Feel of Single Action Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pappyd

Bearcat
Confession: I have never shot a single-action revolver. I have had a GP100 and SP101 (and an Ex-wife), so those are now gone. Now I have and shoot a Service Six, LCR, and a Dan Wesson Model 15. All of my experience is with double-action revolvers. I keep going into the gun shop and fondling the Single-Ten and Vaquero, but I just cannot get comfortable with the grip angle.

The grip angles on single-actions seem so different from double-actions that I'm not sure I can adjust at my advanced age. My question is, do I need to shoot a single-action to learn to love one or is this something I will never get comfortable with if it just doesn't feel right in the store?

Curley Red

Bearcat
I love shooting my single actions, sometimes more than my semi auto's. It is a different feel, but there is just something I really like about my Vaquero's. It might be that it makes me think about western days of cowboys and indians, not really sure what it is but I love it.

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
Next time you're at your favorite LGS try a Ruger Bisley grip, it gives the single action a double action feel but retains all of the single actions charm and durability.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

One thing to remember is the basic shape of a Ruger single action revolver grip goes back about 160 years to the Colt Navy revolver of 1851. There have been some minor changes along the way, but most Ruger single action grips mimic the Colt Single Action Army grip, which itself is the same as the old 1851 Navy grip.

Another thing to remember is that the old 1851 Navy grip was not really meant to have your entire hand crammed onto it. I'm reading between the lines here, but I'll bet you are trying to cram your entire hand onto the grip. I really don't think Wild Bill's hands were any smaller than ours are today. I'll bet you dollars to donuts, Wild Bill curled his pinky under the grip, I'll bet he did not try to cram his entire hand onto the grip.

Another thing to think about, is to forget everything your old DI taught you about keeping your grip as high as possible on the gun. These ain't semi-autos. With most semi-autos it is not physically possible to get your middle finger behind the trigger guard. With a single action revolver it is, and if you cram your entire hand onto the grip so that your middle finger is touching the trigger guard, when you start shooting some heavy recoiling loads your knuckle is going to get whacked by the trigger guard and it is going to hurt.

I ALWAYS curl my pinky under the grip of my single actions, Ruger, Colt, Uberti, S&W, what ever. Curling my pinky under the grip allows me to shift down on the grip. The key here is, rather than trying to hold as high as possible on the gun, by shifting down a bit I open up about 1/4" of space between the rear of the trigger guard and the knuckle of my middle finger. The 1/4" of space means the trigger guard never whacks my knuckle, no matter how heavy the load.

Lastly, don't try and hold it with a death grip. Allow the grip to rotate slightly in your hand with recoil. That's what it is supposed to do. That's why it has such a nice curve. When gun manufacturers started putting that hump on the grip behind the hammer, it was supposed to prevent the grip from rotating in your hand. Let the grip rotate. It will bring the hammer spur closer to your thumb and make it easier to cock the hammer for the next shot. It ain't gonna make much difference with a Single Six, but when you try shooting a Vaquero chambered for 45 Colt it will make a world of difference.

The Ruger Bisley grip is only an approximation of what the original Colt Bisley grip looked like. It is more straight up and down than the original, and it is longer. Those who like to cram their entire hand onto the grip like the longer Ruger Bisley grip, but you will still have your knuckle hard against the trigger guard and it will probably hurt if you try shooting heavy recoiling loads.

Try my suggestions and see if you like it a little bit better. I can shoot full power Black Powder 45 Colt loads our of a Colt, clone, or Ruger all day long and it is very comfortable.

Of course, I have been shooting single action revolvers for over 40 years, so that may have something to do with it.

Rclark

Hunter
do I need to shoot a single-action to learn to love one
You do have to shoot 'em to appreciate the o' plow handle grip. And yes, it may take a few shots to get used to it.... at least that is what I hear :) . Of course, what do I know.... I started with SA revolvers as a kid with a cap gun, then on to .22 and... and so on.... :) . That said, I have no trouble transitioning to funny looking grips like S&W, SP-101, Redhawk, or my .44Spec Bulldog. All seem to work ok.... just different... But a SA settling into the palm definitely feels 'right' ... ahhhh....

