Favorite 200 gr. XTP loads for .45acp?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Hey DB, I started loading accurate self defense practice loads using that same bullet, I bought my first batch from you a couple of years back as a matter of fact. I use various factory Hornady 200 and 185gr defense loads for my .45 house guns. The best practice load I found for that particular bullet is loaded at 1.185" OAL*see note* (*I think, I'm up in Canada right now, my data's at home*) anyway, its the same as the factory 200gr XTP round overall length and 7.8gr of Power Pistol. It gets to around 1000 fps in both 1911's and a CZ97, it is very accurate. I'm low on that powder at the moment and just picked up a good amount of Blue Dot that I will test when I get home, it should work up well for me Blue Dot is a good power powder for semi-autos. I like 231/HP-38 for round nose target bullets but Power Pistol and some others get up to speed and still remain accurate in .45 ACP 's, good pin and plate loads.

Here's a PB pic, wish I had the OAL in the damn thing.

Added Note: **My thinking I believe sucks, I checked a source. It's loaded to 1.230" OAL**

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I bet when loaded to the correct pressure you could not tell the difference in a half dozen different powders with that bullet in that gun. Unless using a rest or a scope it is nearly impossible to tell the accuracy of a load in a certain handgun. It takes a whole lot of shooting to be able to tell the difference between pattern and accuracy. When I see results of accuracy tests that confirm a 2" or 3" pattern at 25 yards I wonder how much is the shooter and how much is the ammo. The same goes for tests of different guns.

What I have done is to work up loads for a certain cartridge in a pistol caliber rifle and then used those rounds in a handgun with good success.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
I bet when loaded to the correct pressure you could not tell the difference in a half dozen different powders with that bullet in that gun. Unless using a rest or a scope it is nearly impossible to tell the accuracy of a load in a certain handgun. It takes a whole lot of shooting to be able to tell the difference between pattern and accuracy. When I see results of accuracy tests that confirm a 2" or 3" pattern at 25 yards I wonder how much is the shooter and how much is the ammo. The same goes for tests of different guns.

What I have done is to work up loads for a certain cartridge in a pistol caliber rifle and then used those rounds in a handgun with good success.

I like it when you talk guns and ammo and shooting stuff.

I shoot more than almost anyone that I have ever met and I've met a lot of shooters in my life.

...but I don't base my accuracy claims from my shooting only. I chrono any likable loads for deviation and will push them to find a falloff point. I'm pretty analytical when it comes to something that becomes a pet load for me. When it comes to loading for semi-auto; factors tend to multiply and get complicated.

I really learned to load from loading 9mm rounds for target and pistol games shooting. Getting consistent results out of a pistol that is normally fired extremely fast requires consideration of slide speed and resetting of the disconnect, muzzle flip tendencies, recovery of front sight, any twist and thats after all the other things that will make a gun go bang with a reloaded round always, everytime.

I can tell the difference in most powders that I have experience with on any given load even with the same bullet at least in 9mm shot from my pistols. They feel different, in a lot of ways but I really can tell maybe it's just a sense of smell. That very last part was a joke.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
One last thing Dixieboy, if you don't have a lot of experience with Power Pistol, you will be putting on quite a light show with it. It is probably the most linear dual base powder ever made but it is some flashy stuff in a .45ACP.

dougader

Hunter
10.4 grains Blue Dot with a standard primer will get your attention. I still have some old Speer "flying ashtrays" I load thusly. About 1000 fps, and it puts on a light show as well.

dougader

Hunter
DB, Speer 14 suggests a start load of 9.5 grains BD with their 200 grain bullets. The 10.4 load I use is only 1/10th less than their listed max. Please reduce by at least 1/2 grain if you use a magnum primer.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DixieBoy said:
For the halibut, how many loads of a given caliber do you believe you've fired in a given year? I'm asking because, when I was on my quest, and money/desire/availability of components were all in alignment, I was shooting an honest 10K - 12K rounds of .45 acp per year. Each month I was ordering one more 1000 count box of my beloved Noslers, and dribs and drabs of 230 grain XTPs. Doing this for several years, and being taken under the wing of a couple of the better match shooters at my club ... I believe that this did more for my shooting than anything else I'd ever done. Another benefit of hanging with guys like those noted above: they don't look at you funny when you tell them you've put 12,000 rounds through your .45 that year. Made me feel more "normal." :lol:

Thanks for the replies. I'm open for more. - DixieBoy

Well I can tell from the rest of your reply to me and others you understand what I'm saying. On the interwebs that is an oddity in itself.

