Dry Firing a new LCR22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sbyrd

Single-Sixer
I personaly don't like to dry fire my guns and really don't like to dry fire a rimfire but ruger says it won't hurt them so if the pin breaks they might fix it I use snap caps I was raised by my grandfather a( Marine ) if he caught me dry fireing one of his guns or even one of my gun it was time for the swager stick on my nuckles it has stuck with me till this day he also taught me to shoot , hunt and about God He's gettin up there in age 73 and i'm 33 I still don't dry fire my guns as he could still kick the crap out of me and out of respect for him is a great man.
Scott

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Do Not Short Stroke the Trigger Dry Firing.
From what I read when dry firing the LCR-22 you may get tired and short stroke the trigger. This may cause a problem in the Fire Control Module. Be sure and do a Full Trigger Stroke dry firing it.

It seems this problem does not seem to ever happen shooting it, just when being Dry Fired.
Not a big issue, just something handy to know. If you are getting tired pulling the trigger, Set it down and take a break. Having you Firing Hand wrapped around an Ice Cold Dr Pepper Can for a few minutes will help.

I like the above posters, am not a fan of dry firing a 22 either. Put a 12 Pak of Dr Pepper in the old cooler and take a couple 550 Paks of Federal to your favorite shooting spot. Bring some cleaning equipment, and have a Great Day.

Bob

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
I don't know how the LCR-22 works, but the firing pin in my wife's S&W 317 hits the edge of the cylinder chambers and puts a nick in them when it is dry fired, making future extraction of cartridges difficult unless I file it smooth again. Best to at least have spent .22 cartridges chambered to give the firing pin something soft to hit so it won't damage the cylinder or the firing pin.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
For a .22, I use plastic #4 drywall anchors. Fit the chamber perfectly and buffer the firing pin. When they get chewed up, throw it away and put i another. They're really cheap and work.

I picked that tip up off of another forum and it works.

Jeff

Jayhawkhuntclub said:
Does it not say right in the manuel that it is okay?
I don't worry about dryfiring Ruger rimfires.
It does say in the manual you can dry fire it. I had bought a new 38 lcr several months ago. You could pull the trigger with the cylinder out and you are not supposed to be able to do that. I called ruger and they said to send it back, so I did. I got a note from them a few days later and they said it could not be fixed, they would have to send a new one. Of course the gun dealer charges 30 bucks to do a transfer. At any rate I finally got the new one. I took it out and fired 5 rounds through and every thing worked fine. I then put it up. A few days ago I got it out and was dry firing it and it pushed the firing pin bushing out about 1/32 of an inch. Enough that you couldn't close the cylinder with bullets in it. So it is now back with ruger again. I sure hope they can fix it and not send me another new one. :cry:

TomB985

Bearcat
sharpblade7777 said:
Jayhawkhuntclub said:
It does say in the manual you can dry fire it. I had bought a new 38 lcr several months ago. You could pull the trigger with the cylinder out and you are not supposed to be able to do that. I called ruger and they said to send it back, so I did. I got a note from them a few days later and they said it could not be fixed, they would have to send a new one. Of course the gun dealer charges 30 bucks to do a transfer. At any rate I finally got the new one. I took it out and fired 5 rounds through and every thing worked fine. I then put it up. A few days ago I got it out and was dry firing it and it pushed the firing pin bushing out about 1/32 of an inch. Enough that you couldn't close the cylinder with bullets in it. So it is now back with ruger again. I sure hope they can fix it and not send me another new one. :cry:

Did they not offer to reimburse you the transfer fee?

I went through this same thing a couple of months ago with my Mk. III 22/45, and they reimbursed me the $43 after I sent them the receipt.

DGW1949

Hunter
I find it interesting that although examples of the damage which can be done by dry firing have been with us for eons, that there are still folks who persist in doing it.

But heck, Ruger say's it's OK, right?.....so what do I know?

DGW

TomB985 said:
sharpblade7777 said:
Jayhawkhuntclub said:

Did they not offer to reimburse you the transfer fee?

I went through this same thing a couple of months ago with my Mk. III 22/45, and they reimbursed me the $43 after I sent them the receipt.
They did not offer but if I get another new one, I will surely ask them.

sbyrd

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
I find it interesting that although examples of the damage which can be done by dry firing have been with us for eons, that there are still folks who persist in doing it.

But heck, Ruger say's it's OK, right?.....so what do I know?

DGW

+1 I just don't see the point in being hard on things when its so easy to use snap caps ,spent cases or drywall anchors like what was said in a above post when I read that post I had to try it what a great idea it works great thanks for the tip jeffnles1

Scott