Fielding newbie questions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Another thread, w/ some sorta edgy comments about new guys, ignorance, etc., got me thinking:

How's the best way to answer a question for help, recipes, and such when they come up?

Methinks we make too many assumptions about the person asking the question when so many times we don't even know him. Should we hold off on our advice until we've asked him about his level of experience before answering? Or should the person asking the question add a little of his own background info?

For example, one of these days I'm likely to have a question about loading the .40 S&W. Now, I've never loaded that caliber, so I'll be a "newbie" to it. But some of you know I've already worked my way up to "rank amateur" after loading about a quarter million other rounds, which STILL leaves me as kind of a newbie to those of you who've loaded that volume several times over. So my question isn't likely to be the same as asked by one who's never assembled a single round of anything. How should I present myself so I don't get just the all too usual and unhelpful "RTFM" comments? Or should someone just ask "Hey, Rick, what have you ever loaded before?" prior to jumping all over question I ask?

Seems to me, we're all in this together, and sharing info is part of "the sport" but we should remember there are a LOT of ways to do most things in the reloading world so there's no need to get on our high horse about "My way's best and yours is never gonna work." For myself, I learn something new every time I sit down at the bench, and kinda think anyone who doesn't is probably not paying enough attention. We've all got an investment in helping each new reloader produce safe, reliable and accurate ammo: he might be shooting in the lane beside us on our next trip to the range, ya know?

So if we can do that sharing in a little less confrontational manner it seems a good thing to me. Any suggestions on how to do it easily and effectively?

Rick C

okie44

Single-Sixer
You are correct about more than one way to skin a cat. What works for me is all wrong for someone else! There are a few folks around that have no clue how to be nice, only here to stir the pot or try to make themselves feel good by trying to belittle someone else. Good Post! :D

contender

Ruger Guru
I have found that by not assuming anything,, I offer advice as if the person was new to things & if I get a reply,,, it usually helps me get a better handle on their experience.
Always try & be nice & helpful. It goes a long way.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Rick, it's a good set of questions. Preaching about details not specific to the question is pretty lame. Answer the question(s) asked or don't but please don't preach. It's disgusting and makes the one doing it look like a know it all pompous-ass scared of his shadow. I'd hope and expect people here to use some sense.

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
My Grandmother always said, "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all !" I may not completely understand why a member asks a specific question, but all in all I try to put forth an effort to be friendly & helpful ! There is really no need for or place for sarcasm when replying to an honest question in a post ! If you don't like the question, just do not reply, rather than throwing around hurtful or ignorant replies or suggestions ! We should all realize that we are members of a much maligned group, who gather here for camaraderie & fellowship with like minded "friends", who should all be dedicated to our common cause, & common good ! There should be "no place" for sarcasm or insults in our correspondences. If you have anger issues, or hateful tendencies, focus them on our common enemies, not on our like thinking buddies here !!! If you think a question is stupid, & don't have a civil answer, then by all means, feel free to "Not Answer" the post !! In plain words, "If you don't have anything nice to say, then feel free to not say anything at all !!!!!!!"

JMHO
Jim

I find it difficult to accept that there are folks who developed an interest in firearms later in life than myself but I'm trying to be less of a "Snidely Whiplash".

stevemb

Hunter
I've been seeing an increasing number of snippy replies to questions. Play nice folks. stevemb

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Here in the South you can say almost anything you want about someone, without offense, by simply prefacing, or ending the comment with "bless his/her heart". Perhaps this would work?

Seriously, I have no problem with strong opinions. I do have a problem with how these opinions are sometimes put forth. I have also seen a lot of misunderstandings because someone was trying to be funny, or did not realize how their post would come across. The written word lacks some of the subtleties of the spoken word, and missteps occur.

I always read a post over at least once, to catch grammatical errors. I try and catch the sense of how the post would come across. I don't always succeed in both areas, but I often rethink the wisdom of hitting the submit button. My motto is, when in doubt, delete it.

