Electric Stoves?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
I thought I would update this thread. We got the new stove. I installed it a week and a half ago. The sensi-temp burners have not given any problem. They have worked fine, boiled water & done everything else my wife wanted them to do. I guess I was worried about nothing. My wife is happy she has a new stove & range hood. Happy wife, happy life.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
A few years back we had a terrible wind storm. Memphis has a lot of old trees, and these wreaked havoc on the city. We were without electricity for about three weeks. Fortunately it was during mild weather when we didn't need air conditioning.

We stayed warm from our gas floor furnaces. We ate cooked food from our gas range. Even had hot coffee, using our Cuisinart coffee maker like an old fashioned drip maker. We bathed in hot water from our gas fired water heater. We watched TV from our gas powered.............no, wait;we didn't do that. I did have to buy ice at times for Nita to have her iced tea. All in all, we made out pretty well. And, as to lights, we had some old coal oil lamps for illumination.

Bob Wright

George

Blackhawk
We have a glass top range had one for years and absolutely love it. You mentioned your wife once a stove with separate burners. Ours has separate burners. I don't understand, I must be missing something. Also has one super large burner with a push of a button you can use just the center of it if you have a really small pot or a pan! They're fast they cook very evenly. We had a regular electric before that. In my younger years my mom had a gas stove. I think the new glass type tops are similar to Glass top stoves but are induction type. And I also believe that there have to be some type of metal for them to work properly it will not work with Ceramics nor with some stainless steels. I don't know much more about the newer Electric ranges. But have an older Sears one that's a glass top and again we love it. George

I grew up with a gas stove. Mom feed us for years without any problem. I have had an electric now since the 70's and have learned to operate it like it was a gas stove (turning the heat up and down as/when needed). My one question is: Why do gas stoves have the burner adjustment knobs on the front of the stove and the electric you have to reach across whatever you are cooking to adjust them since the knobs are on the back wall of the stove.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
I grew up with a gas stove. Mom feed us for years without any problem. I have had an electric now since the 70's and have learned to operate it like it was a gas stove (turning the heat up and down as/when needed). My one question is: Why do gas stoves have the burner adjustment knobs on the front of the stove and the electric you have to reach across whatever you are cooking to adjust them since the knobs are on the back wall of the stove.
Saves having to use MORE wiring and cuts costs.

coach

Hunter
I always assumed gas stoves have the knobs in the front so you aren't reaching over open flames. Especially when turning it on and the burner doesn't immediately light and there is a puff of flame when it ignites.

Last edited:

larry8

Blackhawk
Last year I sold my electric stove and put in a new gas range. Never looked back. By the way my gas bill went up $4 per month and my electric bill went down $40 per month.

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
The glass top will etch if you get salt or sugar on it when it's hot. If you ever break a glass top, it will cost you as much as you paid for the stove to get it replaced. Our's cracked during COVID when you had to wait for a lot of appliances to be built and I was going to replace to top my self but it was as much as it was for a new stove. Ended up paying the price since my wy didn't want to wait months to be able to cook. The glass burners heat up slow but cool down even slower. I have learned to vary my cooking to match those weirdities. I'd rather had a stove with the bare coiled burners myself.

Boy, you guys get fanatical even over cook stoves... I like gas... am currently at a vacation rental that has a flat top electric.... I am once again getting used to it... it is nice and easy to clean the top.

Bob Wright: how did your gas floor furnace work with out electricity? I don't get it. I know how older gas stoves and hot water units will work with out electricity, but a gas furnace needs electricity to run the fan and push the hot air through the duct work.

I bought a very high end kitchen aid gas stove two years ago and it has a dangerous defect.... the knobs are not only on the front of the stove but it is very easy to hit one of them and turn the gas on with out turning the electric spark on and then gas comes out of the burner and does not light. This has happened numerous times over the last two years, I even got up one morning and the house was 'full' of gas. The good news is it is natural gas and not nearly as dangerous as propane... if anyone is interested I'll explain why.

The gas floor furnaces I am familiar with didn't have a fan. Warm air rises.

A quick internet search shows several currently made floor furnaces that don't require electricity.

1698751513533.png

The gas floor furnaces I am familiar with didn't have a fan. Warm air rises.

A quick internet search shows several currently made floor furnaces that don't require electricity.
Thanks, I had no idea they still made those or in fact actually did. I am familiar with the old oil fired floor furnaces like that. Pretty neat. We heat a good bit of our home with gas.... direct vent free standing stove and I also have a direct vent unit on the wall of my office. Our home originally had a oil fired floor furnace like that in the small hall way in the middle of the house. But originally the house was only 900 square feet.... now it's over 2,000.

In my younger adult years I had a gas stove and decided I don't like the idea of an open flame burning in the kitchen.

I'll stick with electric.
As to glass tops being scratched up that is the fault of the users. Just like anything else, with proper use & care they are fine.
Your missing out Gas is the way to go JMO naturally.
Besides when your power goes out your gas stove will be real handi!

trebor44

Blackhawk
Idaho, East of Boisemento, or is it Boisangelos
Gas, propane, electric, wood, fuel oil, kerosene, alcohol, campfire, coleman, motel wall heater (gas), wood-electric combo etc. they all have been used but I prefer gas for finite control when cooking. "Future waves" may not be the ultimate best choice when "fuel" is hard to come by! Gas is preferred by chefs and cooks!