Driving a 2014/15 Jeep Cherokee ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
http://www.wesh.com/news/chrysler-issues-recall-because-of-combustion-risk/35474312

Robert Calabrese was enjoying sun and the sea air when he got a call telling him his Jeep was on fire.

"It certainly put a damper on my day at sea sitting in the sun and relaxing," Calabrese said.

The retired police officer was on a cruise when he was told his 2015 Chrysler Jeep Latitude, which had been sitting in his driveway, mysteriously went up in flames.

In a recall letter, Chrysler warned about a problem with the automatic lift gate controls that could allow water to get inside and "become inoperative and/or cause fire."

"It says there's no remedy at this time because we don't have any parts, wait for a second letter, which told me this thing really isn't urgent," Calabrese said.

"That's the most dangerous situation that you could ever be put in," said Larry Perry, a local mechanic.

Perry said if the connector had a waterproof seal, it never would have happened.

WESH 2 News Investigates contacted Chrysler and the company confirms there was no seal, but said because of its location, the company didn't think it would be needed.

Nationwide, Chrysler said it is aware of 10 possible fires related to this problem.
The automaker is voluntarily recalling nearly 100,000 SUVs in the United States to protect the lift gate controls from moisture, which could cause a short circuit leading to a fire.

The recall impacts 2014 and 2015 Jeep Cherokee SUVs with power lift gates.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Typical jeep ....

I remember my first and second to last jeep. A brand new Cherokee xj in 1984. I brought it home, parked it, and that night it rained. The next day I got in it and stepped into 3 inches of water in the footwell. The windshield was never sealed when they put the piece of junk together. What a piece of garbage.

Jeep people have learned over the years to just accept this kind of stuff as normal ... just being 'a jeep thing' ... I don't ...

REV

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Pat-inCO said:
No, typical dodge. Or what ever they call themselves today. :roll:

Hi,

I believe that would be "FIAT." I noticed on news coverage of the Pope's visit, and the big deal about how he's riding around in a Fiat these days to reduce whatever he's reducing, that the Popemobile has been changed from a M-B to a Jeep! It just needs a bikini top for bright sunny days. ;)

Rick C

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
Maybe I am just lucky but my various Dodge Durango's and Jeep's have given me no problems. The worst car I ever had was a Chev. Camero. My current Durango and Jeep trail hawk are both 2014 models.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Bull Barrel said:
Jeep wasn't part of Chrysler until 1987. That 84 XJ was built by AMC.

LOL ... whoever built it built a pile of garbage.

Nothing could be worse than a first year for a new design .... Jeep.

REV

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I've owned Jeeps from 86,89,93, 99(X3), and 2001. Never had one that leaked. Wish I could buy another new one like the old XJ.

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
I've owned Jeeps from 86,89,93, 99(X3), and 2001. Never had one that leaked. Wish I could buy another new one like the old XJ.

Amen! I don't care for the new ones at all, but the 90's and early 2000 models were great.

6gun

Hunter
Bull Barrel said:
Jeep wasn't part of Chrysler until 1987. That 84 XJ was built by AMC.

A 84 Cherokee was junk but the Chrysler made Cherokee's with the 4.0L engines were great rigs, that new thing they call a Cherokee now days is actually a pretty good rig if you can stand the looks of it, my kid that is a auto tech at a jeep dealer says they rarely if ever come in for repairs, he was so impressed with them he brought one home one day thinking about buying it till I talked him out of it.

I think it's funny old Reve still hate Jeeps after all these years cause he had a crappy 84. :lol: :lol:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
"Amen! I don't care for the new ones at all, but the 90's and early 2000 models were great."

My Holy Grail would be one of the late 01 or 02 models with 4 wheel disc brakes and 16" rims. I've upgraded my hard use Cherokees to 16" tires but the disc brake models are scarce as hen's teeth.
If anyone is interested, I have the following that have been advertised for sale:
The one I've been driving for a year-99 2 door, 2WD, 4.0, 5 sp manual 126K red
The one Grouch Attack drives-99 4 door, 4.0, 4WD, auto 185K maroon
The one I just bought that GA doesn't like-99 4 door , 4.0, 4WD, auto,super nice, red, and GET THIS 78K that's correct only 78K miles

prairieviper

Single-Sixer
We currently own a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude but it does not have the Power Liftgate. So far, like our old 2000 Jeep Cherokee, it's been a great vehicle. I don't think that Jeep having problems is "typical" anymore than other manufacturers. You can find horror stories and disgruntled customers no matter what brand of vehicle you drive.

6gun

Hunter
revhigh said:
Look up Jeep quality and reliability ratings ....

REV

I trust ratings as much as I trust the liberal media to tell the truth and we all no that will never happen.

Ratings mean nothing and are always bias against all things American, ask real customers if you want real answers.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
The ONLY problem I've ever had with my '92 XJ 4.0 is exhaust header cracking. 350K+ miles on it and still going. Best vehicle I've ever owned in 45 years of driving... 8)

revhigh

Hawkeye
6gun said:
revhigh said:

REV

I trust ratings as much as I trust the liberal media to tell the truth and we all no that will never happen.

Ratings mean nothing and are always bias against all things American, ask real customers if you want real answers.

LOL ... Good try ... Care to explain why the liberal media would be biased against 'all things American' ?

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
revhigh said:
6gun said:
revhigh said:

REV

LOL ... Good try ... Care to explain why the liberal media would be biased against 'all things American' ?

There's not a media on the planet ... Liberal or otherwise ... That doesn't rank jeep products at or near the bottom of all auto Manufacturers. You're welcome to provide credible links if you can find any.

REV

6gun

Hunter
revhigh said:
6gun said:
revhigh said:

REV

REV

You haven't noticed? :shock:

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
These discussions on Jeep always go the same way. A bunch of people who own Jeeps and love them arguing with people who don't own them and look at magazine reports.