Effectiveness of 22 LR shotshells?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
Joined
Sep 29, 2007
Messages
226
Location
Seeley Lake
I have unopened boxes of Federal 22 LR shotshells for pest control around the house. Most 22 LR shotshells, including my Federals, are elongated brass with star crimp and have a 25-grain #12 payload. CCI's shotshells have a 31-grain #12 payload. I view this from different perspectives. CCI has 20 percent larger payload. OR 6 grains of shot ain't much.

For my intended purpose are CCI's shotshells enough of an improvement to warrant buying a couple of boxes?
 

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
3,190
Location
51st state of Jefferson
I much prefer .22 WMR shot cartridges if you are able to use them, but CCI "capsule" .22 LR shotshells have worked "ok" on the snakes I run across occasionally. Shorter barrels work best IMO.....FWIW, Dennis
 

DGW1949

Hunter
Joined
Apr 10, 2005
Messages
3,643
Location
Texas
20% is 20%, 6 Grns of #12 shot is a bunch of little BB's, and them 22's need all the help they can get.
I think you'll find that the CCI's pattern better too.

DGW
 
Joined
Mar 24, 2002
Messages
5,514
Location
Oregon City, Oregon
Naphtali":4b6rcdhg said:
I have unopened boxes of Federal 22 LR shotshells for pest control around the house. Most 22 LR shotshells, including my Federals, are elongated brass with star crimp and have a 25-grain #12 payload. CCI's shotshells have a 31-grain #12 payload. I view this from different perspectives. CCI has 20 percent larger payload. OR 6 grains of shot ain't much.

For my intended purpose are CCI's shotshells enough of an improvement to warrant buying a couple of boxes?

Although the CCI shot capsules are an improvement, they're still only slightly better than nothing.

If you're shooting .22LR bird-shot, you owe it to yourself to pattern these on a board, at different distances, so you can see just how really inefficient these shot loads are, and trust them, accordingly.

WAYNO.
 

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
323
Location
Georgia
I used the star crimped .22lr to kill birds from about 20-25 feet out of a rifle in the early 60's (sitting with my grandfather on his back porch, culling the "bad" birds from his birdbath...

In the 80's and 90's I used quite a few of the CCI .22lr in handguns for snakes in North Georgia. Worked well, but had to be close. One day I carried a snubbie .38 instead (with a CCI shot load) and shot a large water snake, it worked great, but in the stream valley the sound echoed and numbed my ears for quite a while - I don't recommend those it without earplugs!
 

Cholo

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
6,193
Location
Georgia
I know CCI's are deadly on rats at 10' out of a 6 1/2" Single Six. I once shot a bird pecking holes in my house at 20' on the fly, but it was just luck. I havn't noticed a big improvement shooting the mags, but I guess there should be.

Seems I remember a Winchester (?) smooth bore .22 rifle made way back when for shot shells. It might have been the one a friend and I used for pest control at a plant we worked at. We'd shoot birds that made their way into the plant at 20+ feet. We also shot rats at the dumpster. Imagine getting paid for shooting! That ended when a woman driving by probably 50yds away said we shot her car window out and the Co. paid to fix it :roll:
 

tek4260

Buckeye
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
1,886
Location
carroll county ms
Bout the only thing I have found them useful for is shooting bumble bees in the barn using a Bearcat. For snakes, just use a regular 22LR.
 

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
3,190
Location
51st state of Jefferson
Not sure, but I think the WMR's have #11 shot vs #12 in the LR. Somebody will chime in if I'm wrong. But IMO, the mags pattern better from my 5.5 and 6.5 inch sixguns at "snake range" and are REALLY effective from my High Standard WMR derringer's short barrels. It'll practically take off a snake's head, or at least tear it to mush @ 6' or so....JMO, Dennis
 

Cholo

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
6,193
Location
Georgia
"You dorrrty raaat!"

Watch it RUFFBIRD! James Cagney might not like you associating him with that quote and a lowely .22 ratshot. :wink:
 

badgerrr

Bearcat
Joined
Dec 9, 2002
Messages
15
I once saw my cousin kill a ground squirrel (gopher, sagerat, you name it) at 20 yards with a single round of 22 mag bird shot from a bolt action Mossberg Chuckster.

Of course, the pattern blew out hopelessly long before reaching the critter; but a single bb unerringly caught the little guy square twixt the ear and the eye. Would never have believed it, had I not seen it.
 

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
323
Location
Georgia
I have tried pointing a battery flashlight straight up, and then shooting at the bats that come to feed on the bugs using .22 ratshot. I don't know if I ever hit one, I didn't recover any, but it was great fun, and I'm sure my neighbors were amused! I think shot loads in a .45 would be great for doves etc.
 

don44

Hunter
Joined
Mar 18, 2002
Messages
2,928
Location
Idaho
My son killed quite a few bats that were in his house with 22 WMR shotshells. They were able to nest in a strip above his attic. He pretty well cleaned 'em all out with a single six.
 

paul s

Bearcat
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
68
Location
TN.
Dont shoot bats, they eat bugs. I hate bugs!

tomiswho":2n3zp9k6 said:
I have tried pointing a battery flashlight straight up, and then shooting at the bats that come to feed on the bugs using .22 ratshot. I don't know if I ever hit one, I didn't recover any, but it was great fun, and I'm sure my neighbors were amused! I think shot loads in a .45 would be great for doves etc.
 

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
323
Location
Georgia
Another thing to do. Impress your friends. Stand an axe up next to a tree, blade pointing toward you. Inflate two balloons and place one on each side of the axe head. Stand back with your .22 pistol/revolver and tell them you are going to shoot the bullet into the axe blade, it will split, and pop both balloons. Bet them a case of beer that you can do it.

enjoy the free beer!
 

63November

Single-Sixer
Joined
Oct 20, 2003
Messages
249
Location
Alaska (63 North, 162 West)
I've shot quite a few pigeons and squirrels indoors either in corn cribs or the attic with the plain star-crimped Winchesters in ordinary rifles. I've always preferred them to the CCI stuff. Not sure why but the star-crimped stuff has worked very well and doesn't harm the sheathing nor framing.
 

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
3,190
Location
51st state of Jefferson
63November":35wpflxz said:
I've shot quite a few pigeons and squirrels indoors either in corn cribs or the attic with the plain star-crimped Winchesters in ordinary rifles. I've always preferred them to the CCI stuff. Not sure why but the star-crimped stuff has worked very well and doesn't harm the sheathing nor framing.
Yeah, I like'd them too, patterened well, but some guns don't like the extra length for extraction once they're fired! :lol: Dennis
 
Top