Fiber optic front sights on MK 3 Hunter models good or bad?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jazzpicker

Bearcat
I like the mark III hunter model pistols but dislike the look of the new fiber optic front sights. Looks like a red jellybean on the pistol. I guess it's just my problem but I believe a sturdy front sight should be made of steel. I suppose you can see the front sight better and it may be more accurate than regular adjustable sights but I'm sure that I'd not be satisfied looking at the plastic sight on the end of my pistol.

Has anyone had much experience shooting with these sights? Am I wrong about my impression?

More steel the better!!

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, as an aging shooter,, and a serious competitor,, I can say I truly enjoy the fiber optic sights. Plus,, I teach NRA Women On Target clinics,, and MOST of the ladies LOVE the fibers on the MKII & MKIII we use. All our shooter 22 autos around here that have fibers available,, use them. But,, I also understand some folks enjoy the black on black of steel sights. It comes down to what YOU prefer.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I'm "old" (63) and I love the Hi-Viz front sight on my hunter I bought last September. I had a BSA green dot on- but since most of my shooting is at 10 meters, I took it back off, prefering the Hi-Viz.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Personally, I despise them. While they may work great for those with aging eyes you cannot do the fine work with them that you can with a good black post. I think they are a marketing ploy for the most part. I prefer my sights to be all black.