Try DJs suggestions above. Again, I think you do have to shoot them, to get a feel for them and you are never to old to try something new :) .

pappyd

Bearcat
That's a great post Driftwood. You've perfectly described what I've been doing, as I usually shoot semi-autos and have been trying the same "firm, high grip" on the single-actions. That is great information. I will give it a shot.

caryc

Hawkeye
Driftwood Johnson said:
I'll bet you dollars to donuts, Wild Bill curled his pinky under the grip, I'll bet he did not try to cram his entire hand onto the grip.

This may surprise you but being a grip maker, I'd say that 95% of my customers order their grips with flat bottoms.

This tells me that they don't curl their pinky finger under the grip. If would be awful uncomfortable if they did.

dougader

Hunter
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
Next time you're at your favorite LGS try a Ruger Bisley grip, it gives the single action a double action feel but retains all of the single actions charm and durability.

This is what I was going to suggest. I remember when I first started looking at SA revolvers to see what all the fuss was about. I just didn't like the way the grips fit in my hand. Then I shot my brother-in-law's Super Blackhawk with a 5.5" barrel. No thank you was all I said to that.

Then I was walking through a gun show and saw a Bisley. I picked it up and it fit my hand really well. But I didn't like the 7-1/2" barrel. I kept putting of the purchase because I knew I was going to have to pay a gunsmith to cut and crown the barrel.

Then the AccuSport 5-1/2" stainless Bisleys came out. I was hooked. Its still my favorite revolver. Not everyone likes the Bisley gripframe, but for me it was a dream come true.

Since then I have picked up SA revolvers with the "regular" SAA gripframe, and the birdshead gripframe, and I am ok with them as long as it's not a gun that recoils heavily. For anything 44 mag'ish and up, I have to have the Bilsey.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I "curled my pinky" under the grip one time. One shot and only one shot.

Nevermore.

No way.

The pain was tremendous so I grabbed my head......... (for you Bill Cosby fans).

flatgate

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
This may surprise you but being a grip maker, I'd say that 95% of my customers order their grips with flat bottoms.

This tells me that they don't curl their pinky finger under the grip. If would be awful uncomfortable if they did.

Maybe so, but I'll bet most of them have not tried my technique. If they did, they would ask for the beveled bottom grips.

caryc

Hawkeye
Driftwood Johnson said:

Maybe so, but I'll bet most of them have not tried my technique. If they did, they would ask for the beveled bottom grips.

So, you actually think they would switch to flat bottomed grips without even trying the pinky under hold?

When people order grips from me, I ask them about how they shoot and their hold on the gun. Believe me, the pinky finger under is not the favored grip of experienced long time shooters, no matter how much you think it is.

Who would be in a better position to hear what people prefer other than a grip maker?

Hugh

Buckeye
Thank you for that bit of information Cary. When I am holding my New Model Blackhawks the front end of the butt takes up about 2/3 of the width of my little finger; it is kinda awkward to hold with my pinky under the butt.

Pappy I was never very interested in SA revolvers until just about three years ago. I have been shooting double actions most of my life; cocking the hammer and shooting single action. Rarely do I shoot double action. The only adjustment I had to make when I bought my first SA was the shape of the grip.

bogus bill

Hunter
You dont put your pinky under the bottom of the grip shooting off the bench. Seems to me you would be alright any other way. Been there done that, got the shirt!

caryc

Hawkeye
Hugh said:
Thank you for that bit of information Cary. When I am holding my New Model Blackhawks the front end of the butt takes up about 2/3 of the width of my little finger; it is kinda awkward to hold with my pinky under the butt.

Pappy I was never very interested in SA revolvers until just about three years ago. I have been shooting double actions most of my life; cocking the hammer and shooting single action. Rarely do I shoot double action. The only adjustment I had to make when I bought my first SA was the shape of the grip.

That's why people like the flat bottom grips. It gives one the little bit of extra room for the pinky finger.

One more thing. Lots of shooters even with beveled bottom grips who shoot with all their fingers on the grips feel that they can't control the gun. Most of the time its due to the being thin at the top with all that flair at the bottom. It just kind of naturally wants to "squirt" out of their grip with the recoil. My grips are thicker around where the middle finger is to give one more control.

