Factory Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
myco4you said:
Why do some Ruger grips have an XR cut into the back of the panels?

Those were a different vendor than Ruger had used previously.
I believe the grips before were all by Lett. Then when Lett quit the business they went with a different maker...forget who that was now, but not long after that Ruger went to laminate grips throughout.
Chet15

Hondo44

Hawkeye
One can only speculate, but most all Ruger grip founders marks cast into them include an XR. Lett or which ever grips they are, likely marked them that way for easy indentification as Ruger grips in their plant w/o having to laser cut the whole Ruger name on them to quickly differentiate them from grips made for Colts and other single actions.

chet15

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
One can only speculate, but most all Ruger grip founders marks cast into them include an XR. Lett likely marked them that way for easy indentification as Ruger grips in their plant w/o having to laser cut the whole Ruger name on them to quickly differentiate them from grips made for Colts and other single actions.

I don't think Lett did those panels. They are very un-"Lett-like" with their much thicker, bulkier profile.
Hogue did the simulated ivory panels that were put on the Super Blackhawk Alaska commemorative (which didn't fit worth a hoot!!) and Altamont has also done some Ruger panels. I think the wood panels with the XR on the backside were done by Altamont, but don't quote me on that.
Chet15

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Altamont made the grips with the XR cut. Early production single action grips by Altamont were made of solid wood. Until 2014 they also produced custom order grips from solid wood including Cocobolo. I was never able to get an answer why they dropped the line.