Factory Brass Frame .30 Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mcgivern

Bearcat
In my 51 years of Ruger collecting, I have never seen a documented factory brass frame .30 carbine. It's been raining all day so I have been looking through old Gun Digest books. In the 1977 issue, there is an article on Ruger rarities and on page 75 there is a picture of a brass frame .30 carbine. What gives? Could there really be one (or more) out there?
Don

BlkHawk73

Hunter
With Ruger, anything is certainly possible. The knowing ones will be better help.

BKH-31B Known S/N 50-18400. Note: Even though this revolver is pictured in a factory photograph with a brass frame installed , factory records state it was shipped without a brass grip frame. Production of the BKH-31 was reportedly "suspended" before brass grip frames were offered on Ruger's "Blackhawk" line of revolvers.

Info in the RENE PRICELESS.
Jim

Axehandle

Buckeye
You can do like I did... Make one! Hunt up a MR3-DB and put it on your 30 Carbine Blackhawk... I'd post a pic but I can't get to them from here...

Axehandle

Buckeye
I'll second that RENE thought.... You guys that don't subscribe and like to fool with Rugers are missing the boat! Heck I have to put the entire document in plastic to keep the coffee, Hoppe's, and drool off the pages... The 4th revision of the RENE reference is due any day now.... Finally sent a few bucks to cover mine...

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I don't have a brass gripframe but I have a 30 carbine ruger that I really like now. It's a cal that ruger doesn't see fit to offer in a 4 5/8" bbl which is my favorite length. Well give a redneck a gun and he will make what he wants. I now have a 4 5/8" 30 carbine that is a great shooting pistol just like I wanted it. I have everything ruger makes in the 4 5/8" single action plus 1 that they don't. I also cut off a 44 super blackhawk but it had the warning on the side so I cut it to 5" that's where the writing started and I didn't want to cut into it. I already have the 4 5/8" with the round trigger guard in 44 mag now I have a 5" square backed gripframe 44 mag.

street

Hunter
To date, no one has a Blackhawk in .30 Cal. that letters with a Brass Frame. As said before "WITH RUGER YOU CAN'T BE SURE". If any one comes up with one you would get a pretty penny for it. There is only a hand full of collectors that have a complete set of Factory Brass Frames, not counting the one and only 6 1/2 in. Super Blackhawk Non-prefix Brass Frame Gun that Hank Williams Jr. has. So if some one comes up with a 30 Cal., those hand full of collectors would be fighting over it. Sure would be fun to watch :lol: :lol: :lol:

41 nut

Bearcat
In 1972 Ruger sent out their Publicity Packet to gun writters. Included in that packet was a photo of a brass framed 30 carbine and a photo of a short barrelled 41 mag with brass grip frame. Ruger has told me that neither of the shown revolvers were shipped with brass grip frames. I have personally checked out with Ruger several brass 30 carbines that the owners swore they bought new that way. Ruger has yet to verafy a 30 carbine as having been shipped with brass grip frame. The 1972 catalog shows all Blackhawks except for the convertables and 30 carbing as being availiable with a brass grip frame.

Axehandle

Buckeye
Here is my personal homemede Carbine brassie! :D
0052-1.jpg

Rhyno

Bearcat
Good afternoon all. I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I just received this Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine today. I bought it off consignment out of another province (I'm Canadian, don't hate me) so I wasn't able to actually look it other than the photos on the website which weren't that great to begin with. The serial number is 4 digits (5xxx) but it doesn't come up on the website. From the searching that I've done I believe that the brass frame is from Ruger as it is the squared trigger guard but not entirely sure. If it is I'm not sure if it's from the factory installed or not. I removed the grips are there are no markings on the frame. I know the grips are not factory but not sure about the rest of it. It hasn't had the transfer bar install either.

I have sent the serial number information request to Ruger but its going take some time before I get any info that way so I figured I'd reach out here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Ruger Blackhawk.jpg
    Ruger Blackhawk.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 87

hittman

Staff member
My guess is NO that's not a factory installed brass grip frame. Wrong trigger guard.

Your gun IS on the Ruger web site.
Scroll down and select the dialogue box for the older guns.
But, only the factory letter will confirm whether or not it was shipped with brass.

Welcome to the forum.

Rhyno

Bearcat
Thank you for the welcome, pleasure to be here.

I thought the Ruger trigger guards were squared and the after markets were rounded? but then again that's why I'm here asking questions.

I did the dialogue box search earlier but thought maybe because the website search was 50-xxxxx and mine is just 4 digits that it wasn't the right search. Again, I mailed in for the authentication but patience is not one of my strong suits.

thanks for the reply and the info, much appreciated.