Finally got a deal!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dirt1

Bearcat
Well I have never had much luck getting a deal on guns at a chain store. But I walked into Gander Mountain today with the intentions of picking up a stainless Vaquero with 4 5/8" barrel chambered in 44-40. They also had a single six with a 6 1/2" barrel in 32 H&R mag. So just for grins I asked the guy what kind of deal he would give me on the pair. He got out his little wheel and did some figuring and came back with $364 for the Vaquero and $274 for the single six. It kind of blew me away! They originally had $449 on the Vaquero and then marked it down to $404. And they had $299.99 on the single six, which I thought was a good deal to begin with. Both are in very good condition. The single six has a couple small marks on the grip frame, but nothing major. The Vaquero looks like it had very few rounds through it. I'd guess the guy couldn't hit anything with it because of the chamber throat issue and traded it in.

So how do you guys think I did on the deal? Is my excitement justified?

Thanks for the replies!

dirt1

Tankhead

Bearcat
Nice thinking on your feet. 8) Definately saved some $$ asking about the 2nd. Nice to be walking out w/ 2 Rugers instead of 1. :D

dirt1

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies! I can't wait to pick them up! Not sure, but I think I'm going to have to wait until the weekend. Just started a new job, so it's a little hard to get away during the week. I'll try and post some pics when I get them.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
dirt1, In my estimation, you got a very good deal on both considering how Ruger's are going up just about everywhere you check and the fact Gander Mountain is reasonable and will "work" with you! We have a place here in Windsor, Maine called "HUSSEY'S" that have some of the most "rediculous" gun prices I have ever seen anywhere! I visit my sister about every two weeks who lives in Windsor and was just in there this morning. For the large inventory they have in guns, their sales personnel are not very knowledgeable in gunsmithing or gun problems. I always like to put them to a "test" when I go in there and they really need to hire a "knowledgeable" gun person who can at least price guns "properly"! They have all of their old Model 94's priced at between $3200 and $4400. I only saw 2 out of about 20 that were anywhere close to that "value"! They advertise that they sell anything from guns, groceries and wedding gowns and they "do" have an ample supply of all three including a pretty well stocked Hardware department. You gotta' love my sister though. She just gave me a very nice S&W Model 28 this morning free of charge!..................Dick :!:

LOL i haven't been in there in awhile, so no you didn't , i have to say i wished i had see them but i have been trying real hard to be a good boy and saying away as they have taken lots of my money over the years

some times them guys just don't know their Rugers good enought and you can get a good deal on a used one if its been setting for a spell

if you need some 44-40 ammo to feed that girl let me know as i have several boxes and nothing to shoot them in right now

dirt1

Bearcat
I might take you up on that Hawk. Where are you at? I didn't pick any ammo up while I was there. Was hoping to find a better deal someplace else.

Yeah, I think your right on with not knowing their Rugers. I think when the guy quoted me the price on the pair he was expecting me to haggle more, I think once he saw how fast that I said "I'll take them both" he had realized that he could have gotten more for them.

If you want you can send me a PM with location and what you want for the ammo. Or maybe we could work out some sort of trade deal. I have quite a bit of "stuff".

Latest posts