The gun can still roll back as it was designed to do, but you have more control of the gun.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Not everybody has to like to shoot a single action, or a double action, or semi auto as far as that goes. I like the look of my Redhawk but hated the grip. Tried couple different rubber style grips and still no go. Now a single action feels at home in my hand. A 1911 type semi auto feels at home in my hand. A double action feels strange :) I would like to try a GP or an SP at some time but if it doesn't feel right I have enough single actions I wont feel left out in any way.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
You dont put your pinky under the bottom of the grip shooting off the bench. Seems to me you would be alright any other way. Been there done that, got the shirt!

Well, sorry to disagree, but I do. I usually balance my wrists on sand bags and hold the gun in front of the sandbags. That way when the gun recoils my pinky does not get mashed.

I'm sure if I was shooting the monster loads that Flatgate does I would probably think twice about my pinky under the grip. But lets face facts, I strongly suspect that 90% or so of the shooters here do not shoot that kind of monster loads.

For full power 45 Colt loads or standard SAMMI 357 Mag loads, the pinky under the grip is fine. My 45 Colt loads usually shove a 250 grain bullet somewhere around 800 fps. Not magnum stuff, but it was the standard 130 years ago. It was strong enough to put down a man with one shot, and could even stop a horse if well placed. Recoil usually rolls the gun back in my hand, and then the pinky arrests the roll, so the gun then lifts my hand and forearm up a few degrees. It does not hurt, and the gun is completely in control. It does not jump out of my hand unless my hands are slippery with Ballistol. So I don't shoot with slippery hands, nobody should.

I developed this technique after watching cowboy shooters complain for years about their knuckles being bashed by recoil. That's why the 1/4" of air space. Maybe I did not invent it, but that's what I do. I can shoot my Colts or Rugers that way all day long, no bashed knuckles, no hurt pinkys, no guns jumping out of my hand. Yes, one hand not two.

Try it, you might like it.

If I ever buy a 44 Mag single action revolver I may try cramming my entire hand onto the grip. But for 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 44-40, and 44 Special it works fine.

s4s4u

Hunter
I have the Bisley on all my SA's, because it has a similar feel to the GP/SRH grip. The traditional grip I could never get used to.

gak

Buckeye
Cary, I don't doubt it and have heard the same from Carl, though the % surprises me as it seems responses on RF seem to run closer to 50/50 when this subject somes up. (Time for a poll?) In fact I exhort anyone to definitely note their specific preference with their grip maker as I gather flat bottom these days is the default if nothing's said, and if you're a pinky under type, you may or may not get the bevel--likely not.

That said, definitely beveled bottom for me--pinky under for 40+ years. Hands are small enough that I can go "full grip" if inclined to--loads or whatever. Stock (and online store) Ruger grips continue with the "Colt bevel," perhaps a traditional carry-over but I seldom hear any complaints (as a user, not maker) *about that aspect.*

Another thing to remember is that the original Colt grip WASN'T meant for the kind of precision aiming that we tend to do now. We now tend to treat handguns as if they were "really short rifles," and, in some of our cases, use them to replace rifles in hunting.

Originally they were thought of as "really long swords," and used that way. So the Colt grip is a point and shoot affair, and still works great for that (have a look at the "sights" on a Navy Colt and you'll see what I mean. Now imagine you are on a horse and in the middle of an ambush or some other melee. Just how precise is your aiming gonna be?).

The famously uncomfortable original Colt Bisley grip was intended for uses much more like what most of us use a handgun for, and it works well enough for that. The Ruger Bisley grip is a Keith-inspired modification of that and works even better, especially on heavy-recoiling revolvers.

BTW, if you are shooting for precision, not "chain-lightning quickdraw" speed, WHY aren't you shooting with a two-handed grip? That's what I was taught (back when it was new and all the older NCOs shook their heads at it--"UNNATURAL--NEVER CATCH ON") and have used for the subsequent 45+ years. I allows your hands to adapt to almost any grip effortlessly. Try it. About the only handgun that doesn't feel OK with a two-handed grip is my brother's Browning Baby .25, a mousegun that is apparently only shootable BY mice.

(BTW, I have NO IDEA where my little fingers go when I shoot a handgun....somewhere in that pile of ten cupping the grip?).

Latest posts