? For 454 Super Redhawk owners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Powderblast

Bearcat
Planning on getting a Super Redhawk 7.5 before deer season. Couple of questions beforehand.
1. Anything negative about the 454 that I should know other than I imagine it has a lot of blast.
I have never shot one, but do shoot full power 44 mag blackhawk now and I had a 5.5 standard
Redhawk in the past.
2. For those who know, do the 45 Colt cartridges group well in the 454 gun, considering it has a little
more bullet jump before hitting the forcing cone? I reload so I'm not limited to factory ammo, so I can
experiment with overall cartridge length and such in the 45 colt. I know most 45 Colt factory ammo
is mild to stay within specs, but not a problem for reloader.
Anything other info concerning 454 in this gun appreciated. Thanks

Powderblast

whichwatch

Blackhawk
I have a Super Redhawk in .454, the Toklat. Recoil is subjective and everyone has different tolerance levels regarding recoil. Some can take it and some people flinch at little more than a .22lr. The .454 recoil can be brutal if you are not used to it. I had never shot one prior to getting mine, I took it out, loaded it and stepped up and shot it. Was loaded with the Hornady 240 gr XTP, recoil wasn't bad, quite a bit more than the same gr. bullet in .44 Magnum. Didn't really bother me but the box of 20 rounds was enough for that session. Looking forward to trying some 325 gr. hard cast next time out. There's a custom gun builder out there that says he'd rather
have a sister in a whorehouse than a .454. Get one, try it and see if you like it.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I've got a Magnaported FA 83, in .454, with 4 3/4" barrel that is the single most Ill mannered handgun I've ever shot. Pulling the trigger is something akin to pulling the pin on a hand grenade. It's even uncomfortable to shoot with warm .45C ammo.
I've got a SBH in .480 and have no problem shooting it with heavy loads. I've been shooting .44M since the 80's and don't consider myself overly recoil sensitive.
I bought a Toklat today so I have something in .454, I can (hopefully) shoot.
If I have problems with the Toklat, I'll chalk it up to the fact that I've found my recoil limit.

Edit: I had a chance to shoot the Toklat with some factory FA 260gr & 300gr ammo.
Not at all uncomfortable to shoot. The grips really take the bite out of the gun.
Now, to send the FA 83 on down the road.

wwb

Hunter
Powderblast said:
2. For those who know, do the 45 Colt cartridges group well in the 454 gun, considering it has a little
more bullet jump before hitting the forcing cone? I reload so I'm not limited to factory ammo, so I can
experiment with overall cartridge length and such in the 45 colt. I know most 45 Colt factory ammo
is mild to stay within specs, but not a problem for reloader........

The answer is simple since you're a reloader - if you bite the bullet and stock up on .454 brass, you can load from mild to wild and not worry about bullet jump or a crud ring in the cylinder. I don't have a .454, but I have .44 mag and .357 mag revolvers that have never seen .44 Spl or .38 Spl brass.

Mus408

Hunter
Powderblast...here's a video I took while testing my new 454/45 Colt Alaskan.
I was testing some hot .45 Colt loads and had two good little groups going from about 20-25 ft.
My favorite load is 300 gr. hammerheads over 10.4 gr. of Unique.
Look close at the groups.
https://youtu.be/M7sKKODafcc

Powderblast

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. I was debating between the .44 and the .454, but since I do reload
I figured I would be able to choose what to shoot from mild .45 all the way to .454. In
talking with my son today he brought up another consideration though, and that is cartridge
compatibility, since I have a .44 levergun. I could always trade for a 454 lever gun. I
probably wouldn't shoot many 454's, but be nice to always have the option. My original thoughts
were to load .45 Colt 250 XTP to about the same velocity as my .44 mag 240 XTP load for deer. If I
was ever able to go for elk, moose or bear, would have a bit longer range perhaps with 454.
Does anyone know if the cylinders on the .44 and .454 are the same length? They appear to be
from pictures.

contender

Ruger Guru
I own several SA's in 44 mag & 45 Colt. I also own a FA 83 in 454. Get the 454 & load it as you've mentioned & enjoy. I would suggest the use of 454 brass,, as it's a easier to clean & such,,, if you choose to change loads,,, no sticking issues with the brass. As noted,,, the 45 Colt,,, from mild to wild.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I am a 45/454 fan. Having said that finding a suitable 454 lever gun may be problematic. And if you do find one it may not feed your preferred revolver load(s)...

Powderblast said:
Planning on getting a Super Redhawk 7.5 before deer season. Couple of questions beforehand.
is mild to stay within specs, but not a problem for reloader.
Anything other info concerning 454 in this gun appreciated. Thanks

Powderblast

I have a Redhawk converted to 454 and I shoot a lot of hot 45 Colt reloads through it. I've found the gun to be extremely accurate. My go to load is a 250 - 270 grain bullet at 1500 fps.

P3180080-001_zps0tiednzc.jpg

P1260348800x600_zpsbe3d42cf.jpg

MaxP

Buckeye
Silent Sam said:
Having said that finding a suitable 454 lever gun may be problematic.

They're out there. I recently picked up a Puma in .454 Casull for a pretty good price.

Powderblast

Bearcat
Well, I really have enjoyed the replies and all the good info. I liked the little piggie too. They don't allow such in kentucky,
but I hope to travel south some day and enjoy a good pig hunt. As Paul Harvey used to say, here's the rest of the story.
I went shoppin today, hit about six different shops all around west and central Kentucky. i found new Super Redhawk's
in 454 and 44. They were pretty, and pretty expensive of course. I had intended on taking tradin stock but chores got
in the way last night and couldn't get the original boxes and everything together for the guns I was considering tradin,
so I just said I'll buy one and sell my tradin stock. Might take a bit longer but that's how it goes. Well, I walk into one shop
and they have a 454 with the longer barrel (9 inches maybe) and a used 44 Super Redhawk with 7.5 which is the length
I wanted. The gun was a little dirty but barrel looked good inside, locked up like normal, a small scratch on the cylinder
(and I mean small), cylinder gap ok, and about 300 less than a new 454. Well I got to thinking about planning on getting
a small youth 22 for this summer (oldest grandkids probably going to graduate from BB gun to plinkin with 22's this summer)
So in the end, the cheap side of me won out. But that's ok too, cause I already got hundreds of 44's loaded, and it is set up
with the rings which is what I wanted anyway. All I have to do is dig out my old 2x Leupold pistol scope from years ago, mount
it on and I'm ready to shoot groups. And I have lever gun in 44 so all will be well, cause, well, I'm just cheap. I think I can
get one of those short youth Henry 22 lever guns for the money I saved. And that is the rest of the story.

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
whichwatch said:
I have a Super Redhawk in .454, the Toklat. Recoil is subjective and everyone has different tolerance levels regarding recoil. Some can take it and some people flinch at little more than a .22lr. The .454 recoil can be brutal if you are not used to it. I had never shot one prior to getting mine, I took it out, loaded it and stepped up and shot it. Was loaded with the Hornady 240 gr XTP, recoil wasn't bad, quite a bit more than the same gr. bullet in .44 Magnum. Didn't really bother me but the box of 20 rounds was enough for that session. Looking forward to trying some 325 gr. hard cast next time out. There's a custom gun builder out there that says he'd rather
have a sister in a whorehouse than a .454. Get one, try it and see if you like it.

Ditto this but, I own a John Ross S&W 500 also and don't have a problem with eithers recoil.
Steve