Early .357 Redhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Redhawk41

Bearcat
If I remember correctly the early .357 Redhawks were fairly short-lived. Can someone who is a lot more knowledgeable than me elaborate a bit more as to estimated production years (and quantities) and current real-world value of a 5.5" stainless? I wouldn't mind picking one up to match my same-era .41 Mag someday.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Sorry I can't answer your Q's.

As far as value goes, let me say this... I found one for a friend at a gun show and thinking it was desirable I literally held onto it waiting for him to arrive and buy it. After the money changed hands and the deal was done, the dealer said he was glad someone wanted it as he'd taken it to many different shows and location / venues and he had zero interest from buyers. Comments like, it's too big, only holds 6 rounds blah blah.

So regarding value I suspect it depends greatly on if one is in the collector segment as 6 shot .357 Redhawks aren't exactly a field or carry gun and triggers are not very easily tailored (reliably) to target shooters.

Anyway, I saved this a while back from a post somewhere on the internet...

My understanding is that the 6 shot 357 RH was manufactured between 1984-1985. I've also read that production of these revolvers was limited to about 5,000 with a 6 inch barrel and another 5,000 with a 7.5 inch barrel.

I hope this helps.

contender

Ruger Guru
gnappi is almost correct.
The only mistake is the barrel length. He mentions 6" & the barrels were 5-1/2". But his info was correct on the estimated production numbers.

As to values,, just as with any gun,, condition & completeness of the package affects things. I valued my NIB .357 Redhawk at $1200.00 at my last evaluation. I haven't updated it in a few years.

hittman

Staff member
The new 8 shot 5.5 inch Redhawks bring $950 to $1200 on GunBroker.
I don't know if the re-issue of these hurt the value of the 6 shot originals or not,
I would guess ( and hope ) there's a $100 or more premium on the 6 shot originals.
Same thing happened with the 4 inch SP101 in 22LR. Came out again years later with more holes,

Redhawk41

Bearcat
Thanks, guys. I thought it was only a couple of years or so but wasn't certain. Yes, my .41 Mag is pretty heavy so the .357 would be even a little more so with the smaller chambers.

hittman

Staff member
Weight difference is negligible in your hands or on the bench.

IMG_0084.jpeg

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I've had 10 of them in the past 14 years (I didn't note the barrel length on all of them but at least 4 were 5.5") and the last 5.5" gun I sold was on GunBroker in Sep 2021. It had the box/papers but no shipper. It shocked me what it sold for since I had been selling them in the Classifieds for around $1K prior to that.

The GunBroker gun went for $1975 + $50 shipping and the buyer also had to pay $161.50 sales tax.

I understand that everything was high in that mid-pandemic hysteria. But that really surprised me - I had been expecting around $1500.

Latest posts