FINALLY

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Well, today I finally saw an ad from Midsouth (?) offereing Aguil .22LR for a "reasonable price given normal gouging". They will sell you 2,000 rounds for $99.99. This is the ONLY time I've seen something showing that supply and demand might be starting to work... that price is $25 per brick (as we old folks used to calculate). I didn't bother to check to see the price of shipping....
FYI,
J

Well let's see, 35 or so years ago it was around $10 per brick of 500 and I was making $6.10 per hour as an apprentice electrician. Today my wages are 7x what they were 35 years ago, but 22 LR hasn't gone up 7x. Crude math, I know, but you get the idea.
So it's not really price gouging. Ammunition prices go up because it costs more to make it.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Well, I still consider it price gouging when withing just a short space of time (a year or two) I noticed it go from $14.50 per 500 to over $90 per 500. Then after several more years, it's dropped to about $50-$60 per 500 ON SALE. This sale at MidSouth is showing an unheard of price at $25 per 500......... in my humble opinion, prices don't fluctuate THAT much because of anything other than a "controlled marketplace". Sorta like DeBeers does with diamonds for the past century.
IMHO
J.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Well let's see, 35 or so years ago it was around $10 per brick of 500 and I was making $6.10 per hour as an apprentice electrician. Today my wages are 7x what they were 35 years ago, but 22 LR hasn't gone up 7x. Crude math, I know, but you get the idea.
So it's not really price gouging. Ammunition prices go up because it costs more to make it.
However the fair comparison isnt what you made then vs. what you make now.

The fair comparison is what job paid you $6.10 per hour then vs. what that same job pays now.

Cholo

Staff member

Johnnu2

Hunter
Well, I still consider it price gouging when withing just a short space of time (a year or two) I noticed it go from $14.50 per 500 to over $90 per 500. Then after several more years, it's dropped to about $50-$60 per 500 ON SALE. This sale at MidSouth is showing an unheard of price at $25 per 500......... in my humble opinion, prices don't fluctuate THAT much because of anything other than a "controlled marketplace". Sorta like DeBeers does with diamonds for the past century.
IMHO
J.
They are starting to catch on...............
As long as we DON'T BUY.... :ninja:
J.

IMHO
J.

They are starting to catch on...............
As long as we DON'T BUY.... :ninja:
J.

You can call it what you want, but it's basic economics and silly shooters who panic and buy it at any price, which drives the price up.

Way back when it was $9.99 a brick, my father, in one of his teachable moments said: "At that price, why wouldn't you buy a brick every time you went into the store?" So I did. I guess that's why I'm not bothered by todays prices.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
I believe scout 308 wages would be 42.70 per hour if my math is right
Correct, but thats not what I was getting at. What is the current pay for an apprentice electrician? Surely apprentice electricians make more than $6.10 an hour today. Is it 7x the $6.10 from 35+ years ago? Maybe.

Using an inflation calculator, $6.10 in 1989 equals $15 today, just due to inflation alone.

Last edited:
POINT IS.... when I was making $6.10 per hour, I had no problem paying $10 for a brick of .22 ammunition, so I stocked up then with enough to last a lifetime. But if I needed some today and had to pay $35-$40 per brick, it wouldn't be a big deal because my income has outpaced the price of the ammunition. Everything goes up, including our wages. If .22 ammunition is too high for your tastes, don't buy it!

Johnnu2

Hunter
You can call it what you want, but it's basic economics and silly shooters who panic and buy it at any price, which drives the price up.

Way back when it was $9.99 a brick, my father, in one of his teachable moments said: "At that price, why wouldn't you buy a brick every time you went into the store?" So I did. I guess that's why I'm not bothered by todays prices.
My wife ALWAYS asked me WHY I bought a brick of .22's every time we went to Walmart; she'd follow that up with "just how many of those boxes do you already have?". I made up some mumbled b.s. as a polite answer and bought that extra brick. I think, over the years, the most expensive bricks I ever bought were $14 +/- a few cents. I haven't bought any ammo in years, BUT the gouging still frosts my cookies. Everything else in our world that is going up doesn't bother me at all.... just the ammo prices. OK AND the 18% increase on my homeowner's and car insurances pisses me off too .. oh yeah, and maybe the increase in......
J. ;)

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
I get that there is "gouging" but to label it all as such is nonsense.

If indeed, one thinks it is gouging - don't buy it. If I see something that I think is priced too high, I have two options, pass on it or buy it. I can't control their manufacturing, their shipping expenses, their raw materials, their supplier mark ups, their labor costs, their manufacturing methods, etc.

Gouging, has become the defacto excuse because things are not the same price as they once were or they found them on sale somewhere else. So, that is called capitalism and consumerism.

Blackhawk Convertable

Single-Sixer
The Aguila's are basically Mini Mags velocity at Auto Mag prices. I wish I could trade all my Federal Auto Mag boxes (1200fps) for the Aguila Super Extra Copper-Plated at 1255fps. I did just buy 10 boxes in that plan because the price per round came out to just over 5 cents a round.