Dry Firing In General

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
I am always a little reluctant to start a new discussion. However, I didn't see a discussion strictly regarding dry firing a firearm in general, just a couple on specific firearms.

I guess being a mechanic since high school; I just don't like the sound of metal hitting metal too much.

Here are a couple tips I've learned over the years that seem to work for me.

On my LCP, you have to "rack it" every time you dry fire that got old quick, so I found if you pull the trigger back a little ways, you can put a small piece of rubber tubing between the hammer and firing pin. This also allows the LCP to be dry fired like a double action like my P89 and P90.

And on my P89 and P90 I put a piece of tube between the firing pin and transfer bar. This also works on my new SP101 (which BTW, I absolutely love).

I have an ammo free zone in the basement I try to use at least twice a week to work on different techniques. I bought a LaserLyte LT Pro, but the rubber tubing and the snap caps dampens the sound so it won't activate. I'm working on a solution for that but not having much luck.

I don't dry fire any rifles except after cleaning and just before I put them in the safe.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Call me old fashioned but I don't like to dry fire my guns.
I know quite a few of the newer ones they say it is OK to dry fire but I have seen more than one firing pin broken from dry firing.
Especially in older double barrel shotguns.

SAJohn

Hunter
From early on I was told that excessive dry firing was a bad idea for rimfires and percussion firearms and not much of a problem with rebounding firing pin designs. I once bought an old model .357 single action which had been dry fired so much that cylinder latch was worn out where it makes sliding contact with the hammer plunder. The firing pin was still in fine working condition.

I liked your tips on the use of rubber.

I especially liked your ammo free zone for dry fire practice, don't ask why I like it so much. :)

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
AGE Ranger said:
I guess being a mechanic since high school; I just don't like the sound of metal hitting metal too much.
Guess what, the gun's making that "metal hitting metal" sound when firing live ammo, too. You just don't hear or think about it. :wink:

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
SAJohn said:
I especially liked your ammo free zone for dry fire practice, don't ask why I like it so much. :)
Must be the reason when I was in the military most of the gate shacks and armories had a few .357 inch and/or 5.56mm holes in them.

Only takes one-time

RichCoop, really good video, that sure beats having the pull it back after each shot. Thanks

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
AGE Ranger said:
Guess what, the gun's making that "metal hitting metal" sound when firing live ammo, too. You just don't hear or think about it. :wink:

You are correct. The difference is squeeze boom and squeeze tink. Ones right and ones. . . :wink:

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
AGE Ranger said:
You are correct. The difference is squeeze boom and squeeze tink. Ones right and ones . . .
. . . solely dependent on what the manual says :)