Free spin pawl question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Lovel

Hunter
I have a 1998 mfg 45 Bisley Vaquero.
Do I need to purchase a free spin pawl or just remove the spring loaded detent in the recoil shield that engages the cylinder ratchet notch to freespin the cylinder?
Powers custom video just confused me.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
No idea what you are talking about. I think you need a free spin pawl. Either buy one or modify yours. I would watch the video but I do not want to get confused.

Tinman883

Bearcat
The short answer is ..... maybe.
The cowboy action shooters are a good source of information on modification and use of single action revolvers of all makes. Here is a link to a discussion on the free spin feature:

New Vaquero- comes with a free spin pawl, and an "indexing detent" under the small set screw under the hammer. Remove the detent and you have true "free spin".

Now on the original Vaquero, I don't know.

Edit: oops! Nomenclature fixed.

Last edited:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I have a 1998 mfg 45 Bisley Vaquero.
Do I need to purchase a free spin pawl or just remove the spring loaded detent in the recoil shield that engages the cylinder ratchet notch to freespin the cylinder?
Powers custom video just confused me.
In order for your gun to have the free spin pawl indexing system (RIPS) it has to be a NEW Vaquero from 2005 or later.

Unless you purchased the gun used and the system was custom installed.

But yes as posted above, just remove the indexing pawl in the hammer channel for a full free spin cylinder.

Latest posts