Good book on the history of revolvers/firearms?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zeego

Bearcat
Hey all...I've been wanting to read a good book (not super detailed) on the history of revolvers/firearms. Any suggestions?

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Amazon is selling reprints of Sixguns for a reasonable price. I have at least a hundred in my collection and am still looking for the perfect one, Sixguns by Keith is one of the best, Taffins by the same name is good too.

gak

Buckeye
Any book by Jack O'Connor--admittedly mostly about long guns vs handguns (but the likes of Taffin and Keith alredy mention will cover you pretty well on pistols). O'Connor wrote at least a few books. One in particular come to mind "Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns," but he also has a few others independently on rifles and shotguns. Great reads. Hard to find in original printings, I imagine some have been redone. Jack's been gone awhile now, but so has Keith, etc., but they all cover 95% of what's been important over the years.

Also, along the lines of a more generic, lower priced coffee table picture book "The Illustrated Book of Guns" edited by David Miller.

I'm with 'contender' as you'd need a pretty good library to cover ALL the developement of revolvers & firearms over the years, let alone the influences of foreign makers in the REAL beginning...........

williamc

Single-Sixer
This is a little specific, but "The American Rifle: a biography" is a fascinating look at the history of american battle rifles. Very entertaining.

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
A very good handgun book is: Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers, by Julian Hatcher.
My copy was published for The National Rifle Association by Odysseus
Editions, Inc.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
weconway said:
This is a little specific, but "The American Rifle: a biography" is a fascinating look at the history of american battle rifles. Very entertaining.

Agree with the above, American Rifle is a great read, make sure to get a copy of Sixguns by Keith, the Taffin books are great too. I'd also like to suggest Fighting Handguns: , by Jeff Cooper. They all have their high points, and insights. Books go out of print, and then prices can get silly, look at the prices of Taffins's books.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Not a book, yet, but if you are ever near Lexington, VA, go to VMI to see the Henry Stewart Collection of antique firearms. More than 460 guns, and most are revolvers, old ones. I asked the museum director about a book describing the collection, and he said 2014 may be when one will be published.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
There are several "coffee table" books printed in Europe (in English) that are pretty good as to developement. While they are just skimming the surface, they do have some superb photographs. Look for these in book store bargain tables.

Bob Wright

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I am a big fan of Elmer Keith and have a family connection to boot but I'm with Sam on the Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers by Julian Hatcher. Its one of the best basic overviews of handguns and revolvers in the modern (post cap and ball) era. After reading that I would move onto Elmer Keiths books and finish off with one of Taffin's books. This is coming from a guy with almost all the handgun books listed and many other not listed here. My gun collection is almost overshadowed by my gun book collection.

gunboat57

Single-Sixer
As was mentioned, "The Handgun" by Geoffrey Boothroyd. Copies are listed for sale at Amazon.

Latest posts