For our esteemed 1911 fanboys

Help Support Ruger Forum:

soldernut

Single-Sixer
Elfego El Gato said:
Well, since this has turned into a 1911 picture thread, here are some more terrible pictures of my beautiful Dan Wesson Pointman 7:

Terrible pictures? I'd say not! The pictures of the gun are nice, too. :lol:

revhigh

Hawkeye
soldernut said:
revhigh said:
No need to cry at all Bill !!

Out of curiosity, how much would you say you had to spend to get a good shooting 1911 ?

This one was $400 + about another $150 for add-ons and trigger job.

Totally reliable and accurate as my Gold Cups (even with the GI sights). A few others below ... only 1 over $500 in the group ... The Gold Cup. It's tough for me to pony up much more than $500 for a handgun, except in the case of a specialty gun like the Gold Cups.

Okay, Rev, you've piqued my interest. What was the $400 starting platform? and what were the $150 add-ons?

If that was all a long time ago, what would you suggest - in today's market - to get similar results?

Glad to say SN !!

It started with a LNIB used stock Springfield GI model from a forum member. Then added the flat mainspring housing with magwell, High speed long trigger and trigger job by Chuck Lutz in Stroudsburg PA. EGW bushing, and Springfield laser etched crossed cannon grips from a MilSpec (my favorite Springfield grips). Also a full length EGW tungsten guide rod (that does nothing that I can tell) except add a little weight to the front-end. That's pretty much it.

It has the best trigger I've ever felt on a 1911, and I have some real nice 1911's with some real nice triggers ...

In today's market .... I'd start with a Springfield MilSpec at about $575 ... the best starting platform in a Springfield because of the better sights, lowered and flared ejection port, and nicer grips. To be honest ... I think the fairly new PARA GI Expert looks VERY promising, and the reviews have been very good. Supposedly the street prices are around $450, and that may be a GREAT starting point as well. I'd seriously look into it as long as you don't want one of the two main name brands of Colt or Springfield.

REV

trevi007

Bearcat
Yosemite Sam said:
Hooboy... Where's that "get the popcorn, sit back and watch" emoticon? :D

There are at least as many 1911 opinions as manufacturers, if not owners.

Personally I think the RIA is a great gun for the money, has super support, and is a good place to start. However, I'm not sure I'd use one as the basis for the "it" gun of my dreams. Yes, everything is standard and can be replaced. But you're still starting out with a cast frame. Not that I've ever had a lick of a problem with a gun due to it being cast vs. forged.

I think some of the resistance to RIAs in particular (and there is some -- get used to it; 1911 owners are a contentious lot -- "my way or the highway" many times) is that they're not made in the US. But then, that's pretty much true of any 1911 under $700 these days. Even the lower priced Springfields come on cast frames that are made in Brazil.

The mid-level Springfields seem to pack a lot of features for the money.

I don't like Kimber for a number of reasons.

I like to keep things simple and traditional: Internal extractors, barrels with bushings on them, non-ambi safeties, round trigger guards, no equipment rails, they didn't try to make the slide look like a Sig, etc.

What I might recommend is getting one of the RIA "Tactical" models, which means it comes with a beavertail and upgraded sights. Shoot it for a while as is. If you really like it, then decide if you want to upgrade that gun, or sell it and buy a nicer platform to use for your "ultimate" 1911.

I started out with a Colt Commander that a friend sold me. It was rattly and gouged up from previous owners, but it taught me about the platform. I've owned several others at this point, and have three now, a RIA hi-cap, a DW CBOB, and a Colt Gold Cup.

Also, you might do a little research into parts costs. Brownells and MidwayUSA are good guides. $20 here and $40 there adds up after a while.

Oh, and PS: Yes, there are other guns that shoot the .45 ACP, but the 1911 is sort of wedded to it, in my mind. Like they were developed as a system, or something. ;) The Glock 21 is a very nice weapon, and living in Cali you really don't have to worry about concealed carry... I've got a Glock 30 in case the CBOB ever feels too heavy. You might even check out a CZ 97, or a Sig P220 -- I'm a big fan of Sigs, too, and the P220 softens the recoil quite a bit. I hear the FNP .45 is even bigger than a Glock 21, though I've never handled one. Finally, the H&K USP Elite in .45 ACP would be a dream gun of mine, if it weren't overpriced, on a plastic frame, and felt like a (plastic) 2x4 when you handled it.

-- Sam

all springfields are forged steel not cast , even the GI...

Tankhead

Bearcat
Nice thread. But I haven't read anything about after the sale. A lifetime Guarntee on Springfields AND renowned customer service to boot. This is the supplier I use for my 1911's. And of course my 4" Redhawk 44 mag. http://www.onlinegundeals.com/Category/662/Guns/Pistols/Springfield-Armory-Pistols.htm.

chopprs

Single-Sixer
The one, the only, the original.........my dream girl!!! :)

cimg3847.jpg

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Springfield 1911s with "P" prefixed model numbers were described in many places, just earlier this year, as cast frames that are made in Brazil. I note that today the Springfield Armory site specifically says that even the GI model uses a forged frame. I don't know if this is a change @ Springfield, or misinformation that was being passed around re: the P series frames. I also don't know where they are made.

