Votes: 5 2.0%
  • .327 Fed

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 16 6.5%

• Total voters

Snake45

Hawkeye
I voted .38/.357, but it was a photo finish with .22LR and .44Mag tied for second place and .45ACP a strong third. :wink:

The .357 and.38 Special were lumped together.

The .44 Mag and.44 Special were separate choices. Had these been lumped together as one choice, I think they'd be the winner.

I voted .44 Mag. There's lotsa cartridges that do lotsa things, but I think if I could have just one gun, (heaven forbid), this would be it. Magnums for my next meal, Specials for social occasions.

But I'm sure glad this poll is rhetorical, and I don't have to be limited to just one gun/cartridge. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

Joe S.

Hunter
Before i started reloading my choice would have been 44 mag. But now i do and i have gradually eased away from 44 caliber all together and have grown fond of the 45 Colt, which was my choice. Close second would be 38 special. Can load and shoot it as cheap as 22 almost. Hard to argue with that. I shoot 22 maybe 50-100 per year tops. I shoot many more 45 and 38 than that.

Onty

Single-Sixer
I voted 41 Magnum.

I like to shoot silhouettes, and considering required power, medium load in 41 starts where 357 ends. I just do not like to shoot high pressure loads all the time in my guns. If more power is required, like for hog and deer, 41 could be loaded, especially in Rugers, to a such level that is more than adequate.

44 Magnum? Good round, but I couldn't shoot 200 rounds in a single day. With 41 Magnum, no problem. And if 41 Magnum is not enough, I would start with one of 375s in rifle.

BTW, I had 357 Magnum, and 45 Colt. And still have 2 revolvers in 44 Magnum: 5.5 SBH converted to Bisley and 7.5 Redhawk.

Now, looking for S&W 657-3 or -4. Dreaming about 41 Magnum Bisley in stainless, with fluted cylinder and #5 cylinder pin.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I checked "other."

Its a very, very difficult question! Favorite for what purpose?

In single action revolvers, Single Six .32 H&R Mag for critters up to coyote size and general hunting/camping carry; sometimes a Blackhawk .44 Special. Also really enjoy using the SA .32 at steel plate matches, SA Division, and (usually) do quite well with it.

For ICORE and steel matches (and now USPSA), M627 with .38 Short Colt.

For bowling pins, M625 or 1911 in .45ACP.

And, of course, the venerable .22 for lots of fun too.

Yep, pretty hard to narrow it down to one favorite!

pawncop

Blackhawk
I would a 38/357 kinda guy. I see all the advantages of the other cartridges but 357 Magnum is a solid all around choice for me.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
.44 Special for me...haven't changed my mind since my first reading of Keith's epic "Sixguns" back in the early 60's. And it took another 25 years to find one...a SAA with a 5-1/2" barrel, new in the box. I put a cpl thousand 429421's backed by 7.5 gr of Unique through that gun, then gave it to my #1 son when he went off to college. One inch groups from a seated rest back in the days when I had an eagle's eyes, were no stranger...and with those old hog wallow sights too!

The "Special", and it is you've got to admit, will do anything a hand gun is capable of...in sane hands of course. But it is a handloader's proposition, and was from day one...as a superb target round, arguably the easiest of any cartridge to find a 'good' load for, as a defensive round, a hunting round in practiced hands, there is no better....the .44 Special, king of the short gun rounds.

Best Regards, Rod

5of7

Hunter
I can't vote for any of the options because my ''favorite'' cartridges changes according to what I am gonna do with the gun in the first place.

Obviously I carry a different caliber for personal protection, than I would if I were hunting deer, and another if I am target shooting.

Having said all that, I suppose I get more enjoyment out of the .44 Special and the .22 LR than any of the others, and I do have them all. 8)

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
I guess I'll follow the heard... My most often used guns are a consecutive pair of Stainless .45 LC / .45 ACP with "super" hammers and a Marlin '94 also in .45LC. Three other Blackhawks in my flock are also .45LC as well, so it must be my favorite. A while back I found a .41 mag (6 1/2") and then another OM (4 5/8") with the "super" hammer, which have now been paired with a Marlin '94 in .41 mag. I purchased a .44 special flattop and enjoy it a great deal as it has a great feel and I'll likely get another, but in the end... seems that the .45 just keeps rising to the top of the pile. Besides, they pair up well with my Marlin '95 guide guns in .450 Marlin & .45-70.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
I voted 44 Magnum. It is the first revolver I owned and the first I reloaded. Like others, I can load it mild with a 240g slug atop 5g Red Dot or 7.5g American Select or I can load a 300g Speer JSP atop 22g 300MP for a wild load.

But if I had to do it all over again, I would go with 45 Colt in a heartbeat. I've shot Iron Mike Golf's hot 45Colt loads in his Blackhawk and enjoyed it very much. And if I wanted the double action platform, I could have always bought the 4.2" Redhawk or even tracked down a 5.5" 45 Redhawk. But I do not regret my purchase.

As an aside, if there is a favorite cartridge of mine for waking up the patrons at an indoor range, it's my 500 S&W. :D

Major T

Blackhawk
I voted .44 Special. I have had some sort of .44 magnum for most of the time since the early seventies. Because of that, I just never felt the "need" for a .45LC. A lot of that time I was too busy to reload for an additional caliber. Since I have retired, I sometimes spend days at a S-I-L's ranch. I generally carry a ..44 Special Ruger Flat top, 4 3/4, SS, while doing chores like feeding, breaking ice, spot brush eradication, and etc. it carries easier than my 50th magnum - another favorite.

The special has plenty of power for anything that I might run across, from rattlesnakes, to cougar, to poachers. The normal nemesis is snakes, coyote, pigs, and porcupine. This, along with a Mini-14 and a Model 12 on my Mule can solve most anything that a gun is required to solve. The special will do good enough, even if the long guns are absent. Light, accurate, milder recoil than big brother. Just seems right. But one of the 1911s would fill the niche just as well. Ranches and single actions just go together.

Jack

19ontheslide

Bearcat
I had to vote for the .44 Special for sentimental reasons. Back when USFA was in their heyday, my father and I decided to save our pennies for a year and then place an order for a consecutively-numbered brace of revolvers, one for each of us. They were identical, 7 1/2" flat-top target model Bisleys in .44 Special. The only thing better than the day we unpacked those perfect pistols is the feeling I get when we go to the range together and shoot them side by side.

Not on your list. .45 acp. I really like it in revolvers that use moon clips, though I do prefer the S&W 1917 over the Colt 1917. And the later versions from S&W with better sights are darned good. Of course I have a Blackhawk with a .45 acp cylinder. And, I keep hearing that Charter Arms has one in the works.