Snow geese comin' in........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Nita and I took a drive Saturday along some backroads in northern Mississippi, when the sight of a few snow geese caught my eye:

100_0234.jpg

Did I say a few?

100_0233.jpg

Bob Wright

Fowler

Single-Sixer
Snows are something we dont see often here in Colorado. For whatever reason there have been a fair number mixed into the Canadas out on the plains this fall (they seem to have a growing population here as they are becoming more common every year). But a couple of weeks ago we were coming back from Nebraska hunting and passed a flock of them that literally looked like that lower photo for 5 miles! There were three different fields they were going into and one had a 20 acre spot in it that looked completely white and 16" deep in snow with a massive blizzard of circling birds coming to feed on top of them. Pretty amazing really...

gunsbam69

Hunter
Good pics :!: The fish and game guys where I grew up in Kansas have given them a new nickname, "Sky Carp". They're beautiful birds, but they tend to overpopulate. Some of the plains states have opened up a free for all to get the numbers down. A guy who used to be our warden would meet us all at a friend's place to tag our cat's on the day the fur buyer came. This has been several years ago, but he told me they cleaned up literally over a million dead snows, specs, and blues that year in about a fifty mile area. They got some disease, and it wiped them. It was actually after that they opened the extended seasons on them. I don't don't do a lot of duck and goose hunting, but I took the biggest snow I've seen, and it's mounted coming in feet down on the wall at my place in Kansas. Wing span is 42". To you water fowlers out there, is that a good one :?:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
They are impressive and beautiful in their numbers, but a plague to winter wheat farmers. They have become unbelievably numerous in recent years. Killed quite a few when I was living in Arkansas 1990-96. Never had much luck with them on the table - kinda rubbery. Maybe there's a good way to cook them but my traditional waterfowl cooking methods didn't get very good results. Maybe if they were better eating, there wouldn't be so many of them, ha.

Latest posts