Feeding the 1911: Magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
A topic that's probably discussed more often than any other, and a question that's usually asked more. "Which magazine is best?"

The 1911 has earned a reputation in many circles for being a "finicky" feeder, often requiring just the right combination of magazine and ammunition in order to be reliable. I first heard of it about 30 years ago, and I was a little puzzled. I wondered what had happened. I'd never known the pistol to be fussy about ammunition, other than the occasional burp with certain hollowpoints. Namely, the old Hydra Shok ™ and Speer's 200-grain "Flying Ashtray" and both of those were doable by opening up the barrel ramp...or "throat" as it's become incorrectly called.

In the dear, dead days before its resurgence in popularity, the only magazines available were the same ones that had been designed by John Browning and Colt's Dream Team of top engineers...and those magazines that came in the box with Colt's pistols up until the early 80s all worked in pistols dating from 1912 forward. They often required modification to the lips in order to feed the semiwadcutters preferred by Bullseye competitors, but all that consisted of was forming a timed release point. Behind the release, they functioned exactly the same...modified or not. At one time...when I was doin' the job...I had the die and anvil set to modify the Hardball feed lips for the guys who wanted to use SWC ammunition, and the recent arrival of hollowpoints when needed...and they didn't always need it.

Then, around 1982 or 83....Colt made the tool obsolete when they quietly modified the feed lip design and gave us what I came refer to as the "Hybrid" feed lips. They combined the gradual, controlled rise of the hardball magazine with the earlier release point of the Bullseye/SWC modification, and their magazines worked well across the board with all sorts of ammunition as long as the proper barrel ramp cut was included.

Incidentally, that "throated" ramp came about because of SWC bullets...not hollowpoints. More on that later.

Then, just a few years later...the 1911 became finicky, and my response was: "Now what?"

I noticed that some of the aftermarket magazines had different feed lips. The taper so carefully worked out by the genius was gone...and the complaints rose. Many people lamented the feed angle, stating that what was needed was a straight approach to the chamber. The problem with that was that a straight shot into the chamber was hard to arrange because it would force the extractor to climb over the case rim...and that was a no-no. The rim had to get behind the extractor from underneath.

Then they started working to make the feed angle less abrupt by trying to place the round as high as possible in the feeding position and radiusing the bottom corner of the extractor claw for clearance. Then came mirror polishing the feed ramp and rounding the top corner of the barrel ramp, which...if taken too far...resulted in the case being unsupported.

All in order to reduce the feed angle and get the pistols to run. One noted pistol smith/builder/marketer of high end semi- customs made the statement that the toughest bullet profile to get a 1911 reliably feed with was...are you sitting down...hardball. I was like...lolWUT?

So, now the problem was the acute angle of approach after bouncing off the feed ramp, and the lament that this angle made the 1911 finicky and it required the attentions of a skilled smith before it could ever be reliable enough for serious business.

Study the picture below. It illustrates the difference between the parallel feed lips and the tapered feed lips, and the positioning of the cartridge just before the final release point...and we come to understand that Browning was well aware of the angle and the potential problems associated with it...and we can see that the solution was there all along if someone had just taken the time to look at it.

And finally someone did. Either that, or it's proof that some of these folks do surf the forums and are open to suggestions. It's come to my attention that the same renowned smith/builder/marketer has started offering his flagship magazines with...tapered feed lips and a timed release point.

Look and learn. This is the way that the 1911 is supposed to feed...with the rim under the extractor before the magazine releases it. Smooth, controlled feed with a low angle into the chamber. Browning really did have the answer.

It's ironic...and a little amusing...that everyone pretty well accepts that the 1911 has to closely adhere to spec in order to function reliably...but somehow feel that doesn't apply to the magazine, and that they can modify part of the system without consequence. Controlled feed is a system, and the magazine is part of that system. A firearms design genius...along with a team of very sharp engineers...worked the bugs out of that system over a hundred years ago.

Study it, and think carefully about what you're seeing.

Feedlips.jpg

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
No questions?

Well, a'ight!

The next study on feedin' Johnny's Toy will address the extractor's role...specifically the extractor's tension and deflection...which has caused no end of cussin' and discussin' and headaches aplenty.