I also try and give another poster the benefit of the doubt on his or her intent. Goodness knows I have had a few of my posts get through that I wish hadn't.

mikld

Blackhawk
I will only address questions where I know something about the subject (I won't answer any questions about .40 S&W for example). I usually answer as if the OP has very little experience reloading and keep to basics, besides, if one has 10,000 rounds of 45 ACP under his belt he prolly won't be asking too many questions about reloading another semi-auto cartridge, but I try to make no assumptions. Having said that, 90% of questions asked are usually answered in a reloading manual.

I think a lot of the "snippy" answers come from those of us that aren't into the "instant response" group/generation. So many folks today can't/won't research or read about anything (even stickies) because it so much easier to google something, or just type a question on a forum and get an answer in 32.7 seconds (I have seen two questions, about the very same subject, by two different posters, right next to each other on forums, someone didn't even bother to check the current threads!). And that can irritate forum members resulting in "just read the manual" type answers...

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
The flavor of your response to any post tells the world what kind of person you are.

The content of your response (whether you answer the text of the post or answer an implied question or provide what (even unasked) what the O.P. needs speaks to your qualifications.

How do you want to show yourself? That is, what kind of person do you want to be?

Let me illustrate: To a simple question that should be answered by the inquirer's own research, it may be appropriate to answer the question straightaway. But it may be more appropriate to also (or even instead) answer the implied question, "How do I research this kind of question?"

If you do it with kindness and wisdom it is worth the bandwidth. If not, not so much (Not that a swift kick in the pants is not the kind thing to do, but this is rare, especially on the internet.)

One other thought on a related subject:

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." may translate as "Give a man a load recipe and you arm him. Give him the principles of load workup and you improve him."

So, do you give what is asked, or give what is needed?

Thanks for reading.

Lost Sheep

anachronism

Single-Sixer
Do remember that many people don't do well composing a sensitive, concerned response to a perceived lack of judgement on the part of another poster. This is partly because of the single dimension of the written word in our language. If others are bothered by such a response, there is a little red exclamation mark in the lower right corner of each post. This brings the post to the attention of the moderators, and they have the tools to deal with the situation.

mikld

Blackhawk
I think it's best to answer a post by what the OP asks, not what I think he needs to know. I've posted questions on forums and quite often get responses about things that are just remotely related to my question, at best, and of very little use to me. From the questioner's side, that can (and for me does) get irritating. If I ask a question on optimal bullet to bore fit for jacketed bullets, I really don't need cast bullet sizing info., which was my last question on another forum...

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
mikld said:
I think it's best to answer a post by what the OP asks, not what I think he needs to know. I've posted questions on forums and quite often get responses about things that are just remotely related to my question, at best, and of very little use to me. From the questioner's side, that can (and for me does) get irritating. If I ask a question on optimal bullet to bore fit for jacketed bullets, I really don't need cast bullet sizing info., which was my last question on another forum...
I agree with you in general, but use my judgement when reading the original question. If it is vague or reveals a misunderstanding, I ad lib or probe the questioner. I believe in serving the need as well as the request.

But I always answer the specific question, too, if possible.

Lost Sheep

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Lost Sheep said:
I agree with you in general, but use my judgement when reading the original question. If it is vague or reveals a misunderstanding, I ad lib or probe the questioner. I believe in serving the need as well as the request.

Hi,

You guys have lots of good thoughts about my original question, and, as w/ so many things in life, there are often several ways to approach these "problems" if that's even the right word. Many of you have said things that really hadn't crossed my own mind... a true testament to the "Two heads is better than one" adage.

One thing I always like about Lost Sheep's posts is he's got a much better command of the language than I do: I use up a lot of words, he SAYS more w/ his! ;) And these few above seem to me a reasonable starting point for my own answers to some of these questions.

Thanks to all, and especially to LS for this particular idea!

Rick C

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
You are most welcome Rick C. Though I disagree with you about my economy of words. I find myself often with longer posts than I want. The one you like is obviously an exception.

Lost Sheep