Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remington

• Para

• Total voters

hittman

Staff member
What's your favorite brand 1911 and why?

I've left the custom shop, botique, designer makers off the list intentionally. Tried to include makers of 1911's the average person can afford that's mass produced and commonly available.

Ruger was left off 'cause we all know they're the most near and dear to our hearts! If your favorite 1911 maker isn't on the poll ~ just list it in your post if you like.

I voted RIA because it's the only 1911 I own and the first. On my list next (besides Ruger of course) would be a Para or Springfield. Think I'd likely select Para first 'cause seems like everybody around here has a Springfield.

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
I also voted RIA,even though I am refering to my Citadel compact 1911,which is also made by Armscor.My next 1911 will be a commander in a finish I don't have yet.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Colt - my first; so when I wanted another, I got another Colt since the first one had been flawless for me.

revhigh

Hawkeye
All mine are Colts except for 1 Springfield .... never had an issue in thousands upon thousands of rounds through ny of them. That's because every one except for the Springer are bone stock. The Springer is lightly modified and works and shoots flawlessly.

Currently looking at a RIA 9MM GI.

REV

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I voted Kimber. I have had several Colts, one SA, RIA, and now a Ruger. My older Kimber Classic Custom is by far the best shooting, most accurate, and most reliable 1911 handgun I have ever owned. I can't say any of them have been bad guns really. The SA was probably the least accurate but was acceptable. The Kimber just outshines them all. I have heard and read where some have not been so lucky with them. I traded my SA for the first Kimber I ever saw, and that gun will not leave me until I leave this earth.

Dan

Cholo

Staff member
I only have one 1911 and it's an early Kimber Eclipse Ultra ll. Very nice, but I wish I'd have gotten the 4" instead of the 3". Why a Kimber? Because at the time they had a great reputation (maybe still do), the Eclipse was very pleasing to my eyes, and I had the $. It sits unloaded in the back of my safe. Did I mention I wish I'd have gotten the 4"? :cry:

:wink:

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
My SR1911 is my first and only 1911.
That being said I looked at a lot of Kimbers and Springfields while I was waiting for the Ruger. Aside from my Ruger, I like the Springfields most, followed by the Kimbers. Just based on what I saw and handled at the local store. I voted Springfield.

GKC

Blackhawk
I've owned a 1911 of every make you listed except RIA and Para. I've also had 1911s made by SIG and Magnum Research. I chose Colt as my favorite (other than Ruger) because it is a good pistol and of course an icon.

I am seriously considering getting an RIA...everyone speaks very highly of them.

I don't know enough about all of them to be able to form an educated opinion.

We have all read the glowing reports on essentially all of them in the slick gun rags and on all the 'net sites, and for every good review you find you can also find a nasty one.

Most seem to agree that Colt is still the standard. Our old friend IOWEGAN says the Ruger is a lotta gun for the money. If I were in the market for one I'd likely try the Ruger at somewhere around $600 before I'd buy another brand for a hundred or so less. I'd be buying for a gun to use "as is" right out of the box with no modifications other than possibly grips and/or mainspring housing.

Isn't it wonderful to have such a varied selection?

:)

hittman

Staff member
Ale-8(1), I agree with your comments.

I know a man locally who enjoys a pretty good 1911 reputation. He also says the Ruger is a good value in the $600 range and also really likes the Range Officer at the $715 price they bring around these parts.

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
I voted RIA. Back in the 1970's I bought two Colt 1911's. A Government model, and the all steel Combat Commander, which I've traded off. Lately, I've become familiar with the RIA version of the 1911, and I am impressed with them. Fit, and function were right on par with the two Colts I used to own. If I were to buy another 1911 it would be a RIA. The Colts have priced themselves out of my reach. If I had the means, I would purchase a Wilson instead.

A.W.

pisgah

Buckeye
I have a full-size Charles Daly and a compact (Officer's) RIA (both Armscor pistols). Both are, quite simply, excellent, well-built, accurate, reliable 1911s. Not as flashy as some, but I have never been one to spend much money on flash.

SoliDeoGloria

Bearcat
I owned a few but keep going back to this one:

My Sig C3 1911. I know purists will disagree, but this has been a great gun for me. Excellent trigger out the box.

2011-12-20224134.jpg

I do like the Smith & Wesson's as well.

Pocketfisherman

Bearcat
My favorite would be Rock River Arms, but they're out of the 1911 business now. I have one of their Wad guns and one of their NM pistols. Both are superb and I'd bet I could sell them now for about 3X what I payed for them as they are in high demand by people who shoot competitively.

lark63

Single-Sixer
I had to vote for the RIA- low priced, very good quality,reliable. Finish on both
basic 45 and basic 9mm is decent but if a ding shows up so be it.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I have three Dan Wessons one Springer, and one Colt - so i guess my favorite is Dan Wesson.

Why? Fit, finish, no MIM - all around great right out of the box.