Stay tuned! (Pun intended)

Rusty W

Single-Sixer
I have a question... What have I got??? I purchased these mags about 10 years ago. They were in a bunch of reloading stuff I purchased from a guy getting out of shooting, for undisclosed reasons. I think it had something to do w/a wild woman and the police but I didn't ask too many questions. Any way, back on topic. I'm fairly new to the 1911. I've always shot wheelguns because I hated chasing brass. I'm a reloader/handloader and a brass rat. I purchased a SR1911 from a guy on the forum, Thanks Scott :) it's running great. I had it transferred to a shop & on the way to pick it up I stopped at another shop to look around. They had a Commander on the shelf & well, I couldn't just let it sit there all alone, it came home w/me too. I got them home, made a chamber cast just because I'm a tinker'er & started working up some loads. I started w/the Lyman 452460 & started seating the bullet until it fit the chamber, turns out it's OAL is 1.16. I have to get the front band on the bullet flush w/the casemouth or it won't chamber, no problems, just the way it is on these 2 Rugers. I also have a Ballisticast #634 round nose. It has a step on the driving band when it's sized & lubed & it also has to be flush w/the casemouth, again no prob, just the way it is. I also cast a Mihec 453-200hp & it has no step but a smooth transition from shoulder to driving band. It also has to be flush w/the casemouth. I've shot about 45 pounds of the 3 different styles in both the factory Ruger mags and whatever brand of mags these are. None have missed a beat, they just keep on eating them up & spitting them out. Sorry for the poor pics, they're from a cheap cell phone.

revhigh

Hawkeye
As I've been saying ... You don't need $35 mags to run in a 1911 .... Any old true to spec mag should be just fine .... The more worn and beat up, the better .... That usually just means its worked perfectly for many, many years. I buy every beat up 1911 mag I can find for a dollar or two.

REV

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Rusty...those are Metalforms with their patented round-top follower. I got a half-dozen of those followers for testing and evaluation and was...underwhelmed. They didn't adequately control the last round with full-powered ammunition and they require a proprietary spring that fits within the confines of the skirt...and the springs that they supplied were underpowered for anything more than target-level ammunition and reduced spring rates. (Slide)

The main advantage of the round follower is in masking a clocking extractor that leaves the last case in the port, crushed by the slide as illustrated by the picture below...and sometimes it doesn't always work. The real cure for this is to stabilize the extractor, and with a few pistols that have crossed my bench, it required a new slide due to the extractor channel being located too far starboard.

Rev...You keep coming back to "35 Dollar Magazines" and such. When/where did I ever say that?

Anyway...a picture is worth a thousand, so they say.

clock.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
Regarding the $35 mags ... You never said that ... A previous poster made comments that since the SR1911 was 'so reasonable', he didn't mind having to spend $35-40 on mags to make it run reliably.

That ... Of course ... Is simply absurd ...

REV

scottl

Bearcat
Rev.I agree with you I bought 2 new Springfield 45's and used the "Loaded" coupon they give you to pick up a bunch of mags for $13 ea.When I had my Para 1911 I acquired some Wilson 47D's thru a trade.The Para ran like a top on them,but here's the bad part(Wilson lovers close your eyes) neither Springfield would run on the Fail to feed and fail to lock when they did feed.Buddy of mine put them in his Colt and it ran fine.So they got sold and more Springfield mags took their place.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I guess I would add you may have to CLEAN the mags. Yes take them apart, lube and clean them. Then evaluate them.

revhigh

Hawkeye
dakota1911 said:
I guess I would add you may have to CLEAN the mags. Yes take them apart, lube and clean them. Then evaluate them.

I never cleaned a 1911 mag in my life, except to wipe it off if it fell in the mud or something.

Way too much thinking going on about mags IMO .... I just can't believe all these people have mag issues and I've never had one, and I use the cheapest, most random mags that can be, with no issues whatsoever.

REV

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
I never cleaned a 1911 mag in my life, except to wipe it off if it fell in the mud or something.

If you don't shoot much...or you never use cast bullet reloads...you should really break down your magazines periodically to inspect and clean and wipe the springs down with a lightly oiled rag. The magazine is a vital part of the system, and shouldn't be neglected.

If you do shoot a lot and/or you use cast bullet reloads...they should be disassembled and cleaned once or twice a year.

That's up to you, of course. Just advice.

. I just can't believe all these people have mag issues and I've never had one, and I use the cheapest, most random mags that can be, with no issues whatsoever.

Some people win the lottery. Most of us don't. I don't have magazine issues either, but many do, and there are too many to ignore. One man's experience with one pistol or even a few pistols doesn't mean that everybody will have the same experience.

And I keep my magazines clean. The magazine in the carry pistol is cleaned every time the pistol is, and I detail strip the pistol, whether or not I shoot it. You'd be surprised at the amount of lint and dust that can accumulate inside a gun that's carried daily...and that includes the magazine.