As for this part, I load and shoot a ton of 9mm by that I mean I have a 6 year old CZ75 SP-01 Custom that has well over 85,000 rounds thru it and the vast majority of those are my reloads. I have a CZ SP-01 Shadow (stock production) that has about half that thru it in 5 years and all of those but a few are mine. I also have a few other 9mm's that get shot quite a bit. As for .45ACP, it is at a far lesser pace and about 1 to 1 reloads to factory rounds. But my less is still a normal's much more. I own three fine .45ACP pistols and normally take one to the range once or twice a week and try to run at least a couple hundred through it, it keeps me thinking.

I'm a lunatic when it comes to shooting, I just get the biggest kick out of trying new stuff, guns, loads, targets and games for pesos, fun money, nothing huge.

I go out of my way to try all things that fit what I do. Different powders, new ones especially, New on market bullets are a lot of fun and I get to talk to great people that love the same stuff I do.

If you want to know why Montana Gold bullets are great, I can tell you. Or the same for SNS casting's stuff or Bayou Bullets or Berry's hollow base stuff or why an old standby Hornady is still one of the best and when it comes to backing a product there are none better, I can tell you that also.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DixieBoy said:
I do have a question for you: Have heard an awful lot about the Montana Gold bullets, as target bullets.
Pretty much all I've heard has been positive. I'd love to hear what you have to say about 'em. Thanks in
advance. - DixieBoy

Their bullets are put together just perfectly* and the price on their 9mm offerings is really outstanding when you buy in volume. I buy 7500 of their 124gr FMJ round nose at a crack and that is just one of three different 9mm I get from them. One of those 124gr RN in front of 4.9grs of WSF will knock the hell out the center of a target.

Their price on .45ACP isn't as good of a deal as the 9mm pricing but they are a very good product for that price. They now offer small sales for guys that want to try out their stuff. If you do try their stuff I guarantee you will be impressed. I use mostly their 230gr RN for .45 I have tried their HP but they are made for targets and pin/plates not SD type duty and I prefer Hornady's XTP/HAP rounds for that stuff anyway. You can get a 100 ct bag of their 230gr RN for $32 to try out.

Another interesting bullet to try is Berry's hollow base 185gr RN, it is the same size as a 230gr RN but ...fun light loads with faster powders or heavier and faster loads with medium burn powders, pretty accurate and a ball to play around with the loads for.

* I have never found a blemish on a Montana Gold bullet, never. They always weight the same lot from lot and never vary. The sizes are consistent as is the ogive placement, I really mean perfect.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Nothing personal but I would like to see anybody rate/rank several different powders for accuracy, all things being equal except the powder, by shooting a pistol offhand at say 25 yards. From what I have seen there may be as little as 1/4" or less difference in the pattern size. That is not to say there wouldn't be a different 'feel' to some of them. Good luck with finding that one load that shoots like a laser in your gun. :D

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
Nothing personal but I would like to see anybody rate/rank several different powders for accuracy, all things being equal except the powder, by shooting a pistol offhand at say 25 yards. From what I have seen there may be as little as 1/4" or less difference in the pattern size. That is not to say there wouldn't be a different 'feel' to some of them. Good luck with finding that one load that shoots like a laser in your gun. :D

Jimbo, I'll only speak on 9mm for the moment.

There are 3 typical bullet weights for 9mm, I use 6 different weights 115/122/124or125/135/147/160.

There are so many bullet profile and types for 9mm it would make your head spin. I regularly use 12 different bullet types and play around with dozens more.

I use WSF for about 5 of my loads in 9mm. I use HP38/231 for 4 different loads. I now use CFE pistol for 3 different loads. I use AA#7 for 2 loads. Longshot for 2 loads and Power pistol for the rest (about 5). I have tried about 10 other powders just for 9mm, some for years but ended switching based on my feelings and findings.

...and I keep looking for more and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Like I said, I look at what appears to be a likeable load and will later chrono batches to really shakeout any deviations that are unexceptable to me.

I can tell you I really try to get every bit out of a load, not just the bullet but get both the OAL and the amount of powder just the right to make that bullet sing the same time after time.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I recommended Power Pistol under the 200g XTP due to Power Pistol's superb accuracy potential.
I suggest its "fireball" is overstated (I own my own range, and have done extensive night testing. I admit PP offers "flash", but its affect on follow-up shots is over-emphasized.
I also admit to using other powders in manufacturing for extreme-velocity 45 ACP loads :shock: ).