Just possibly they are forged frames made in Brazil, and that got conflated with cast frame, since other makers use 1911 frames that are cast, and are made in Brazil. However, this last bit is just conjecture on my part.

-- Sam

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
All the Springers I've seen are forged frames, I believe the frames and slides for most, if not all of their pistols are made in Brazil. The G.I.'s are all finished in Brazil, most MilSpecs are also. My Loaded was made and finished in Brazil, so obviously some Loaded's are also made there. Anything above those models are all assemblied and finished in Illinois, I've been there a couple of times, really cool place, very nice people.

DMCI

Bearcat
My first game gun started out as a box stock Colt Series 70 which my Dad said I could use to shoot IPSC if I didn't modify it. While starting with a little innocuous trigger job and removable sights, the thing progressed slowly into a pin gun.

My point is that for a little over $1K makers such as Kimber make a very nice shooter friendly competition pistol that in my view is the equal of something costing twice that 20 years ago, and it saved me a whole lot of running around! Shown below is one similar to what I bought used for $1000 when comped game guns fell out of favor in our area. I just replace the grips with something a little more conservative, and I was in business.

The comp gun? I still have it and haul it out when ever the club sets up it's plate rack and I need 5 in four seconds or less.

large_team_match_II.jpg

soldernut

Single-Sixer
Texasgunner said:
My $400 RIA 8)
Well, + a couple bucks for xtras

45017.jpg

Nice looking RIA!

Aside from the grips, can you tell us which RIA model you started with - and what other extras you added? Those sights don't look one bit like the "GI" style I've seen on $400 RIAs. Did the slide have to be modified to install those sights?

soldernut

Single-Sixer
DMCI said:
My first game gun started out as a box stock Colt Series 70 which my Dad said I could use to shoot IPSC if I didn't modify it. While starting with a little innocuous trigger job and removable sights, the thing progressed slowly into a pin gun.

My point is that for a little over $1K makers such as Kimber make a very nice shooter friendly competition pistol that in my view is the equal of something costing twice that 20 years ago, and it saved me a whole lot of running around! Shown below is one similar to what I bought used for $1000 when comped game guns fell out of favor in our area. I just replace the grips with something a little more conservative, and I was in business.

The comp gun? I still have it and haul it out when ever the club sets up it's plate rack and I need 5 in four seconds or less.

I'm curious about those sights. Factory stock? Or something else.

And, if something else, can you say what - and whether your slide had to be modified to fit them?

john16443

Single-Sixer
Purchased my first 1911 on the way home from work today. NIB Rock Island Tactical for under $500. Going to gun show tomorrow for ammo and look around for accessories. First order of business is a few more mags and ammo.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
soldernut said:
DMCI said:

I'm curious about those sights. Factory stock? Or something else.

And, if something else, can you say what - and whether your slide had to be modified to fit them?
It's not my gun, of course, but I believe those are standard Eliason sights as used on Gold Cups.

-- Sam

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
Good solid 1911's are still out there. Just need to be patient and keep looking.
Two weeks ago I picked up this one at a nearby Gander Mountain.
* AMT Frame
* Colt Slide
* Bo Mar top rail and target sites
* Some other interior modifications
Best part was I got them down from $500 to $418....(or $450 out the door) !!
Hoping the weather will clear off so I can shoot it next week.
I am liking it.
HD :D
393892022.jpg

393892023.jpg

sturmenater

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz said:
All the Springers I've seen are forged frames, I believe the frames and slides for most, if not all of their pistols are made in Brazil. The G.I.'s are all finished in Brazil, most MilSpecs are also. My Loaded was made and finished in Brazil, so obviously some Loaded's are also made there. Anything above those models are all assemblied and finished in Illinois, I've been there a couple of times, really cool place, very nice people.

You are correct my lowly springfield champion is forged as for the sights I like em fixed and low no sights going to save my bacon

soldernut

Single-Sixer
hdonlybob said:
Good solid 1911's are still out there. Just need to be patient and keep looking.
Two weeks ago I picked up this one at a nearby Gander Mountain.
* AMT Frame
* Colt Slide
* Bo Mar top rail and target sites
* Some other interior modifications
Best part was I got them down from $500 to $418....(or $450 out the door) !!
Hoping the weather will clear off so I can shoot it next week.
I am liking it.
HD :D

That's pretty neat! I hadn't known about the Bo Mar top rail. It looks like a clean and relatively easy way to set a 1911 up to take pretty much any sight you want. Does it add a lot of weight or height to the gun?