Finally tried some wadcutters

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I decided to get some wadcutters. We tried them first in my daughter's new SP101. I shot a handful today out of the 4" Model 10 Smith. WOW, like shooting a .22 with full report.

Clovispup tried it, and just smiled and shook her head. Couldn't believe how soft they were. Seemed pretty accurate, and don't waste powder.

For inquiring minds they were Xtreme plated 148 grain loaded with Universal in .38 special cases halfway between medium and max.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I have a box that I made up before my surgery, and they are still in the brass. When it cools up I'll see about getting them out. I also loaded a few halfway into the brass to see how they will act. 3.5 gr of Bullseye with a 148 gr.DEWC. Both lube grooves are full. I still have a box of factory loads I bought at a gun show in October. Haven't opened it yet. I have a slight aversion to factory loads.

DGW1949

Hunter
I haven't put a pencil to it, but I'd suspect that a .38-Spl loaded with 2.7-3.0 Grns of Bullseye powder and home-cast WC's are probably just as cheap to shoot as .22's are these days, if not more so. Plus, it's a heck of a lot of fun to shoot and the cases last purty-near forever. No need for fancy lubes or special lubing equipment either...plain ole thinned-down liquid Alox still works just as well as it always did.

Easy-peazy, and cheap to boot...that's what I'm talking about.

DGW

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
These are pretty cheap to shoot.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/287589/hornady-bullets-38-caliber-358-diameter-148-grain-lead-hollow-base-wadcutter-box-of-250

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/382348/hornady-bullets-38-caliber-358-diameter-158-grain-lead-semi-wadcutter-box-of-300

gunzo

Buckeye
I've shot a lot of wadcutters over the years, varying with Unique, 231/HP38, or Bullseye, & have a saying about them.
"If a gun doesn't shoot wadcutters well, it's likely it won't shoot anything well." There are exceptions, but they are rare.

They won't win any long range or Bear knockdown contest. But for inexpensive, accurate, & enjoyable shooting, they can't be beat.

Cholo

Staff member
All I load in my .38 Special guns is a WC with 3.4 grs. of Bullseye. I've also loaded a WC in .357 brass with 4 grs. of Bullseye, though I prefer Unique and a SWC.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Wadcutters are great .

148Gr WC with 2.7-3.0gr Bullseye are iconic for a reason. And etc .

That said I arrived at a load with cast 158 swc @ 700fps using 231 that gave single digit velocity spread ( extreme spread, not sd ) , and shoots as tightly as my guns and eyes otherwise are capable. And 158gr @ 700fps is still reasonably pleasant recoil.

Ron IL

Bearcat
I have been using 148 gr DEWC, double ended wad cutters, with great results. They are from Mastercast. That company is local to me. I use 3.2 gr of Bullseye. I just picked up a box of the coated ones to test. They shot really good and the barrel was really clean when I got done. Ran a brush through it and a pad. Would not have needed to even clean it. Really happy with these. This is really cheap shooting and my GP100 has become one of my favorites. Now I mostly take it and my Alaskan with 45 colt reloads to the range. I did a Wolff spring job on my GP100 and really made it a good shooter.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Biggfoot44 said:
Wadcutters are great .

148Gr WC with 2.7-3.0gr Bullseye are iconic for a reason. And etc .

That said I arrived at a load with cast 158 swc @ 700fps using 231 that gave single digit velocity spread ( extreme spread, not sd ) , and shoots as tightly as my guns and eyes otherwise are capable. And 158gr @ 700fps is still reasonably pleasant recoil.

Not sure why, but I have had disappointing results with HP38. I have an unopened bottle of it that I probably need to find an acceptable load for and use up, but I'm just not feeling the love. I know a lot of people seem to really like it.

Ron IL

Bearcat
My powder I use for everything pistol is Bullseye or Unique. I have a few more bottles of other stuff I haven't really done much with except to see that it works. I always figured I would go to it when I couldn't get the good stuff. My regular store never has them in stock but found another strore close by that has a shelf full of them and carries the cast bullets I like.

Latest posts