Favorite Carrying Revolvers.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rodfac

Blackhawk
For revolvers there are two...around the farm here in KY, it's usually a SS Ruger Flat Top in .44 Special...accurate, with plenty of throw weight in those big Keith style slugs, it's more than enough for any chore from charging thistle tops to itinerant wood chucks.

When going to town, the big SA is just too bulky at 45 oz's.; so it's off with the Ruger and on with a Smith Model 60 sporting a three inch tube (it replaced a much loved M36, .38 Special, seen below). Hornady 158 gr. XTP's are my current fodder for this one . I really like that 3" bbl. and can shoot it almost as well as the 4-5/8" Ruger. Rod

grumpy7159

Bearcat
My most carried revolver is a model 60 pro Smith. I carry a 625PC (45acp) 0r a 627PC. I am waiting for my GP100 to get back from the shop, but that is a target gun.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Ruger FT .44 Special around the farm, horseback and woods stomping.

The S&W 642 goes to town.

I usually carry a semi auto like an LCP or PM9 around town, but would probably pack my Smith 36 if pinned down to a revolver.

Most of my revolver carry is in the woods walking or hunting. If I am carrying my .410 looking for grouse, it would be my 4" 28-2 or 696 3" 44spcl or 4" 629. If I am carrying a hunting rifle, it would probably be my 4" SP101 357 to keep the weight down. If it's revolver only, probably the 629.

Hate to be pinned down with a revolver for these choices, but the OP said revolver, so those are my choices.

pawncop

Blackhawk
I am qualified to carry a model 36 S&W as second gun and a S&W 686 2 1/2" as an off duty side arm.

Now for just plain fun my Blackhawk in .30 caliber carbine. Any of my 45 Colt revolvers.

Aw shucks, I love em' all.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
1zz5qjc.jpg

Charter 44 Spl. ..loaded with 200gr LSWCHP
This Bulldog is light ..easy to tote and has a mild bark and a heckaish bite....

GhosT said:
000_0186.jpg

SP101,
Magnaported,Crimson Trace laser grips.

Can hit hard at longer range! :wink:

Be careful! Porting can lead to bruised fingernails. :shock: :wink:

After 40 years of carrying, I've settled on my last carry guns.

One for woods walks...

DSC_0031.jpg

and one for home and concealment...
DSC_0001.jpg

If I wanted to carry 30 ounces of firepower, it would be two of the M&P340's. :)

OldePhart

Blackhawk
GhosT said:
000_0186.jpg

SP101,
Magnaported,Crimson Trace laser grips.

Can hit hard at longer range! :wink:
It's kind of funny because a ported SP-101 was really high on my list of "I might try that for carry" guns until I shot an IDPA match recently where on one of the stages we had to draw and shoot "from retention" (i.e. with gun held close against your side, just clearing the holster, as if defending yourself from an assailant almost on top of you). I was using my LC9s and even without porting being basically right on top of the blast from a 3" barrel 9mm was a bit uncomfortable...I suspect that my big 'ole belly would have been downright unhappy if the gun had been ported...and even more so if it had been a ported .357...

Just food for thought...

I'd still love to have a ported SP-101...just probably not for daily carry...

John

Dregg

Single-Sixer
I only CCW one revolver and it's a S&W model 60 snub. It's my "BUG". When I carry that, I'm also carrying another firearm.

bogus bill

Hunter
My biggest activity is riding the trails here in utah in our rzr. It`s dusty. Therefore I dont take my best BBQ type revolvers but take my cheapest beaters. Most often I take a old s&w m&p or a old HD s&w that I had coverted to .44 special many years ago.
Running around town its a old s&w model 40 in my pocket or occasionally a 3" s&w model 36 on my belt in cooler weather.

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
Bearpaw, I'm with you on the ss Speed Six 357 2&3/4" tube.
Either in Concealco IWB holster or El Paso belt holster.
After that I roll with the 1911.
Beruisis

gramps

Hawkeye
Buckeye! said:
1zz5qjc.jpg

Charter 44 Spl. ..loaded with 200gr LSWCHP
This Bulldog is light ..easy to tote and has a mild bark and a heckaish bite....
Yep, that is my trail/around the farm gun. Go to town gun is a 3 inch Sp-101 in .357 mag.
gramps

Rclark

Hunter
.44Spec Bulldog with 240g SWC for intown CC.

Woods gun is usually one of my .45 Colt revolvers. Either fixed or adjustable sights. Either large or medium frame. Whatever I am in the mood for. Open Carry of course.

bogus bill

Hunter
Above I showed the revolvers I have been carrying. I said I dont carry my BBQ guns. I have been thinking that over, fighting with myself and it dawned on me, " At 74 years old, who am I saving them for?" Guys, I think I will start packing these two occasionally
A 2 1/2" nickle python and a smith model 63-3 3" Lew Horton special "one of 300" ported, trillijon night sights and all the goodies. What cha think?

hoopp

Bearcat
I've come to the conclusion in recent years that I agree with BOGUS BILL. I have some that I want my sons and a daughter to take care of after I'm gone, but I have a particular S&W mod 27, 3.5" that I'm determined will be just worn out when I'm gone. I still hope they have something nice to say about me when they find it.