Fully engraved S47 found... Final Update.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

americal

Hunter
Heliman said:
Well a credible source at fega.com thinks it could have been engraved at the Citori factory in Japan. I didn't know they did handguns.....thought it was just Winchester and Browning shotguns......just his opinion, but he is an expert.
8) 8) he may have it nailed...Reguardless its one fine engraved Ruger :)

Well, I have been aggressively pursuing leads as to the engraver of this revolver. Bottom line is that there is a consensus among a half a dozen or so experts tha it is well done, in the style of Japanese-American engraver "OGAWA". It is similar to Bill Mains and Jim Eyester's dad, neither of which engraved it. More likely that Ogawa did it while still in Japan for a US serviceman in the early 60's. But again, it is still according to the experts well done. If I hear anymore, I will update the post.

Dave

radicalrod

Hunter
I have an engraved Singlesix at home stashed away that I bought from a guy that had it done while he was stationed in JAPAN.....I will dig it out....it certainly is not nearly as complex a job as this Super has.....RR.

Here is an Ogawa engraved .357 - from the Washington/Oregon area. I have an engraver in No. California that can give you more information on him. He was known to frequent the Cow Palace Show in S.F. and engrave guns during the show. Very fast and great work. Not saying that yours or the .357 pictured here was done on a weekend but he was known to knock some stuff out quick. I believe he also checkered wood stocks too. If you want a good contact e-mail me and I will get the number for you. Nice gun you have there - a keeper for sure.
DSC07972.jpg

24178BKH3TRIGGERGUARD.jpg

24178BKH3BOYYOMGRIP.jpg

24178BKH3BBLADDRESS.jpg

24178BKH3RECOIL-1.jpg

24178BKH3TOPSTRAP-1.jpg

24178BKH3FRAME.jpg

jussbad said:
Here is an Ogawa engraved .357 - from the Washington/Oregon area. I have an engraver in No. California that can give you more information on him. He was known to frequent the Cow Palace Show in S.F. and engrave guns during the show. Very fast and great work. Not saying that yours or the .357 pictured here was done on a weekend but he was known to knock some stuff out quick. I believe he also checkered wood stocks too. If you want a good contact e-mail me and I will get the number for you. Nice gun you have there - a keeper for sure.
DSC07972.jpg

24178BKH3TRIGGERGUARD.jpg

24178BKH3BOYYOMGRIP.jpg

24178BKH3BBLADDRESS.jpg

24178BKH3RECOIL-1.jpg

24178BKH3TOPSTRAP-1.jpg

24178BKH3FRAME.jpg

Nice gun Gary! :D The style sure is similar..... Sent you a pm.

Okay, my last contact and several other experts seem to think that this gun was engraved by a Japanese engraver sometime in the 60's. Whether done in America or not is unknown. All agree that it is really nice work done by a skilled engraver. Most all agree that the grips were done separately and probably installed in the early 70's. All agree that the grips are elephant ivory. I guess for the time being that will have to do...... :D

Dave

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I would have bought that SBH and been happy too! I never see guns like that at Alaska shows.