Geese!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBio

Buckeye
Our geese never moved on through. We never got any really bad weather (Oops=that would mean Climate Change is really happening). It's raining again today. Sunny yesterday==saw about 30-40 geese fly over while I was unloading the car. Same on Saturday (Likely the same flock), Sunny again tomorrow (Usually snow through March and into April). If it keeps up, I'm planting veggies next weekend or the next.

Snow is off the ground and soil is well thawed. The mountains have snow but it's gone from the foothills. The goose hunters in the office say it was a banner year since the geese never moved further south. Nobody got to ice fish up in the Cascades. Ski resort didn't open 'til December and is talking about closing soon. Gonna be bad for the salmon without any snowpack.

We have a contest each year among the bios to predict the snowpack as of Groundhog's day. They'll announce the winner tomorrow. Last I heard, we were down 50%.

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
Crapping everywhere, eating up all the fields of winter wheat. A real nuisance.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
BearBio said:
Our geese never moved on through. We never got any really bad weather (Oops=that would mean Climate Change is really happening). It's raining again today.

Snow is off the ground and soil is well thawed. Nobody got to ice fish up in the Cascades. Ski resort didn't open 'til December and is talking about closing soon. Gonna be bad for the salmon without any snowpack.

We have a contest each year among the bios to predict the snowpack as of Groundhog's day. They'll announce the winner tomorrow. Last I heard, we were down 50%.

Come on over................ :mrgreen:

Selena said:
Jeepnik said:
These guys showed up at a local wet land.

They look delicious. I can just see the one on the far right stuffed with bread and wild rice after a few hours in the oven, basted every so often with its own juices.

I don't know, the only goose I've had was kinda greasy. I supposed fixed the right way they'd be right tasty. However, getting caught taking one would really spoil my appetite.

jsh

Single-Sixer
Have had thousands around off and on. Sad to say I didn't put hardly a dent in them this year. Been hunting them since around 85. I was told since I was a kid how greasey ducks and geese are. Well everyone I have ever cooked, and that is a bunch, you really had to be carefull not to let them dry out. That is plucked and skinned made no difference.
Skinned, they are as lean as venison and maybe even more so. I can make them just as tender as a good beef or venison roast. I cooked up a bunch several years back. The folks swore it was venison and wanted to know how I cooked it.
I have also breaded and chicken fried them. Was told you couldn't fry ducks or geese. Once again, they are lean so treat them like venison.
Tame ducks and geese I will agree can be greasey when not cooked right.
The grease thing could be what part of the country they are in when shot. I know this to be very true of deer getting a strong taste of what they have to feed on.
Jeff

6gun

Hunter
BearBio said:
Our geese never moved on through. We never got any really bad weather (Oops=that would mean Climate Change is really happening). It's raining again today. Sunny yesterday==saw about 30-40 geese fly over while I was unloading the car. Same on Saturday (Likely the same flock), Sunny again tomorrow (Usually snow through March and into April). If it keeps up, I'm planting veggies next weekend or the next.

Snow is off the ground and soil is well thawed. The mountains have snow but it's gone from the foothills. The goose hunters in the office say it was a banner year since the geese never moved further south. Nobody got to ice fish up in the Cascades. Ski resort didn't open 'til December and is talking about closing soon. Gonna be bad for the salmon without any snowpack.

Over here in western Washington them geese have been over populated for years any park that has a lake or pond is full of them they never have flown south they are here year round crapping every where destroying all the grass, the state had to start killing them off quite a few years back trying to get rid of some of them.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Avian Cholera is happening among snow geese this year. There are so many of them breeding on Wrangle Island in the Artic that they are killing themselves. We saw a bunch in the rice fields in Arkansas, but no where near as many as I have seen down along I-40 west of Memphis before.
In Kansas City region, Canadians are a pestilence. If I were a homeless person in KC, I would be eating goose regularly

jgt

Buckeye
It's the ones shot flying from the sewer plant and paper mill ponds that taste bad. The ones from the nuclear plant ponds taste better.

You have the tree huggers to thank for the over population and avian cholera. Hunters provided wetlands, but the tree huggers wanted to stop hunting so they trumped up the "lead shot causing lead poisoning" thing and got a law passed that you got to use steel shot. That's when many of us stopped hunting them. If they get lead banned in hunting bullets the same will happen to a lot of animals.