First year NM Blackhawk 41 mag value?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sbeduckman

Single-Sixer
Looking to buy a budget friendly Blackhawk in 41 or 44; and I'm afraid I don't have much of a handle on the used market. Located one locally in 4 5/8" barrel (what I want). Owner says it's the first year NM in 41 magnum. Looks to be mostly good honest wear, I'd say the gun is 85/90%. Has aftermarket rubber grips, no box/docs, no real history since he only bought it recently at an estate sale. Has a recessed chambers on the cylinder. Owner states the gun runs well, no known issues. Can you fine folks give me a ballpark on value? Thanks in advance.

Cape Cod Terry

Single-Sixer
Hi, don't know what part of the country you're in but in New England a 85-90% NM 41 mag would probably be a $350 gun and if you could get it for $300 you would be doing pretty good. I wouldn't pay any premium for a first year NM unless it was LNIB. The .41 Mag is a fine caliber and has it's hard core loyal fans, but the few used ones I see out here tend to set on dealer shelves for a long, long time. Dealers will price them lower than a .357 or .44 cause they are harder to sell.If it's what you want bargain hard for it, the seller will find out it is a niche market.
Cape Cod Terry

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Cape Cod Terry said:
Hi, don't know what part of the country you're in but in New England a 85-90% NM 41 mag would probably be a $350 gun and if you could get it for $300 you would be doing pretty good. I wouldn't pay any premium for a first year NM unless it was LNIB. The .41 Mag is a fine caliber and has it's hard core loyal fans, but the few used ones I see out here tend to set on dealer shelves for a long, long time. Dealers will price them lower than a .357 or .44 cause they are harder to sell.If it's what you want bargain hard for it, the seller will find out it is a niche market.
Cape Cod Terry

Agree. I've priced my low round count 6 1/2" bbl (1999 mfg) at a couple local shops as a trade in, and $325-$375 was the best offer I got. Might get $450 on a private sale if you're lucky.

Ruger.jpg~original

Sbeduckman

Single-Sixer
mhblaw said:
Don't think any NMBH's had "recessed chambers". Early OM 41's did, but not NM's.

I was told some of the earliest ones did. That made sense to me, suppose Ruger had some spare cylinders around maybe. I'm afraid I'm not certain either way.

Sbeduckman

Single-Sixer
Quick search tells me such a thing exists. Here's a NM in 45 with with recessed chambers.

http://rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131795

And here's a NM 41 with recessed chambers....

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=228215

Sbeduckman

Single-Sixer
Ended up finding a 44 here through the classifieds. The asking price of the local 41 is $350, and it comes with 75 rounds loaded ammo and 25 empty brass. A good deal by all accounts, but I opted for the 44.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
What's the serial number on it? I have #27 NM Blackhawk in .41 from 1973, and while its value is in the ball park mentioned in this thread, I'd be interested in it if you pass on it.

Latest posts