That may be a little anal, but my life is easily worth more than the 2 minutes it takes for me to take a magazine apart...clean it...and reassemble it.

This bears repeating.

Most of my work...since I've actually been wrenchin' on 1911 pistols...has been addressing functional issues.

I wish had a dollar for every misfeeding, delinquent 1911 that I've "fixed" by doing no more than handing the owner a few of my magazines. This includes high-end semi customs and full custom pistols as well as entry-level guns.

Of course, I've only been at this for close to a half-century...so what do I know?

revhigh

Hawkeye
I think most 1911's that require 'fixing' have probably already been 'fixed' to some degree by their owners at the kitchen table.

Of course you've 'seen it all' ... You're a 1911 smith. I'd guess that 90+% of new 1911's don't require 'fixing' out of the box. And they don't need special mags either.

Regarding cleaning 1911 mags. I shoot 10,000+ 1911 cast 200 gr SWC rounds per year ... For about the last 20 years or so, so my guns and mags get a decent workout, and none has ever required 'fixing' of any kind. I don't know any of my buddies whose 1911 required 'fixing' either.

I guess a lot of us shooters here in PA have hit the lottery. :D

I guess I should start playing the lottery for real !

REV

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Never (yet) had a magazine feeding problem , but I did have a generic welded floor plate un weld itself and scatter ammo , spring, and follower all over the floor while I was working.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Biggfoot44 said:
Never (yet) had a magazine feeding problem , but I did have a generic welded floor plate un weld itself and scatter ammo , spring, and follower all over the floor while I was working.

Yeah ... Most of my 1911 mags are welded as well ...

REV

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Rev...You keep your pistol clean, but you don't clean, inspect, and maintain your magazines?

Interesting.

And let's drop the snark, shall we. Not a good way to get help from me when you do need it.

And I'm not a gunsmith. I'm a mechanic. A fixer of things gone awry.

For those who do maintain their magazines...and you have the 7-round sticks with welded floorplates...I've got a neat trick to disassemble in 10 seconds and reassemble in about 15. They're actually much faster and easier than the ones with removeable floorplates. No push-rods required. Time has run out for the moment...but I'll come back and write it up in a bit.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Quick disassembly/reassembly technique for standard 7-round magazines with welded floorplate:

1. Load three rounds into the mag. Insert pin into 2nd witness hole. Push cartridges out, leaving spring captive.

2. Tap the top of the magazine on a wooden bench to dislodge the follower. Roll the follower out.

3. Place thumb firmly on the feed lips and pull the pin. (It won't hurt. I promise.) Remove spring, noting proper orientation.

Now is the time to wipe the inside of the tube with a cloth damp with solvent. A 6 or 8-inch hemostat and a heavy linen patch is ideal for this. Wipe follower and spring. Follow with a dry patch. Excess solvents don't work well with primers.

Wipe spring with cloth lightly dampened with oil.

Reassembly:

1. Work the spring into the tube and load three rounds directly onto the spring.

2. Depress the top round slightly with your thumb and insert pin.

3. Push cartridges out, leaving the spring captive.

4. Install the follower, pressing down with a fingertip to seat it.

5. Place thumb firmly on top of the feed lips and pull the pin. Check to make sure that the top loop of the spring is properly oriented under the follower.

Done.

After a few familiarization runs, the total time for proper magazine maintenance takes about a minute.

Precision32

Blackhawk
I've learned a lot from reading Tuner's posts on the M1911 forum. Thanks for sharing your knowledge Sir. :)

About the only fix I HAD to make to my Springer was a new FPS to prevent the extractor from clocking. That's not ALL I've changed out, but that's all it really needed. :mrgreen:

I use CheckMate SS GI mags and have never had a feed problem. As far as I can tell they meet the Ordnance drawings in every way.

revhigh

Hawkeye
1911Tuner said:
And let's drop the snark, shall we. Not a good way to get help from me when you do need it.

And I'm not a gunsmith. I'm a mechanic. A fixer of things gone awry.

Not sure I know what you mean by snark. If you were insulted because I referred to you as a smith ... I can assure you no insult was intended. I meant that you as a smith/mechanic/technician ... Whatever .... Have surely seen more 1911's than most of us, and certainly have seen and resolved more issues than the rest of us as well, since people are probably coming to you with problems that they can't resolve on their own for the most part.

No reason to be so sensitive. Since when is referring to someone as a smith or gunsmith an insult or a slight ? I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the people reading your posts would have assumed you were a 'gunsmith'. Would you mind enlightening us with what the difference is between a smith/gunsmith and 'mechanic' ?

REV

Latest posts