Extended wait time for warranty Repair

Help Support Ruger Forum:

asteirman

Bearcat
I purchased a Super Redhawk Toklat in 454/45 Colt a few weeks back. I ordered it thinking it might take a year for another run of these revolvers. It arrived after about four months. It looked great in the store and myself and the store owner dry fired it. The action felt good and the trigger was not bad. I took it home and thought I would dry fire it a bit then break it in with some mild 45 Colt loads. In double action the action would lock up ! WTF, I hadn't even fired it yet. So I played around with it and opening the cylinder and trying the action again it would operate for a few cycles and then lock up. It appeared the trigger was not resetting. I removed the grips and didn't notice anything obvious. Thinking I haven't even shot it yet I should let the factory sort this out. Back to the shop...long story short. Back it will go to the mothership in NH for some TLC. Still no problem. Then the bomb drops " Super Redhawks are a ten to twelve week turnaround for warranty work". Wow ! I didn't even get a chance to shoot it. Seems excessive to me. What do you think ? And to boot the "Email the CEO"on the website is not available...

contender

Ruger Guru
To answer a few of your comments.
First off,,the "Ask the CEO" was a thing done mostly under Mr. Fifer when he was CEO. Currently, Mr. Killoy may not do the same thing. Besides,, the CEO doesn't "micro-manage" each & every department.
Due to several things,, Ruger has been under a large backlog of projects for over 2 years now.
Mostly, a lack of qualified workers to handle many jobs. Covid hurt them to the point that at one timeframe, they were down 65% of their workforce. They are slowly catching back up.
Next,, up north, the severe weather may be causing more problems than we understand. Back in the 1960's or early 1970's, they got flooded out. It may be happening again.

But,, have a little patience,, as they try HARD to have a quick turn-around on any warranty work. That email may be a simple way to assure they deliver in a timeframe they feel they can meet.

contender

Ruger Guru
Oh, another thought.
In May, I won a Taurus handgun at the Area 6 Regional match. I mailed my certificate to Taurus, expecting to receive my new handgun within a few weeks. Even the certificate said it was only good for 30 days.
Well, I've had several emails, and a few phone calls, where I was told; "Expect a 6-8 week delay in shipment."
The gun FINALLY arrived at my gunshop Wednesday.
And it wasn't warranty work, just a simple shipping of a new gun. Two months to get it.

Newport was severely hit with flooding this week, not sure what the area looks like currently as i have been out of the country on business but I have seen pictures of the area.

They have been trying to hire more folks in Newport consistently since Covid and are short-handed…combine that with the typical summer vacations and the flooding and warranty lead time get extended!

I'll be the bad guy and ask the questions. I am not trying to be disrespectful to you or anyone else.

After you got the gun home, did you completely strip it down and clean any/all the manufacturing grease/oil and look it over for anything that might be out of the ordinary? And then did you relube it in the correct spots? Did you SLOWLY work the action to see if you felt anything out of the ordinary?

I say this because most people don't think about doing something like that for a new firearm but over the years a whole lot of us have learned to do that be it a brand new gun or an old used gun.

Many times that could be material left over from the manufacturing process that can work its way into the firing mechanisms AFTER the tests, QC, dry firing and handling at the local gun shop are completed. It could be some metal filings, hardened grease, or who knows what.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I do not understand the title to the parent thread. What "extended warranty" is being referred to? Essentially, though not stated, all Rugers have an unlimited warranty, depending on circumstances. Without any additional expense, unlike an "extended warranty" for a Chevy truck, for example.

asteirman

Bearcat
Let me rephrase, I should have stated extended wait for warranty repair. When I brought the SRH home I slowly worked the action.That's when it locked up. I removed the grips and again worked the action. I thought I would not take it apart as it was brand new. I should have done a teardown and relube. Maybe I would have found some filings or burrs. I don't mind polishing the action or replacing springs to enhance the action. But being brand new I have the expectation it should have been functional. I also understand that Ruger has been hit by covid and I also understand the weather challenges as I live in Vermont and have received wild amounts of rain and flooding. I was surprised about the functioning issue and have no problem with returning the SBH for repair. My real issue is I feel the turn time seems excessive. I am not expecting a seven day turn. Maybe thirty. Just a bit longer than my expectation. I too defend Ruger for excellent repair work, friendly customer service, and generous parts replacement. The email the CEO is up on the website, but is not available. I understand he can not micromanage every department. But don't have it up on the site and a few lines down say it's not available. Thanks for all your feedback. I wasn't trying to stir up a hornets nest. We are on the same team.

Andy

contender

Ruger Guru
Andy,, I hope I didn't come across in any form of criticism. Your comment about an extended warranty made me think you weren't too familiar with Ruger's repair policy.

I will say that in general,, Ruger is much quicker than that. But it may be that are just so backed up with other issues,, that they sent that as a way of allowing them the time to catch things up.

As for the website,, just like MOST companies,, keeping up a website with correct & current data is a challenge. Heck, even their "serial number look-up" feature is often wrong, or hard to navigate.
Ruger is not run or operated by folks who were around when Bill ran things. Very few "old timers" left there. Many of the employees are clueless about much of their own company.

asteirman

Bearcat
Well here's the rest of the story...Ruger really did right by me. They really came through. The turn time on the repair was about three weeks. They replaced the pawl, adjusted timing, and barrel gap. Also test fired and cleaned. You can't beat that ! They must have heard all of you defending their virtue and stepped up. Just thought I'd let you know. The action is beautiful.

Andy

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I sent my SBH .480 in a few months ago and had it back in a few weeks. They likely have different teams handling the SRH.