finally bought an SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
Been a while since I was on the forum. It was really hot and humid outside yesterday so I decided to go to the gun show and " look around". It was disappointing how small it was compared to ones in the past that have been held at the same venue.
But I on the bright side there was one SR1911 so I decided to purchase it. It has been since the mid 90's since I have used a 1911, and boy have I gotten spoiled by my composite Rugers. But I really like the way this pistol feels, even if it does feel like it weighs a tonne. Now I just need to clean it and find some time to get to the range and really enjoy it

Matt

adam12

Single-Sixer
HIP SHOT said:
Oh no - you have the dreaded Red Dot on your gun :D

Enjoy. I like all 3 of mine SR1911's.

Hip Shot

I bought 2 at the same time - one was a CMD and it had the red dot sticker. What in the world is this thing about?

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
adam12 said:
HIP SHOT said:

Hip Shot

I bought 2 at the same time - one was a CMD and it had the red dot sticker. What in the world is this thing about?

The red dot means that when it was test fired that the grouping was lousy. :?

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
adam12 said:
HIP SHOT said:

Hip Shot

I believe that the dot color designates the final inspector. That is what customer service told me.

Hip Shot

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
Ruger Packer said:
adam12 said:
HIP SHOT said:

Hip Shot

The red dot means that when it was test fired that the grouping was lousy. :?

And all this time I thought it was me that was a lousy shot, and it was the guns fault this entire time.:)

tophlor

Bearcat
Congratulations on your purchase. I have the CMD model and Love it. It is the second most accurate gun I own. The most accurate being a Performance Center 686 Competitor.
Ruger build quality into this gun and should stand proud for the performance that they produced. Several people at my gun club have them and everyone sings the praise of the accuracy and quality of build.

Gunner4640

Bearcat
Yep I got my 2nd Ruger 1911 to, I made a bad mistake by not buying the 5" in the first place. I already had the commander. I saw a great looking Thompson 1911 custom so I bought it 3 weeks ago shot 100 rounds and had so many FTF's I sold it the other day and got my Ruger 1911 5"
so I now have what I call a matched set.. I know i's not matched but they sure do look good together. Sorry I dont know why the image is not working??

file.php

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have a matched set also. I pulled off the dot and the labels on the mags that the gun will fire with the mags out and stuck them in the box. I always though S&W and others should have put the label on for guns that won't fire with the mag out.

My first SR1911 I've modified with a compensator and a Burris Fast Fire Red Dot. Then, last week I won another 5" SR1911 at a gun bash so now I'm back to having a SR1911 and a SR1911CMD. My 1911 stable is now 3 SR1911's, a ParaOrdnance Expert Carry (3" bbl), a Taurus PT1911, and a RIA Gov't model that has been fixed up.

Here they are, less the newest member of the family (being shipped to me this week).

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
So after 3 weeks in Ohio and and a week back at work, I finally got a couple of days off and decided I would go to the range and run some rounds through the SR1911. Before going to the range I did dissemble, clean and lubricate the pistol. I picked up some Federal ball ammo 230gr. Te first 3 magazines were kind of rough, every couple of rounds with the slide would fail to go forward all of the way and would need a little nudge to go into battery. This was with both magazines. Rather than get upset I decided to try to work through it and see of it would clear up. Sure enough by the by the 4th magazine it cleared up and I could put all rounds down range very rapidly and in about a 3" circle at 15 yds. I was consistently low and right about 2 inches from the center ring. I won't blame the pistol tough because I am left eye dominant shooting right handed. I am sure in a much better shooter it would be dead on accurate. It as been about 20 years since I shot a 1911 and forgot how little kick there is even with 230gr bullets. Very Happy with my pistol

matt

tophlor

Bearcat
I have owned my CMD for a year now and it is one of the best shooters I have. I routinely shoot one ragged hole at 30 feet because the trigger is so sweet. Love this gun!

I have a friend who has the Les Baer mid level model and I don't shoot any better with it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
tophlor said:
I have owned my CMD for a year now and it is one of the best shooters I have. I routinely shoot one ragged hole at 30 feet because the trigger is so sweet. Love this gun!

I have a friend who has the Les Baer mid level model and I don't shoot any better with it.

That's because you've reached the limits of YOUR ABILITY .... not because the guns are equally accurate.

REV

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
revhigh said:
tophlor said:

That's because you've reached the limits of YOUR ABILITY .... not because the guns are equally accurate.

REV

But Rev, they ARE equally accurate based on his ability. So spending extra for Les Baer is a waste of money. 8)

revhigh

Hawkeye
Agreed ... He was shooting a friends gun ... Not considering buying one from what I understood.

REV