Found old Flat Top at gun show

Help Support Ruger Forum:

taphandle

Bearcat
Every gun show I always keep an eye out for an old 3 screw that I wouldn't feel bad about putting some wear and tear on as my others have become safe queens to me. So yesterday I find one at an older gentlemans table with some honest looking wear on it and the tag said $395. I was sold already but upon closer look I see that it's a flat top and that's all she wrote.

I'm quite happy with it. Rugers site dates it to 1958 (give or take I guess), It has a 222 prefix, the loading gate and top strap are nicely plummed and all in all it's in pretty good shape. The bad part is, I beleive the grip is not original or even the correct one. I'm hoping someone can tell me if it is or not but I'm not sure you can tell by just a pic. Either way I think it was a pretty good find.

gsflattop.jpg

JCW64

Single-Sixer
I think you did better than you realize. To me it appears to be a 7.5" barrel which is scarcer and more desireable. I'm not quite sure why you say the grip is incorrect. It appears to be correct to me. Can you be more descriptive?

flatgate

Hawkeye
Holy Cow! Looks like a 7-1/2" .44 Flattop to me! Wow, incredible deal.

Just to finalize your grip question, carefully remove the wood grip panels and look for some writing cast into the grip frame. XR-3 is what should be there.

Congratulations on your find!

flatgate

RugerHound

Hunter
Wow... It's all been said.. but I'll say it again: You hit a grand slam with that one!! I have a Type 3 7.5" .44 flattop that cost me ...errr... more than 395. ;) *cough*

You appear to have stolen..errr.. purchased a Type 4, probably shipped in late 1959. Looks like it has the right base pin and should have a steel ejector rod housing and barrel address without the eagle logo. Chad's RENE indicates perhaps 1500-2000 of the Type 4 BKH-47 shipped.

Fabulous... absolutely fabulous deal! Just don't tell us that you got a box with it too or there'll be a lot of long faces around the Rugerforum! :! :shock: There woulda been denim pocket renmants laying all around that table if any of this crew had wandered into that.

taphandle

Bearcat
JCW64 said:
I think you did better than you realize. To me it appears to be a 7.5" barrel which is scarcer and more desireable. I'm not quite sure why you say the grip is incorrect. It appears to be correct to me. Can you be more descriptive?

Yes sir, I did. I had no Idea that it was a 7.5 inch barrel until I looked at it next to my other flat top, yep 1 inch longer. A web page from John Taffin states that there were under 1000 44 flat tops that were shipped. It could be bad info though. http://www.sixguns.com/range/Rclassic.htm

I haven't checked the grip frame yet, I'll take a look later today.

Nope, no box. I only wish.

Thanks for the comments and help.

wapari

Bearcat
Does it have the safety bar installed? That is meant to prevent the hammer from hitting the primer and allows for a full 6 rounds to be loaded and carried safely.

contender

Ruger Guru
Wayne, I doubt it has the safety transfer bar or he would have likely mentioned it.
Most of us who collect do not want that infernal lawyer crap on our OM collectables.

wapari

Bearcat
I understand but sometimes one has no choice if the pistol purhased already has it....like me, but I just wanted the gun anyway. It is 1972 44 mag. When installed they change out the hammer as well. Maybe he was not aware of it and I though I'd ask.

street

Hunter
Is it just me or does it seem strange that a Flattop has a "PRE-FIX SERIAL NUMBER" of 222????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

SAJohn

Hunter
Street, I suspect Tap means the serial number is 222X. Forum members were envious when I got a 6.5 inch flattop here a couple of years ago for $500 but it did have real stag grips. Still, it was not the steal (I mean deal) Tap just pulled off.

John

taphandle

Bearcat
The gun is original, no transfer bar, 4 clicks when cocking hammer.

The serial # is 222xx, so I mispoke when I said prefix. Sorry 'bout that.

Still haven't pulled the grips off. I'll get to it this weekend.

I still can't believe how lucky I got with this deal. I'm going to see if Ruger will letter it for me.