Give it another shot?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm seriously considering giving Ruger another shot! I have the itch to purchase another 1911 and may replace the SR1911 I traded off a while back with a new one. Im taking the grips off first thing and checking for rust though! I hope to fall in love all over again. I may even consider ceracoating it black! Well having it done professionally rather...

Im interested in any input on this crazy train of thought. My Sig C3 and Auto Ordnance will have some company soon. The AO is in the process of getting reblued. And my C3 is off getting tuned up. It feels so strange being 1911'less.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
Stop, although I like my SR1911 and I will not give it up, get the Springfield RO. I think your itch will stop. Any time I am shooting a match that is what goes to the range with me.

Good luck

Shoot straight and shoot often
GF

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I slapped a pair of the rubber grips on mine a couple of weeks ago and took it up to the 2000 round threshold.

If it weren't for the front sight issue I'd say it's the perfect 1911 for its price point (and just me, but I consider that minor as is). Solid, utterly reliable, accurate, stainless .45 ACP bullet dispensing machine. It's my go-to full size duty pistol.

IMG_0325.JPG

Jim Puke

Hunter
guidedfishing said:
Stop, although I like my SR1911 and I will not give it up, get the Springfield RO. I think your itch will stop. Any time I am shooting a match that is what goes to the range with me.

What I would do, also.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
After you buy another SR 1911 (which you didn't like anyway) and have it refinished you will have more in the gun than a new Colt XSE, I don't think I would do it.

guidedfishing said:

Good luck

Shoot straight and shoot often
GF

You must have read my other thread. This is one I'm seriously considering as well.

DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I'm seriously considering giving Ruger another shot! I have the itch to purchase another 1911 and may replace the SR1911 I traded off a while back with a new one. Im taking the grips off first thing and checking for rust though! I hope to fall in love all over again. I may even consider ceracoating it black! Well having it done professionally rather...

Im interested in any input on this crazy train of thought. My Sig C3 and Auto Ordnance will have some company soon. The AO is in the process of getting reblued. And my C3 is off getting tuned up. It feels so strange being 1911'less.

If ya feel really burned, and you expect another bad experience, I think you should look elsewhere.

WAYNO.

I'm not really burned at Ruger per say. The rust was BAD, so yes, I would be concerned. I have received advice from others as well, to purchase the range officer. SR1911 continued front sight issues are not reassuring either. I really want to like the Ruger, but a while back, could NOT pass up the trade for a CZ75 SP01 tactical though. I may get the R.O. soon, shoot it some, hold off for a while, and decide if I want a Ruger still, get one later.

Not that it matters, but...

Lots of concerns, or even criticisms of the front sights on the Ruger 1911's.

I repaired many 1911's while I was in the Army. Other than springs, and extractors, and firing pins, the most often required repair on the Army 1911's was a broken front sight. The front sight on an Army 1911 is a staked-in pin, and a specially made anvil was used to secure the sight tenon in place. Not a hard job when you've got the right tools. Not everybody has these tools. Seems to me, the violent action of a 1911 slide is just plain hard on sights, regardless of the style. I see the dovetailed sight on the Ruger as a big improvement. Much easier to replace the sight.

WAYNO.

I still don't think you'll ever be satisfied with the Ruger. Get what you think you really want, and be completely pleased without second guessing your choice.

Kind've like me...I thought I could rationalize with myself and live with a Springfield. Mine worked perfectly, seemed to be very well made, but I never could get past the "Made in Brazil." Never could get close to it, and it went down the road.

WAYNO.

sousana

Single-Sixer
Consider having it metaloyed. ALL of my carry rotation and BUG are metaloyed. My former ccw, a safari arms matchmaster, that was tuned and then metaloyed back in the 80's, I carried it until 2007, and it has 142,716 rounds through it according to its logs. Its been thru thousands of presentation drills, hundreds of matches, been in high heat/humidity, mud, ice, salt water, thousands of trips to the range, and scratches buff off. The gun today sits on my nightstand next to my s&w 325 nightguard with viridian laser.

My norinco, which was metaloyed, went through 5k rounds of tula, immersion in salt water, the springs needed changing, otherwise no rust, and the weapon was never cleaned the entire 5k round, just a wipedown and lube.

WAYNO said:
I still don't think you'll ever be satisfied with the Ruger. Get what you think you really want, and be completely pleased without second guessing your choice.

Kind've like me...I thought I could rationalize with myself and live with a Springfield. Mine worked perfectly, seemed to be very well made, but I never could get past the "Made in Brazil." Never could get close to it, and it went down the road.

WAYNO.

MADE IN BRAZIL??? Really? No way! WTF? I have owned several springfield firarms over the years, including sone 1911s none have ever said made in Brazil on them... Im sorry man, but I have to call BS. My BS indicator just went off. Of I am wrong I apologize.

BS?

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/1911-talk-formerly-colt-government-talk/57597-springfield-brazil.html

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-538479.html

You've missed my point anyway. My point is, however irrational a persons feelings might be against any given product, a feller's never gonna be happy making an exception. If ya keep second guessing the Ruger, don't buy one. Just like my irrational prejudice for Springfield. I made an exception, bought one, and was not happy, in spite of the fact it was a fine gun.

Thank you for enlightening me. I didn't miss ypur point, just the shocking news overshadowed it as I was temp. Overwhelmed. Thanks again. Im not too against Brazilian guns. My wife has had a Taurus PT911 railed stainless for YEARS. It has never failed once. I understand the poibt you are making though. Thanks again.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Holy smokes, there is a post on Glocktalk from a guy that saw "made in Brazil" on a Springer and called their CS number to ask about it. He was told all Springfield 1911 frames are made in Brazil.

So he inquired as to why the advertising photo of their 1911 pistol showed a logo "Geneseo, Il USA" on it, then asked, "did you photoshop that on the picture"?

The answer from the Springfield CS rep was "yes we did".

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1314573

It looks like Imbel is the company responsible for their forgings, and they appear to have a very good reputation for quality production. If true, what the poster in the link above is relating is just a little misleading though.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I could care less where a gun is made ... If it is the model I want and the best of the crop at the price point .... I buy it. I couldn't care less if it was made in Antarctica by Spanish black Jews with green hands. Performance counts ...everything else walks.

its this kind of 'buy American only' idiocy that marginalized and reinforces poor performance by the American worker and companies.

If America doesn't make the best product for MY MONEY ....I don't buy it ... PERIOD.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Highspeedlane said:
So he inquired as to why the advertising photo of their 1911 pistol showed a logo "Geneseo, Il USA" on it, then asked, "did you photoshop that on the picture"?

The answer from the Springfield CS rep was "yes we did".

I don't believe that for ONE SECOND ....

REV

My Springfields actually had Geneseo, Il USA stamped on their sides. I never saw made in brazil marks on them anywere.

Oh and I may have my next 1911 picked out already. And a new AR15 to go along with it. (I will explain why in an upcoming thread.) Hint: you may have heard of the term "carrier tilt"

Latest posts