in a Ransom with the 140g Hornady / 19.0g H110 / Redding Profile Crimp and recorded his best-ever-any-gun group at 25 yds of .19".

.19"

The average of the GPs with this load (oh you gotta try it; think "process") convinced him the GP100 is the most accurate production handgun available.
Nothing I've tested suggests he was in error.....

wolfee

Blackhawk
Mine's accurate as well, more accurate than I am. What really pleased me with my new 4" fixed sight GP was that the sights were so well regulated right out of the box. Windage and elevation dead on at about 25 yeards with a mid range load.

bronco45

Single-Sixer
That's ok Weshoot. I will do a google search. Just thought you might have it within reach. I remember the article and it seems like it was in a Guns&Ammo but I'm over 65 so don't bet on it.

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
Pretty darn happy with my new GP100. I've been doing some of my best ever off hand 50 yard shooting. It really seems to like the swaged bullets from Hornady.

woodsy

Blackhawk
My experience, so far, is that it likes any bullets, including Winchester, Nosler, Speer, Montana Bullets, Blazer, and Remington. It is just an inherently accurate revolver.
I wish weshoot2 could come up with a link to that Wiley Clapp info; I have searched some but couldn't find it.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
woodsy said:
My experience, so far, is that it likes any bullets, including Winchester, Nosler, Speer, Montana Bullets, Blazer, and Remington. It is just an inherently accurate revolver.
I wish weshoot2 could come up with a link to that Wiley Clapp info; I have searched some but couldn't find it.

I'm confused, what do you guys hope to learn from an article that shot about a dozen different GP's in a ramson rest, all using the exact same round?
Sal