No star but still a decent deal/Service Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Picked up the DAO Service Six 38spl
20231213_152603.jpg
20231213_152404.jpg
today and it was in pretty decent shape though very dirty and no NYCPD armorer's "star". Still for a bid of $305, I'm pleased. Requested a Ruger letter confirming it's a NYCPD contract gun but an over run. I got rid of the ill fitting & worn Pachmayr gripper and put a Herretts I had in a box squirreled away. A few light surface scratches but tight and has a nice trigger. Tomorrow will be range day.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I sent my letter request to Ruger last week and Southport, CT is stone throw from me so shouldn't be long. Serial # 162- 4050X puts it in the right range and seller in NYC area. Expect it to be factory over run. Took it to the range, put 100 158gr Xtreme FP over 4.3 grains HP-38 and it shot very accurately. I put the gripper back on because it keeps my middle finger knuckle away from the trigger guard. I like this gun quite a bit. Anxious to see the letter. Awesome Ruger does it for $10 when S&W charges $100. Photo with her work shoes on... 20231214_122327.jpg

Last edited:
Was the "speed hammer" strictly DAO or capable of being cocked SA?
That's an interesting question Dad has one that he got from an employee via Rody's that is noted as an experimental hammer ie spurless but in NOT DAO, true double action. These hammers are mentioned by John Hansen in Ruger and his guns IIRC. I still have that gun w. It came with both hammers. Pretty sure it does not letter as that model was never officially made,

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I like it! It would look good with a set of original factory grips and a #8 Tyler T-Grip. You might like how it feels with that combination instead of the grips you have on it now.
I bought an original set of square butt grips but when they arrived the ebay seller had sent me round butt Speed Six grips by mistake. I've been trying what I've already got in the meantime. I switched the factory DAO Service Six
20231215_064356.jpg
hammer with my 2 3/4" Speed Six hammer today and put a Sile grip on the Service Six. I've got another NYCPD(lettered) Service Six identical to this recent one so I've already got one in original configuration and I can switch it back if I want.

Attachments

• 20231215_065743.jpg
    20231215_065743.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231215_064451.jpg
    20231215_064451.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
That's a pretty high serial number gun with that extractor shroud underlug contour.

Do you have the letter already, or are you just assuming it is a GF84-NYCPD?

Ruger did sell the spurless hammer as a part for a few bucks back in the day. They called it the Speed Hammer.
I received the letter today confirming it's a GF84-NYCPD and shipped to New York City PD in July 1987. I'm very pleased it wasn't another over run although it didn't get the "star." Ruger sure does a nice job with the letter and only $10! Two weeks between time I mailed it until the day I received it.
20231221_135657.jpg

Last edited:

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Strangely enough, I've got a lettered GS-83 NYCPD 3" Speed Six with star produced in June 1988 that shipped to Davidson's in Dec 1988. No mention in letter of shipping to NY but star is stamped on frame. Previous owner was from Arizona near Davidsons.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
It is my understanding that the NYPD armorer applied the star when the gun was accepted into service. So this one may not have ever been cop-carried in spite of being delivered to NYPD.
Thanks for the explanation of why star isn't present. Makes perfect sense.

hittman

Staff member
Lots of odd ball or mysterious or unexplained stuff can happen with guns like these. I have a MSHP Smith 686 with all the markings EXCEPT the badge number. After research, experts tell me those without the badge number were kept at Troop Headquarters as back up for duty guns needing repair or for practice sessions. I darn near passed on the gun assuming it was "fake" but the seller was patient with me.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I have an overrun Service Six without the star. I'm retired from that agency and collect those guns. I was a bit disappointed that mine didn't have the star, but the Job heavily pushed the S&W Model 64, and probably 80% of the cops chose the Smith, so the first shipment was enough for a few years and by the time the Job might have needed more, we were already switching to the GP100, so the second shipment was sold to Davidson's. A spurred hammer does drop right in. I put one in my GP100. I can switch it back in minutes if I want to.

The Star was applied when the guns arrived at the NYPD, which is why sometimes you'll see one that looks brand new but has the star. It means it sat at the equipment section but was never bought by a recruit. When the Job went to the GP100, the Six guns still in inventory were traded back to Ruger for credit on the GP100, and then Ruger sold them to Davidson's.