Flatbolt stock refinish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Alas, my M77RS, 350RemMag stock is in need of refinishing. I have done several stocks over the years, but this one is special to me and I want it done right and as close to how it came from Ruger as possible. This is my first Ruger M77, bought as a Christmas present for myself in 1972 after my second trip to RVN. It's killed a dump truck full of game and has hunted every where I've lived for almost 50 years. There's not much finish left on it and it soaks up water if I hunt it in the rain or snow.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith that can do this for me, do it right, and in a reasonable amount of time?

Not a very difficult project if you are handi. Tru Oil is a great product I have done
some stocks with very good results. Dent and gouges can be tough to deal with but other than that it's a pretty straight forward project. Sanding and applying the finish.
Steel wool between coats and take as far as you like.

Did it have a High Gloss finish when new? PM me if you like if you have time it is really
a simple straight forward project. ps

powder smoke said:
Dent and gouges can be tough to deal with but other than that it's a pretty straight forward project. Sanding and applying the finish.
Dents can be 'removed' by applying a few drops of water to just the dent (needs to be bare wood). The area will swell and then sanded smooth. May have to repeat a couple times if a bad one. Gouges are another story.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I have found the only difficult spots on a 77 tang stock is the checkered area. The rest of the stock can be steamed out. If there is a dent on an edge, might take more work. I use tru oil and as many coats as needed to get the correct look.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I have found the only difficult spots on a 77 tang stock is the checkered area. The rest of the stock can be steamed out. If there is a dent on an edge, might take more work. I use tru oil and as many coats as needed to get the correct look.