Finally got a Single Six 32 H&R Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gak

Buckeye
That wasn't a bad price for one of the adjustable sight models! .32 Mags are some of my favorite shootin' irons/cartridge of all time, and one of these days I hope to get a .327--or make one out of my Vaquerito .32 if Ruger doesn't beat me to it. Hope you find something else that works for you though!

BenT

Bearcat
Here a picture of the difference in grips between the fixed and adjustable sight models.

Rugergrips.jpg

rugers.jpg

I bought the adjustable sight one last year for $250 to see if i could shoot it better than the fixed sight. Sat down for an hour shooting through a couple hundred rounds to find out that if I just spend time shooting I can shoot just as good with fixed sights as adjustable. I let it go for $450 when a friends buddy wanted it because it was the first year production. Had it 6 weeks made $200.

I pack this gun when ever I walk in the woods . It is my favorite.

gak

Buckeye
I know you're talking your specific guns re grip size, but .32 neophytes should know that the fixed sight (casually called by some "Vaquerito") was made with both the "short" and regular XR-3 Red gripframes. They often appeared side by side in the store cases--with salesmen either clueless about the different styles, or feigning such--though for awhile it seemed like the shorts were all you'd see. I have regular-gripped fixed-sight models from throughout the production period.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
gak":3ka717zg said:
That wasn't a bad price for one of the adjustable sight models! .32 Mags are some of my favorite shootin' irons/cartridge of all time, and one of these days I hope to get a .327--or make one out of my Vaquerito .32 if Ruger doesn't beat me to it. Hope you find something else that works for you though!

Really? It is the fixed sight model with the 6 in barrel. It is in excellent condition. It has the original wood grips and some Ajax replacements that are fake pearl. It looks nice but I didn't know the value. I am new to the 32 H&Rs.

The salesman called my house and made a better offer for the 38-40/40 S&W Vaquero too. Better but not great yet.

The RugerForum helped me again.

Dave
Southern Idaho

gak

Buckeye
Dave, I guess I'd need to see a picture. If it has a ramped front sight, it may be a staked fixed rear like some (?) of the Bisleys have, but still with a rounded top strap--that I have a tendency to wrongly lump with what is normally thought of as "adjustable" sight models with the Blackhawk style topstrap....versus the fixed sight 4-5/8" "baby Vaquero" or "Vaquerito" (not factory terms btw). The 4-5/8" barrel is the only one ever offered by the factory on this style gun--is what threw me.

Nevertheless, I should say, more accurately, if you have a ramped front sight, whether technically fixed rear or not, the price was good-to-very good, depending on the local market. Those Single Six .32s with the "Colt SAA" or "Vaquero" type profile--call it cowboy look--including the front sight, typically have gone for a little less than fixed (r))/ramped (f) and adjustable (r)/ramped (f) .32s--in part 'cause the latter types have been out of production longer (and at least appear to be more scarce). Unlike the Vaquerito, a variety of barrel lengths were provided in the earlier (ramped front) style .32s.

peyton

Single-Sixer
I just picked up my single six in 32 mag yesterday. It has the shorter 4 5/8 (?) barrel. It had a slight turn line and is going to the range this weekend. One of my friends in New Mexico knows I am a fanatic about that caliber and let me know about it.

nhlever

Bearcat
I was finally able to find a nice 4 5/8" SSM not long ago. I've been shooting it, and it shoots OK, but I think it could be better. The chamber throats on mine are .311 wich is smaller than the bore dimensions. Has anyone opened the throats on one of these, and how did it work out? I don't want to hijack the thread, just have been waiting a long time to find one, and really want it to shoot well.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I think the chamber throats were and issue when the Single Sixes came out. Mine leaves a little lead on the edge of the cylinder when shooting lead. I have read where opening up the throats to 312 help to keep this from happening.

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
I've opened all the cyl throats on all of mine and it has helped
accuracy and they shoot a lot cleaner.

FrontSite